Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Strava question for the running/cyclists. Uploaded 34m round trip to Seaford yesterday and although a seperate activity the mileage is added to the weekly Strava activity mileage graph. This ****s up the running graph which I check to make sure I'm steadily increasing mileage and having rest weeks (dropping distance 10-20% every 4 weeks or so).

Is there a way round this? If not I'll have to upload cycling sessions and physically write them in a training plan before deleting them.
Searching google it seems this is a Strava flaw.

Should be separate? I thought as long as the activity was recorded correctly the volumes are reported separately ? You can filter your stats anyway......

Edit - kind of see what you mean....assume you’re talking simply about the blue bar chart ?

cafbf5dc3f0098bf96fb9bf7c7b7160b.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes. I'm a blue chart man. I want to seperate running, swimming and cycling without buying 3 Garmin watches.
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] may know. I'm not on premium, if that helps.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yes. I'm a blue chart man. I want to seperate running, swimming and cycling without buying 3 Garmin watches.
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] may know. I'm not on premium, if that helps.

Sorry fella, I've never looked at it at all. It doesn't seem like you can change it, but I'll have more of a look later on and see if I can rustle anything up. What do you get on Garmin Connect, do they not offer a similar graph which you can split between the activities?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry fella, I've never looked at it at all. It doesn't seem like you can change it, but I'll have more of a look later on and see if I can rustle anything up. What do you get on Garmin Connect, do they not offer a similar graph which you can split between the activities?

How’s the sub-3 training going?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
How’s the sub-3 training going?

I'm currently struggling with a groin issue, I suspect it's related to some football I played last monday! I've not run since friday but I may be out this evening for a few active recovery miles at no pace.

I've been able to do core and strengthening work in the gym, but my mileage is much lower than I wanted it to be at this stage and my 3 hour target may need to be moved to a different event. Whatever happens, I'll show up at the start line fully intending to run in 3 hours and I'll only drop the pace if I'm falling too far behind. I'm hoping that the gym work I'm doing coupled with a rest for my calves and quads may keep me ticking over enough to resume full training next week but we'll see.

How about you, how are you getting on at the moment?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm currently struggling with a groin issue, I suspect it's related to some football I played last monday! I've not run since friday but I may be out this evening for a few active recovery miles at no pace.

Good luck.

I've been able to do core and strengthening work in the gym, but my mileage is much lower than I wanted it to be at this stage and my 3 hour target may need to be moved to a different event. Whatever happens, I'll show up at the start line fully intending to run in 3 hours and I'll only drop the pace if I'm falling too far behind. I'm hoping that the gym work I'm doing coupled with a rest for my calves and quads may keep me ticking over enough to resume full training next week but we'll see.

How about you, how are you getting on at the moment?

Mine’s going okay but it’s early doors. I’m currently training for Stockholm in June and once this is out the way I up the game for Berlin and sub-3 in September. I’m currently 6 weeks into my Stockholm training and I’m plodding along, building up stamina, and just getting the distances in with no attempt to stick to times at the moment.

Aside from core-training (yet to start this) I have made significant changes to my week day diet.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Mine’s going okay but it’s early doors. I’m currently training for Stockholm in June and once this is out the way I up the game for Berlin and sub-3 in September. I’m currently 6 weeks into my Stockholm training and I’m plodding along, building up stamina, and just getting the distances in with no attempt to stick to times at the moment.

Aside from core-training (yet to start this) I have made significant changes to my week day diet.

All sounds very structured - if I can't hit the 3 hours in Brighton, I'll be looking for something in May or June. San Sebastian is very flat, but that's not until November.

Diet is something I always intend to look into more seriously, but I eat plenty of chicken and fish just as standard! A few turkey dinosaurs find their way into my system from time to time too!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I blame trail running for not being fussed about marathon times these days. Fortunately I've got years of doing long runs in reserve – and I'm a stubborn bugger – so I know that (I'm tempting fate here!) I'll always get around the course no matter what. I agree with the others who say a week shouldn't make much of a difference – much like even if your training goes to plan and it all goes to pot on the day (Brighton 2016), you just never know what could happen on the day. I've not run at all since Saturday and I think I'm oblivious to what lies ahead on Sunday. But it should be a good laugh and I know there will be plenty of 'encouragement' out on the course.

Good luck for the rhino-less run, [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION]

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Just checking in. Am now on the penultimate week 8 of couch to 5k so it’s 28 min runs this week and finishing just shy of 5k so am right on target. Thankfully no injuries to report so am chuffed it’s gone so well this time after having to abandon my first attempt with a 6 month layoff.

Also I am now an official member of the “All the gear, no idea” club having acquired 7 running tops at a factory outlet site for about £70. Once I get a few miles under my belt it will be park run time so will probably be a more regular contributor on this thread.

