Garcia

• Out

Votes: 51 10.4%
  • In

Votes: 379 77.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 62 12.6%

• Total voters

One wonders if that chap from Bournemouth would have been an over budget deal...he grabbed a couple tonight

Dunno tbh, haven't really thought about until tonight. Might well have been as the 2013/14 Championship budget would have been set well before the end of last season, perhaps it's the basis of the "ceiling" comment from Poyet as he knew he might be carrying the can. However, TB doesn't seem to tolerate anyone taking the P which is what Grabban seemed to be doing so I guess (and it is one) that the transfer didn't happen because we wouldn't match/exceed the new terms offered to him by Bournemouth.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Thats a easy get out mate.

We created how many chances Saturday?

What did Oscar say about stats and chances created? 23

How many top saves did there goalkeeper make? ONE. And you would expect a championship keeper to save that 100 times out of a 100.

Is not a one off. Its game after game after game.

Something is seriously wrong if we continue to "dominate" yet can't work the keeper.

If he can't change that, he has to go. Now!

Hmm I was there saturday.

Ulloa missed a couple of headers, Lingaard mucked up the one one and also put a decent effort wide, Buckley missed a header.

To put it into perspective. How many clear cut chances did Ipswich have? NONE. They scored two goals out of nothing and didn't work really work our keeper.

We consistently create decent opportunities.

I don't get why people label it as defensive football (I'm not saying you do), but other posts on this thread. We push our fullbacks up and play with a lot of width, lots of short passing and triangles in order to exploit small amounts of space.

Is it just labelled defensive because we play possession football? I guess some people just like blood and guts type of breakneck football and think everything else is boring. Personally I can appreciate both, but i prefer the technical aspects of possession football. I also like the fact that it means the other team don't have the ball.

Interestingly people talk about being scared to play the killer pass or a great through ball. In the last three seasons only one player has been capable of consistently doing that; Vicente and he was criticised by the same mob. He was capable of playing that type of ball, because he was one of the best Spanish players of his generation. It's no wonder other players can't do that. I mean how many times do we hear people slating Bruno because he tries to be too clever? Yet we hearing criticism of the players as they're boring?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Dunno tbh, haven't really thought about until tonight. Might well have been as the 2013/14 Championship budget would have been set well before the end of last season, perhaps it's the basis of the "ceiling" comment from Poyet as he knew he might be carrying the can. However, TB doesn't seem to tolerate anyone taking the P which is what Grabban seemed to be doing so I guess (and it is one) that the transfer didn't happen because we wouldn't match/exceed the new terms offered to him by Bournemouth.

Thats an interesting comment re the Poyet and ceiling....and yes it did seem to be Grabban taking the mick and demanding more.

Presuming Garcia gets another chance next season, you wonder what the budget will be then...various people out of contract ...the age of our back line...imho it won't just be tactics or indeed what manager :shrug:

jamesy's

Mar 3, 2009
****ing clueless boring football....over rated by many on here....very poor **** off back to Spain you over rated **** ...
You're full of shit why don't you just trot on up the A23 and support that lot. We don't need the likes of you.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
He had a bigger budget this season so how can his hands be tied by purse strings ?

Everything is relative. He may have more to spend but from what most of the NSC posters seem to think there is an assumption that most of our competitors have even more.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
What a stupid thread.

Oscar has inherited another man's squad losing the best player having played just a handful of games.

Add to that injuries to a number of key players.

I think he's done a fine job keeping anywhere near the play offs.

Next season will be the acid test as he'll be able to bring in some of his own men and mould the team exactly as he wants it.

For now, very much Oscar IN.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Hmm I was there saturday.

Ulloa missed a couple of headers, Lingaard mucked up the one one and also put a decent effort wide, Buckley missed a header.

To put it into perspective. How many clear cut chances did Ipswich have? NONE. They scored two goals out of nothing and didn't work really work our keeper.

We consistently create decent opportunities.

I don't get why people label it as defensive football (I'm not saying you do), but other posts on this thread. We push our fullbacks up and play with a lot of width, lots of short passing and triangles in order to exploit small amounts of space.

Is it just labelled defensive because we play possession football? I guess some people just like blood and guts type of breakneck football and think everything else is boring. Personally I can appreciate both, but i prefer the technical aspects of possession football. I also like the fact that it means the other team don't have the ball.

Interestingly people talk about being scared to play the killer pass or a great through ball. In the last three seasons only one player has been capable of consistently doing that; Vicente and he was criticised by the same mob. He was capable of playing that type of ball, because he was one of the best Spanish players of his generation. It's no wonder other players can't do that. I mean how many times do we hear people slating Bruno because he tries to be too clever? Yet we hearing criticism of the players as they're boring?
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with Vicente.

I think we are still set up in a way Vicente would suit us to a tee.

I personally prefer attacking football. Football is about scoring goal, but I think over the past year or so, its become about not conceding more than is it scoring, and to me that is boring and negative.

Whether you play 442 or not, I believe in two up front. All most successful seasons in recent history has been built on forward partnerships. Ward/Mellor Robinson/Smith Nelson/Bremner Murray/Barnes too name but a few.

