Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Pleased you can make the Downland Devil now. Speaking to so someone today they think it’s a tougher run than the Mince Pie so I’m expecting some big hills.

Anyone else giving this a go on the first Sunday in December?

Given that Mince Pie is now sold out, I may well give it a go (I'm right in thinking they are on the same day, aren't I?)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
For once no, the Downland Devil is a week earlier (3/12). Capacity for this race is 400 I think so it can’t be far from selling out I presume.

Ah right – can't make it then, already got plans. Shame because I need something to focus on (short-term) because running feels a bit like just plodding along at the moment.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For once no, the Downland Devil is a week earlier (3/12). Capacity for this race is 400 I think so it can’t be far from selling out I presume.

It looks like my source of entry has now decided that she's going to run it afterall, so it's looking like my year is over in terms of racing. I'm feeling a lot of fatigue at the moment, so I'm going to do a bit of lightish work in the gym and a few steady runs and then have a pop at one final 5km PB for the year before starting to attack the marathon training.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It looks like my source of entry has now decided that she's going to run it afterall, so it's looking like my year is over in terms of racing. I'm feeling a lot of fatigue at the moment, so I'm going to do a bit of lightish work in the gym and a few steady runs and then have a pop at one final 5km PB for the year before starting to attack the marathon training.

Still entries available so you can sign yourself up for this one.

I’d like to exact some revenge but my body is creaking as I push towards 1000 miles for the year for the first time. I think I’ve got 135 left to get there.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Still entries available so you can sign yourself up for this one.

I’d like to exact some revenge but my body is creaking as I push towards 1000 miles for the year for the first time. I think I’ve got 135 left to get there.

To be honest, it's one of those events that I'll run for free but I'm not keen on paying to enter. I'm 110 miles short of the 1k for the year so it seems unlikely that I'm going to get there, I think I might be done for the year now. It's been a belter for me, I really can't grumble at all. I think I'll take another stab at a 5k PB and call it a day for racing and just plod around getting some miles in.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
To be honest, it's one of those events that I'll run for free but I'm not keen on paying to enter. I'm 110 miles short of the 1k for the year so it seems unlikely that I'm going to get there, I think I might be done for the year now. It's been a belter for me, I really can't grumble at all. I think I'll take another stab at a 5k PB and call it a day for racing and just plod around getting some miles in.

If conditions are good I want to run Hove Prom on the 16/12 to try and achieve a PB otherwise probably looking at Jan for my next attempt.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath, Lewes, Seaford ?

Eastbourne Rovers, Hastings Runners.......

I appreciate your helpfulness but I shall more than likely be moving to Whitehawk from Horsham in the near future. My partner there has only been running a few months (Brighton 10k on Sunday was her first 10k run) while I've been running for 21 years. Looking for a club a bit closer to home so may well (try to) start one up.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Eastbourne Rovers, Hastings Runners.......

I appreciate your helpfulness but I shall more than likely be moving to Whitehawk from Horsham in the near future. My partner there has only been running a few months (Brighton 10k on Sunday was her first 10k run) while I've been running for 21 years. Looking for a club a bit closer to home so may well (try to) start one up.

Good luck. Don’t tell them that it meets at the bottom of Wilson Avenue every week��

D

Deleted member 2719

Sorry for not replying sooner, been away and short of time.

Simply, yes you’ll need to run more often to improve times - ideally 3-4 times per week with a mix of sessions including plenty of easy running to build aerobic endurance without taxing yourself too hard, leading to longer recovery times which then in turn limits the benefits you get from the productive sessions (tempo and intervals mostly).

Thanks for your reply and advice.

I am mainly running for a bit of fitness, I am not looking to compete apart from the parkrun so I suppose you could say I am not fully committed like yourself.
Having said that I am massively competitive whether its parkrun or i am on my own against a watch!
So I find it hard not to go as quick as I can!
I will try and be good and do a midweek slower run and hope I can build a bit of the aerobic endurance.:thumbsup:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Brighton 10k photos are out. Hey [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] I didn’t realise we were running together- I must have been ‘in the zone’!!

Snap, did not see you at all and you were right in front of me ! B10 finish.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for your reply and advice.

I am mainly running for a bit of fitness, I am not looking to compete apart from the parkrun so I suppose you could say I am not fully committed like yourself.
Having said that I am massively competitive whether its parkrun or i am on my own against a watch!
So I find it hard not to go as quick as I can!
I will try and be good and do a midweek slower run and hope I can build a bit of the aerobic endurance.:thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with that at all - no rules............if you want to improve your parkrun times a bit more structure would help, even if you only ran 2-3 times a week. Very easy to plateau if you just do the same thing all the time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I rolled myself home in 19:58 around Hove Park this morning, I feel completely out of form at the moment but I'm not too sure what's wrong. I've been a bit down on energy in the last few weeks so I'm going to hammer out a pizza tonight and knock off the booze, I've stepped up the consumption a little bit so it's time to sack it off.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm sure it has been noted on here before the effects of a fish and chip supper and a couple of beers on running performance... so that'll be a sixth place Parkrun finish for me then in a Guildford best time of 18:46-ish!

Nice morning for it mind, the ground wasn't too slippery, the paths were pretty much dry, and it wasn't too cold... and all the regular speed merchants weren't running, presumably because they're all at Dunsfold tomorrow for the 10k!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sorry to hear you are off-form. This might not make you feel any better: today's Worthing winner got under 15 minutes and in so doing broke the course record! I managed 21:20.

Yep, the winner around Hove Park was 14:25, he was a few seconds shy of Andrew Baddeley's course record! Crazy pace. My 19:58 was 40th overall, there's been a real upturn in pace around Hove Park this year, and consistently too.

Correction

He's BROKEN the course record! Previously 14:28, the young man (20-24) has smashed it, first ever parkrun. Runs for Brighton Phoenix, take a bow, Charlie Grice. Whoever you are! :bowdown:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
South Manchester parkrun this morning. Cold, very wet and a muddy course through deep puddles. 22:45 so not fast, but has set me up nicely for a large brunch before heading off to Old Trafford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Official results are in, 18:47 for me with a 73.74% AG - which I think is my best ever, being a year younger when I posted my season's best time.

:wink:

Correction Nope, my AG was 73.92% on my season's best run. I cleary need to buck my ideas up! :D

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here