Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The Bison Arms

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. It's in an absolute prime area. I know for a fact that lots of big companies looked at the site but because the kitchen is an absolute shoe box decided against it. Added to the fact that there is a small nightclub included within the lease.

It's going to be an interesting venture for sure. One thing you have to remember is that for big business it's all about extracting as much profit as possible. For them, the return might not be worth it. Other businesses might not be as profit driven; 2-3% profit might be fine for Bison but not for a bigger business with investors and shareholders to look after.

Also, the bloke who runs Craft Beer Co has a habit of locating poor loss making pubs and turning them around into craft beer cash cows. The patrons of his previous pubs are, economically and mentally, very different to his customers. For whatever reason they're willing to pay a premium for a premium product. My point being you shouldn't make an inference from a previous pub selling cooking lager to the masses.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think I've got any option but to put my money where my mouth is on this one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Done.

Be nice to me or I won't let you in.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
It's going to be an interesting venture for sure. One thing you have to remember is that for big business it's all about extracting as much profit as possible. For them, the return might not be worth it. Other businesses might not be as profit driven; 2-3% profit might be fine for Bison but not for a bigger business with investors and shareholders to look after.

Also, the bloke who runs Craft Beer Co has a habit of locating poor loss making pubs and turning them around into craft beer cash cows. The patrons of his previous pubs are, economically and mentally, very different to his customers. For whatever reason they're willing to pay a premium for a premium product. My point being you shouldn't make an inference from a previous pub selling cooking lager to the masses.

No I'm with you on this 64 degrees are said to be involved on the food side and with their intricacies of the food offer they provide I would hazard a guess that the kitchen will either be re sited or would indeed take up home where the nightclub ally cats used to be.
You are also right about Craft especially their first pub which I believe is in Pimlico attached to a block of council flats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No I'm with you on this 64 degrees are said to be involved on the food side and with their intricacies of the food offer they provide I would hazard a guess that the kitchen will either be re sited or would indeed take up home where the nightclub ally cats used to be.
You are also right about Craft especially their first pub which I believe is in Pimlico attached to a block of council flats.

Agree. And a wonderful pub it now is.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It was a gay pub called the New Heart and Hand. Unusually for a gay pub, it sold decent beer - Bass IIRC. Also unusually, for the time, it had a late licence so you could drink after 11.00. The proviso was that you had to be eating, so the staff came round with plates of free sandwiches - once you took one, you could drink your fill.

Decent pub; drank there many times

Known locally as the "Prick in the Hand", as I recall.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
It's good - they sell Beaststreet IPA (or something like that) in Dead Wax Social, a lovely hoppy pint, and I have also had it at the seafront bar next to the Fortune of War.

Just for a moment, I misread that as 'Breastfed IPA'. Thought it must be the next cool hipster thing, after serving drinks in baby bottles...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
N... I would hazard a guess that the kitchen will either be re sited or would indeed take up home where the nightclub ally cats used to be.

one would have thought these option would have been available to other who have looked? the site is an enigma, as i say always seemed busy to me, so is there something unseen. on the other hand, the chap behind it has track record of setting up pubs in Brighton, i've looked at the prospectus and it all looks very promising.

bhachris

Nov 20, 2011
I was seriously considering this a few weeks ago but its the raising £100,000 for just 6.66 equity that put me off. So they are valuing this venture at a little over £1.5m before they even get started. From memory they were putting in another £50,000 or so for the other 93%...... does not stack up for me.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This is going to be VERY hard work for them and I wish them good luck, but I just can't see it working.

Anyone know what the plans are for what was Ali Cats? Used to love it in there.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
If you're the landlord, who would you prefer, BK or Bison? Got to assume BK is a stronger covenant than a crowdfunded pub. Why would the landlord be swayed by the crowdfunding, unless BK have to get a change of planning use and a bit of publicity could stop that going through?

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Just been in and had a chat with the guys from Bison and in summary (& no particular order):

£100k will get the ground floor up and running (inc kitchen)
Surveyors, estate agents, architects (Oliver Heath) are working for shares only (no fee)
Residents in flats above are all on board & involved in the council meetings
Allycats (basement) will be the micro brewery & venue
Whitbread hold the lease (3 1/2 years left) & will give Bison the option of renewing it to 25yrs
64 degrees will be mainly doing a tapas style lunchtime menu with bistro style evening fare

That's about all i can remember!

Oh, last thing..apparentlyThe Fishbowl Pub is fed up with Stag/Hen parties & will close for a refurb & when it re-opens it will be a New York craft beer style bar - Council want to tidy up that end of East St a bit more.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What the absolute...?

Since when did bison have arms?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh, and...

What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison? :jester:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, last thing..apparentlyThe Fishbowl Pub is fed up with Stag/Hen parties & will close for a refurb & when it re-opens it will be a New York craft beer style bar - Council want to tidy up that end of East St a bit more.

Last time I was in The Fishbowl was a Sunday lunch many years ago. A guy was slumped at a table with his face in a plate I presume he'd previously eaten from. 10 mins or so later his friend who was also slumped fell off his chair onto the floor.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been in and had a chat with the guys from Bison and in summary (& no particular order):

£100k will get the ground floor up and running (inc kitchen)
Surveyors, estate agents, architects (Oliver Heath) are working for shares only (no fee)
Residents in flats above are all on board & involved in the council meetings
Allycats (basement) will be the micro brewery & venue
Whitbread hold the lease (3 1/2 years left) & will give Bison the option of renewing it to 25yrs
64 degrees will be mainly doing a tapas style lunchtime menu with bistro style evening fare

Sounds excellent. I hope this is a model for future community based business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here