Look at Burnley. Take away their attacking partnership all season, I think they'd be nowhere.

In contrast, had we had and played an attacking partnership, I don't believe the championship would be a two horse race. We'd be up there with them.

And despite the injury crisis that everyone hides behind, I think we have had the players for most games. We've had premiership loanee strikers, sitting on the bench for best part of the season. People will say they are shit. They are not shit, they are premiership players. The same people called CMS shit, yet play him out wide, he's ineffective, play him as part of a forward partnership, he has proved that he is lethal.

Ulloa in my opinion is never a lone striker all the time he has a hole in his arse. The same as Lita/Hoskins/CMS/Lingard/Barnes is not effective as a wide striker. All (well Barnes may be pushing it) IMO would thrieve playing up top with Leo, with out and out wingers, Buckley/March/LuaLua providing the width.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Well surely you've seen worse - hell, i've seen worse and i've followed them for less than half that time.

I have seen a lot worse but we have got good players, but the system that Oscar plays is just so defensive , there has only been a handful of games i have enjoyed this season .
I dont mind losing but i want to enjoy the football . we have the players but it seems he does not have the courage to play a more attacking style . we are hardly scoring a goal a game and i am tired of hearing we have lots of chances , because in most games we have very few clear cut chances or shots at goal .

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
What a stupid thread.

Oscar has inherited another man's squad losing the best player having played just a handful of games.

Add to that injuries to a number of key players.

I think he's done a fine job keeping anywhere near the play offs.

Next season will be the acid test as he'll be able to bring in some of his own men and mould the team exactly as he wants it.

For now, very much Oscar IN.
Thing is with that, I see a lot of people saying judge him after next season but I think the problem is, the crowd is getting restless.
What was it, 29000 against Ipswich? Probably 2 or 3 thousand below that if you counted bums on seats. There was an awful lot of empty paid for seats on Saturday.

I know a few good knowledgeable football people that have not renewed season tickets and have not been to every home game. The reason they give. Its boring and unenjoyable football.

If Garica suddenly showed us the attacking football he promised, then I think people would accept it more than the boring rubbish we have at the moment.

Off course if his boring football takes us up this season, all will be forgotton and he'll be a hero.

But if it doesn't then there is going to be a lot of restless paying fans at the Amex next season.

Unless has already promised to change the way we play and bring the attacking football he promised, I think the club will be taking a massive gamble leaving him in charge next season if he fails this season, purely down to the lack of entertainment value.

Personally as much as I love the club, I would not take that gamble.

I think the short term future is far more important than people think it is.We are on a crest of a wave still. The Amex syndrome that the doom merchants have predicted for the past few seasons, is very closely upon us. If this style of football carries on into next season, and we fail to make the play offs, then the drop of in support will be massive IMO.

I think it may have happened this season, but for the fact we are still in the shout for the play offs.

If this does continue and this time next season when ticket renewal time comes around, and we are well outside the play offs, then I think the Amex syndrome will kick in, and I for one would rather act now, by either ordering Garica to play to style he promised when he joined, or simply let him go and act in the short term interests of the club, because without short term success (until the end of the year), I think the mid term outlook (next 3 or 4 seasons) is bleak.

Last edited:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Out for me, the same slow, methodical dull shite we've had for the last 3 years and I'm absolutely sick of it. Don't care what the results are like if we have to play ugly football to get them I'm not interested.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with Vicente.

I think we are still set up in a way Vicente would suit us to a tee.

I personally prefer attacking football. Football is about scoring goal, but I think over the past year or so, its become about not conceding more than is it scoring, and to me that is boring and negative.

Whether you play 442 or not, I believe in two up front. All most successful seasons in recent history has been built on forward partnerships. Ward/Mellor Robinson/Smith Nelson/Bremner Murray/Barnes too name but a few.

Look at Burnley. Take away their attacking partnership all season, I think they'd be nowhere.

In contrast, had we had and played an attacking partnership, I don't believe the championship would be a two horse race. We'd be up there with them.

And despite the injury crisis that everyone hides behind, I think we have had the players for most games. We've had premiership loanee strikers, sitting on the bench for best part of the season. People will say they are shit. They are not shit, they are premiership players. The same people called CMS shit, yet play him out wide, he's ineffective, play him as part of a forward partnership, he has proved that he is lethal.

Ulloa in my opinion is never a lone striker all the time he has a hole in his arse. The same as Lita/Hoskins/CMS/Lingard/Barnes is not effective as a wide striker. All (well Barnes may be pushing it) IMO would thrieve playing up top with Leo, with out and out wingers, Buckley/March/LuaLua providing the width.

I think we do play attacking football. It's based on using possession to create attacking opportunities. If you're referring attacking without consequence then I can see why you're disappointed. I guess I like the evolution that has happened in European football, where the spanish model has merged the italian tactical defensive set up with the technical aspects of dutch "total football".

If we didn't play a form of attacking football we wouldn't have the number of shots we do. If you think that the number of shots we have isn't enough, on average we have more shots than the opposition.

The issue is our finishing.

This website is quite interesting http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/211/Statistics/England-Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here