Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great night for us...

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
It's in our hands. If the boys want it badly enough then it will happen.

We can't rely on the other results but hopefully someone will do us a favour.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If we win the league then we can look back at that draw as a good result for us. I am of the opinion that the draw keeps us hunting two places rather than scrapping Burnley for one. Let those teams worry about us racking up cricket scores and playing without fear.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Some interesting comments considering Burnley are 20 games unbeaten and Boro have taken 19 points from the last 21 on offer.

I was looking for positives, tbf. Unlike me, I know :)
However I don't see that anything I wrote is completely off the wall is it? Particularly if you acknowledge the "positive" approach?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Let's not forget that last nights wonderful result was not against a poor hard up club. I have seen us thrash the Halifax's and League one minnows before but this was QPR. A club owned by a money-bags chairman and were tipped for a quick return to the Prem. it was us that humiliated them!
Let's savour the glory days and be proud... :albion2:

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
We should stop worrying about the other 2 it's completely in our own hands, win our last 3 games and we are promoted. 1st or 2nd I don't care both places gets us where we want to be.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Why are people acting like the equaliser means nothing, its a huge point for Burnley and a point that could put us out of the top 2 come the end of the season.

That's absolute nonsense. There are 3 teams in the hunt for two automatic promotion places. Every game has a potential 3 points up for grabs and a draw reduces that potential 3 points down to 2 points. The draw was always going to be the best result for us because it gives us much more permutation chances in the remaining games for us to go up.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You're guessing / assuming Boro win their 2 and Burnley their other 2. We won't know if it was good or bad until the end of the season really. Certainly not 'disastrous' as 1 point vanished into thin air as a result of it..
I like this way of looking at it. We don't know which points, if any, gained above us will matter in the end, so the fewer in total the better.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Trying to work out why a draw is so disastrous. Presumably there is an assumption that Burnley are going to win their last 3? In which case we'd need to have won the last 3 regardless as to whether or not they got that extra point. All I can see it does is bring Boro back into the fold. The same rules still apply - unless one of the others stumbles we need to win all 3.

Siney

Jan 22, 2008
That's absolute nonsense. There are 3 teams in the hunt for two automatic promotion places. Every game has a potential 3 points up for grabs and a draw reduces that potential 3 points down to 2 points. The draw was always going to be the best result for us because it gives us much more permutation chances in the remaining games for us to go up.

Disagree. Let Boro run away with it and chase second, or else end up in the misery of the play offs. (which Sheffield Wednesday will end up winning having 10 less points then us, is that fair? **** it thats football.)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Disagree. Let Boro run away with it and chase second, or else end up in the misery of the play offs. (which Sheffield Wednesday will end up winning having 10 less points then us, is that fair? **** it thats football.)

Seemed fair enough when we got promoted from the play-offs in league 1. Only 5 points between us and Bristol City though who we beat in the final.

07May2016

Apr 8, 2016
Will you hurry up and drop some effing points!!! I think a draw was the best result for you last night. You want the pressure on both us and Burnley going into the last games, we have tough fixtures so we could easily drop some more points. A few of you predicted exactly how our game would go on here, we played them of the park, all Burnley have is long diagonal balls. They're actually a very poor team to watch in comparison to Boro and Brighton. That said i can't see them dropping points now with their easy run in. It's all going to come down to that last game and which team can cope with the pressure. It might be the nature football fan pessimism in me, but it could work out better being away from home as a desperate home crowd and any groans after missed chances/poor passes might weigh heavy on the players.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Way I see it, Boro will be more than concerned right now. Of late, they have managed last gasp wins(to sides who had nothing to play for), and were on the receiving end themselves of a late goal. They may only need a draw on the final day, we will most likely have to win. Only needing a draw can effect players mindsets, knowing this would suffice. I'd rather be our position, playing to win etc, something we are doing rather well of late...

