Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*Froch v Groves OFFICIAL thread plus other FIGHTS*

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Interesting that the punch stats had Groves landing more punches than Froch despite being being just behind just behind in the score cards at the time of the stoppage. Maybe the harder punches of Froch was swaying the judges.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Interesting that the punch stats had Groves landing more punches than Froch despite being being just behind just behind in the score cards at the time of the stoppage. Maybe the harder punches of Froch was swaying the judges.

I'm not sure they could have had him ahead even with the accuracy, his lateral movement was so poor for most of the fight. But there was a good chance they weren't going to need the scorecards once he failed to spot that Carl's left hand feints were distractions designed to give him at least one chance to smash in a right if GG kept square on, which he did.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Perhaps my final post on the matter, having reflected on last nights events we had a Scottish fight sat in front of us at Wmbley who three rounds in starting banging on about it being a mismatch, if it was why then did 80,000 buy into the whole thing? And perhaps the most disappointing when thinking about it was the fact that Groves was booed by large sections of the crowd at the end of the contest, out of order as IMHO he played his part in both the hype leading up to the fight and the 8 rounds boxing, of which prior to the knockdown he had landed the more shots.

All very fickle and a tad harsh.

Dec 3, 2012

Froch was bossing the fight, he was on the front foot and generally looked the stronger when they traded. I had Froch 1 round up going into the 8th.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perhaps my final post on the matter, having reflected on last nights events we had a Scottish fight sat in front of us at Wmbley who three rounds in starting banging on about it being a mismatch, if it was why then did 80,000 buy into the whole thing? And perhaps the most disappointing when thinking about it was the fact that Groves was booed by large sections of the crowd at the end of the contest, out of order as IMHO he played his part in both the hype leading up to the fight and the 8 rounds boxing, of which prior to the knockdown he had landed the more shots.

All very fickle and a tad harsh.

Froch was booed by the majority cockney/home counties attendees within the 5,000 at the weigh-in, and by many of the same biased cockneys when images or interviews of Froch were shown in the stadium pre-fight.
I heard the post-match booing of Groves. My guess was it an anti-Groves reaction by Froch fans, to the slagging off of Froch which Groves had done over the last 12 months.

Two wrongs don't make either right - a bit pathetic by a noisy minority, who treated it as football style partizan-ship. But thankfully just that, a noisy minority.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Froch was booed by the majority cockney/home counties attendees within the 5,000 at the weigh-in, and by many of the same biased cockneys when images or interviews of Froch were shown in the stadium pre-fight.
I heard the post-match booing of Groves. My guess was it an anti-Groves reaction by Froch fans, to the slagging off of Froch which Groves had done over the last 12 months.

Two wrongs don't make either right - a bit pathetic by a noisy minority, who treated it as football style partizan-ship. But thankfully just that, a noisy minority.
A lot of people booing Groves probably had put money on him to win with the bookies. Froch v Calzaghi could have been a huge fight a few years ago. My money would have been on Calzaghi, after he beat a peak Kessler who Froch lost too.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It was like a Yorkshire Working Men's Club circa 1971 in there during the League One Play-Off final. Marvellous.

Not to mention the recreational use of drugs from small sections of the crowd, at one point activity in the toilets in some cubicles was like a downtown Bogota bar.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

With the PPV figures smashing Hatton in 2007 and Bruno in 1996 and Froch looking at a minimum take home wage packet of £10million, for all his slagging off of Groves, with his family now secure for the rest of their lives perhaps he should remember that if Groves had just accepted Howard Foster's stoppage in November, and not pursued this re match, he wouldn't now be 10 million quid better off.

Hopefully he sends George a bottle at Christmas at the very least.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
With the PPV figures smashing Hatton in 2007 and Bruno in 1996 and Froch looking at a minimum take home wage packet of £10million, for all his slagging off of Groves, with his family now secure for the rest of their lives perhaps he should remember that if Groves had just accepted Howard Foster's stoppage in November, and not pursued this re match, he wouldn't now be 10 million quid better off.

Hopefully he sends George a bottle at Christmas at the very least.

Groves made the fight, and hopefully this will carry on when he resumes his career and knocks out that bell end Degale but that would be O2 scale at best. Hearn spoke about a fight with a 120000 crowd but god knows where that would be and who would fight then ?

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Not to mention the recreational use of drugs from small sections of the crowd, at one point activity in the toilets in some cubicles was like a downtown Bogota bar.

It certainly was, although drinking in the seats (unlike football) was welcome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here