Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest Pubs in Brighton

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;2633878 said:
What was the one along from the Uncle Sams in Patcham... was it the Schooner? Jesus what a shit-pit, sorta place they'd be mopping up blood and teeth come closing time.

The Snipe. Violent name as well. Suited the reputation.

Edit : I see this has been suitably covered.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The Franklin
The Wellington
The Bugle
The Victory
The Railway Bell
Grand Central
The Albion
The Market
The Montpelier

This is easy!

What's the name of that one down Queens Road that on a match day has Brighton fans who think they're tough and watch Tottenham games?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
What's the name of that one down Queens Road that on a match day has Brighton fans who think they're tough and watch Tottenham games?

Royal Standard

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
All going back a few years thinking about it I am talking 35 years the rough pubs then were:

King and Queen
Lewes Road Inn
The Bear bottom Bear road
The Battle of Trafalger Portslade
The Devils Dyke pub
The Hikers Rest

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The Junction in Burgess Hill. My sister used to go in there because she was mates with all the loons and they used to have regular lock ins where the entertainment was provided by a bouncer swinging his chainsaw around.

The landlord fired his shotgun to break up a fight once.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I know some people have asked if social clubs count but the roughest place I've been in was Alan Minter's dad's place in a basement on Waterloo Street circa 1985. It was called the Linden Club.

It was the only place you could get a drink in the afternoon before all day drinking came in. I was in there one night with the lass I was living with and a crazy women we knew asked us if we could look after her baby whilst she popped out for a packet of fags. It took us 3 days to find her after searching all the dives of Brighton before we found her again rat-arsed.

I was 22 and my girlfriend was only 18. We didn't know one end of a baby from another but had to learn quickly how to feed it and change its nappy.

The Abbey Hotel was rough then also. It was full of dossers and the only place you could get alcohol to carry out all night

31 years ago? makes the baby 30?-madness.....hope the baby made it,a funny story,also drenched with sadness and despair in all reality....

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
For me it has to be the Railway Bell near the station. Rough as hell, especially the clientel. Not too bad on a matchday as you get a few albion in there but go in there any other day and its grim!

On the other hand, as far as pubs round the station go I like the Battle of Trafalgar - decent boozer with decent ale!
Used to love the Bell back in the day on match days probably because I used to know everyone, respect to the few away fans who used to brave it.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I went in to the Hikers rest for drink after playing Basketball Agianst Sussex Uni. Felt safe as the basketball team were big lads however the window smashed and a guy walked in very embarressed and asked for his pool ball back. still don't know how he managed the shot:nono:
This was in the 70s

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Does the Hungry Years count as a pub. Paid a couple of visits in the late 70s and would always keep my head down as felt it could kick off at any time (music was good though)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I remember The Whitehawk Inn fondly. The locals with tattoos, scars, broken teeth, dripping in gold, with Staffies on leads, swearing like troopers and spoiling for a fight. Some of the blokes looked tough as well :rolleyes:

:lol:

Ha, ha but joking aside having lived in Whitehawk this does describe some of the women :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Battle of Waterloo in Rock Place, just off St James' Street was always a bit rough. The landlord had a huge boxer dog called Boocher, used to scare the shit out of me as a kid. The Stag was another rough old place. My grandad used to be the landlord of the Great Eastern on Eastern Road (near Brighton College), that place had a few characters!

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Dodgiest one I remember was at the bottom of Ditchling Road up from the Druids pub. I think it's an estate agent now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here