Actually can’t believe I started to pound the pavement at 7am this morning but that was mainly due to the fact I had to be in for a painter and decorator visit at 8am!!! I suspect that maybe a 1 off as I need my beauty sleep at my age!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just checking in. Am now on the penultimate week 8 of couch to 5k so it’s 28 min runs this week and finishing just shy of 5k so am right on target. Thankfully no injuries to report so am chuffed it’s gone so well this time after having to abandon my first attempt with a 6 month layoff.

Also I am now an official member of the “All the gear, no idea” club having acquired 7 running tops at a factory outlet site for about £70. Once I get a few miles under my belt it will be park run time so will probably be a more regular contributor on this thread.

Actually can’t believe I started to pound the pavement at 7am this morning but that was mainly due to the fact I had to be in for a painter and decorator visit at 8am!!! I suspect that maybe a 1 off as I need my beauty sleep at my age!

Well done.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
How many pairs of running shoes do people generally have on the go? I used to be in the "wear a pair until they're worn out then a buy a new pair" camp. Nowadays I have:

Saucony Ride 9 - for normal runs
Ride 10 GTX - for runs where there's rain or snow around (they are GoreTex)
Ride 10 - older pair which are still fine for a treadmill run
Brand new Ride 9 - Ready for race day in May, need breaking in.
New Balance 1400 - Bought last year. Discovered they're only really good for short runs. Don't get worn often.
Merrell Trail Shoes - For trail races

Not to mention the older pairs which I find hard to throw out.

It's an expensive business!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have 4 on the go, one pair of Asics Kayanos I keep at work for my lunch time runs, I keep Asics trainers at work as well for gym sessions (the gym is in the building) and I have two pairs of Asics Gelsomething or other at home for the other running activities.

I'm getting to the stage where at least one pair of new runners will be needed this year, maybe two. I'll keep an eye on the Asics end of range items and general cheapies which pop up from time to time. My first pair of proper running shoes were full yellow, they were sensational. If I'd known they were going to disappear I'd have bought a dozen pairs of them! I ran my first 3 marathons in them, eventually retiring them after Portsmouth in 2016 because they absolutely honked and were on the turn. :down:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How many pairs of running shoes do people generally have on the go? I used to be in the "wear a pair until they're worn out then a buy a new pair" camp. Nowadays I have:

Saucony Ride 9 - for normal runs
Ride 10 GTX - for runs where there's rain or snow around (they are GoreTex)
Ride 10 - older pair which are still fine for a treadmill run
Brand new Ride 9 - Ready for race day in May, need breaking in.
New Balance 1400 - Bought last year. Discovered they're only really good for short runs. Don't get worn often.
Merrell Trail Shoes - For trail races

Not to mention the older pairs which I find hard to throw out.

It's an expensive business!

Just the one, Brooks Ghost.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just the one, Brooks Ghost.

I like. Brooks. Started with Addiction but realised I had been given poor advice half way through BM when my feet blistered. Switched to Adrenaline for past 6 years and they are ok but still a bit clumpy. What are Ghost like? Any good for pronation?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I like. Brooks. Started with Addiction but realised I had been given poor advice half way through BM when my feet blistered. Switched to Adrenaline for past 6 years and they are ok but still a bit clumpy. What are Ghost like? Any good for pronation?

I used to wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS, and loved them. Then I bought a pair 2 years ago and found they rubbed against my little toe and gave me blisters. I assume they changed the fit, so that's when I decided to ditch them and try Saucony. So happy I changed.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I used to wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS, and loved them. Then I bought a pair 2 years ago and found they rubbed against my little toe and gave me blisters. I assume they changed the fit, so that's when I decided to ditch them and try Saucony. So happy I changed.

Are Saucony good for wider and flatter feet (not selling myself here am I) and lighter than brooks? What style?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Are Saucony good for wider and flatter feet (not selling myself here am I) and lighter than brooks? What style?

I have slightly wide feet and I find the Saucony standard fit to be fine. I've started wearing the "Ride" model, they're a neutral shoe so not really a like-for-like comparison with the Adrenaline. They're a little bit lighter and I find them incredibly comfortable. They do a wide fit version too, which I guess would accommodate the widest of feet. The Guide might be a better bet if you need a bit of support.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I can answer two of your posts in one hit here.

I also used to wear Brooks but I found that the outside of the sole on the right foot would split almost instantly. It happened to two successive pairs, I switched to Guide 9s which were awesome and then on to Saucony ISO 10s in electric blue which are the absolute business. I'm actually going to keep an eye our for other pairs as I love the fit, colour, support and balance, My old Guide 9s have been kept for longer walks and treadmill running and I still have my last pair of Brooks to remind me to never buy them again. I need to buy trail shoes, don't have these at the moment.

The Sauconys were out at lunchtime today for an intervals session. Only 1 minute intervals but as hard as I could push given a strong easterly. Heart Rate was right up there, 26 mins plus in Z4 out of a 45 min timed run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here