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

This is true. Hughton said on the radio last night that he would have looked silly hoping for one result from last night's game, only for the results in subsequent matches to show that his hoped for result was the worst scenario for us. With 'Boro not winning, I am not just hoping that PNE get an unlikely result, but also dreaming of Mick McCarthy smiling that big smile of his and shrugging that them's the breaks when a reporter suggests that Ipswich have ruined 'Boro's season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Will you hurry up and drop some effing points!!! I think a draw was the best result for you last night. You want the pressure on both us and Burnley going into the last games, we have tough fixtures so we could easily drop some more points. A few of you predicted exactly how our game would go on here, we played them of the park, all Burnley have is long diagonal balls. They're actually a very poor team to watch in comparison to Boro and Brighton. That said i can't see them dropping points now with their easy run in. It's all going to come down to that last game and which team can cope with the pressure. It might be the nature football fan pessimism in me, but it could work out better being away from home as a desperate home crowd and any groans after missed chances/poor passes might weigh heavy on the players.

This is a Boro fan talking sense. At least a draw has kept them in our sites. They're not Barcelona FFS - and yes, I agree Boro & Brighton are by far the best 2 teams in this league. Burnley are a long ball and set piece team for sure.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

wtf are you on??? we need to win 3 games of football and if we don't and we are in the play-offs, so what? we then have to win 3 more games.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This is true. Hughton said on the radio last night that he would have looked silly hoping for one result from last night's game, only for the results in subsequent matches to show that his hoped for result was the worst scenario for us. With 'Boro not winning, I am not just hoping that PNE get an unlikely result, but also dreaming of Mick McCarthy smiling that big smile of his and shrugging that them's the breaks when a reporter suggests that Ipswich have ruined 'Boro's season.

Big Mick likes Chris so he will be out to do him a favour for sure

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because it changes nothing. Before tonight it was 'win our last 4, we go up' just now it's 'win our last 3 we go up and as champions potentially'
No, it does change things. Before Burnley's equaliser it was:
'win last 3 and we're up, but there's also a fair chance winning 2 will be enough' (and we could play Middlesbrough after they've had a week long party)
after their equaliser it's
'win last 3 and we're up, winning 2 probably won't be enough'.

Its in OUR hands. Would rather have that and I bet the players would as well.
It's always been in our hands. If Burnley hadn't equalised it would still be in our hands. The players would have liked Bunrley to lose.

That's not right NooBHA - it's not about the number of permutations, it's about the likely results and how likely it is to get promoted. I'm sure Chris and the players would have liked a Middlesbrough win.

Trying to work out why a draw is so disastrous. Presumably there is an assumption that Burnley are going to win their last 3? In which case we'd need to have won the last 3 regardless as to whether or not they got that extra point.
There was the hope that Burnley draw against Preston, and the expectation they win their last 2. If that happens, 2 wins and a draw would have been enough for us, but now we need to win them all.

A few of you predicted exactly how our game would go on here, we played them of the park, all Burnley have is long diagonal balls. They're actually a very poor team to watch in comparison to Boro and Brighton.
You can say that again. They're anti-football and have been lucky to have avoided injuries.

It's all going to come down to that last game and which team can cope with the pressure. It might be the nature football fan pessimism in me, but it could work out better being away from home as a desperate home crowd and any groans after missed chances/poor passes might weigh heavy on the players.
You might find that we're no longer in contention by then. We would hope to beat Charlton (but obviously might not), but beating Derby won't be at all easy.

This is true. Hughton said on the radio last night that he would have looked silly hoping for one result from last night's game, only for the results in subsequent matches to show that his hoped for result was the worst scenario for us.
Yes, that's why he didn't say he wanted Burnley to lose, it's better for him to keep it to himself. Knockaert wasn't so reserved and said he wanted Burnley to lose.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That's not right NooBHA - it's not about the number of permutations, it's about the likely results and how likely it is to get promoted. I'm sure Chris and the players would have liked a Middlesbrough win.

I think the only result he didn't want was a Burnley win. Apart from that he didn't care. He knows that he just has to concentrate on his team winning and if that happens nothing else matters

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Two words for you which MAY be important.

GOAL DIFFERENCE.

The last two results have actually made that an interesting possibility.

Let's SMASH Charlton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here