Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple keynote from 5pm

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've got £2,500 to spend on my e-learning budget on tech stuff but nothing is floating my boat sadly. Reluctantly I think I'll get a SurfaceBook from the Dark Side instead.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I only use my iPad for reading papers and mags and imparting my knowledge and wisdom on NSC...guess the normal sized IPad Air 2 will do.
If that's all you use it for then you're not tied in to buying Apple. So why not get an Android tablet that will do that stuff (and lots more) just as well for a fraction of the price? Makes zero sense.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Nothing to see here then, apart from an iPhone 6s in the body of an iPhone 5. Which I imagine will appeal to a very small number of potential customers.

They reckon their is a big market of people like me with a 5 that have not upgraded as they don't want a bigger phone (60% of users). 64g iPhone SE available from 31 March (order from 24 March) 439 pounds - better processors and camera

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If that's all you use it for then you're not tied in to buying Apple. So why not get an Android tablet that will do that stuff (and lots more) just as well for a fraction of the price? Makes zero sense.

Fair point but I prefer Apple products.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Attachments

• SE 11.jpg
    SE 11.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 191

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
They reckon their is a big market of people like me with a 5 that have not upgraded as they don't want a bigger phone (60% of users). 64g iPhone SE available from 31 March (order from 24 March) 439 pounds - better processors and camera

i am one of them..... i dont want a massive phone that does not fit in my pockets easily.. stuck with the 5 and went on a sim deal......when the phone conks out ill think about the new release!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fair point but I prefer Apple products.
It's funny, and I'm not judging, but I love comments like this.

You think you're buying something better and the marketing means that enough people agree so that confirms your feeling that you're buying a superior product. When you're not.

We're all guilty of this but Apple have tapped into this part of the human psyche better than any company ever and conned the world.

I've got a Golf GTD. The equivalent Skoda Octavia VRS or Seat Leon (can't remember the version) that have the same engine would have been cheaper. Equivalent Audi A3 more expensive, same engine. I like Golfs.

However, if the Golf cost twice as much as the Leon, had half the storage space, wasn't allowed to be altered in any way unless I paid way more again and forced me to only buy "VW fuel" which cost a fortune and was exactly the same as normal fuel then I'd buy the bloody Seat and shake my head at anyone driving a Golf.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

The great allure of the Apple product is that it still works long after the MS/Android (i.e. other stuff) has given up. My Macbook is now 8 years old and my MacAir is 5 years old and both are still tiptop. In the meantime all my kids have been through at least 3 PCs/Laptops each.

So the value product is the Apple product. 'Value' vs 'Cost'...what most accountants fail to understand or comprehend.....

TNBA

TTF

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Dacia, Hyundai, Kia, Renault, Fiat etc make some very reliable, cheap cars, but people still buy Mercedes, Audi and BMWs :shrug:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The great allure of the Apple product is that it still works long after the MS/Android (i.e. other stuff) has given up. My Macbook is now 8 years old and my MacAir is 5 years old and both are still tiptop. In the meantime all my kids have been through at least 3 PCs/Laptops each.

So the value product is the Apple product. 'Value' vs 'Cost'...what most accountants fail to understand or comprehend.....

TNBA

TTF
Except Apple's business model is based entirely on people replacing their phone/tablet/laptop when they don't need to.

If their products were really so good that they lasted that much longer than their competitor's they'd be f*+ked because nobody would buy new ones.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My PC is 6 years old, still perfect. What's wrong with your kids laptops and PCs? Is it that they've installed junk on them and you don't know how to sort it, have they damaged them, or did you buy rubbish PCs in the first place? Old PCs aren't suddenly bad.

My iPhone 4 didn't last long before it couldn't connect to wifi though.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Dacia, Hyundai, Kia, Renault, Fiat etc make some very reliable, cheap cars, but people still buy Mercedes, Audi and BMWs :shrug:
I already did the car analogy and don't bring Fiat, Hyundai, Renault etc into the mix because that's like buying a dodgy Chinese phone off eBay (with supposedly the same spec as an HTC, Samsung or iPhone) and then complaining when it goes wrong or isn't as good as you'd hoped it would be. [emoji6]

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Are you putting say, the Sony models in the former and Apple in the latter in this instance?

Not really, the previous poster had suggested that there were far cheaper products that were just as good if not better. Sony phones are great, as are the Windows phones. None of them are 'far cheaper' than iPhones, iPhone starts at £349, for their latest specification processors, screens and OS. There are of course cheap android phones, and they do the job for sure, but as others have said, they just don't last as long. I had a new (company provided) HTC android phone three or so years ago, it's in the drawer in my desk, unused for at least two years. I bought an older, lower spec, second hand iPhone 4s which simply did the job better. I now have a Samsung Galaxy phone for work, it's very good, but also is nothing like 'far cheaper' than an iPhone, in fact I think it cost more than the new iPhone SE. Horses for courses I guess, I'm happy with my Samsung, but if I was buying my own phone, and I could afford it, I wouldn't buy a 'cheap' one, Samsung, Sony, Google (Nexus) all make cracking phones, as do Apple, I'd go and check them all out. And I'd probably buy the Apple as in my experience when I've had the 3GS and the 4S they've outlasted Both Blackberry and HTC android phones I've had.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Except Apple's business model is based entirely on people replacing their phone/tablet/laptop when they don't need to.

If their products were really so good that they lasted that much longer than their competitor's they'd be f*+ked because nobody would buy new ones.

Staggered brand loyalty. You have a customer with an 8 year old laptop that has served them well - they're going to buy that brand again. Multiply that worldwide and it's not customers just upgrading annually, it's all sorts of time periods. The sheer volume means they'll be having those that are still on a 3GS after 6 years upgrading at the same time as the nerd who needs the latest phone every year. They're a technology company, don't we expect all technology companies to innovate year on year!? It's the point of them isn't it? :shrug:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I already did the car analogy and don't bring Fiat, Hyundai, Renault etc into the mix because that's like buying a dodgy Chinese phone off eBay (with supposedly the same spec as an HTC, Samsung or iPhone) and then complaining when it goes wrong or isn't as good as you'd hoped it would be. [emoji6]

In last years customer Driver Power (UK) survey Kia, Skoda, Hyundai, Renault, MG and Fiat, amongst others, all came above any Audi, Mercedes or BMW, I guess the car analogy does work a bit. Those brands are nothing like buying a cheap chinese knock offs, yet still people buy premium brands, in huge numbers, perhaps (assuming they can afford it) because people see the value rather than the price.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Staggered brand loyalty. You have a customer with an 8 year old laptop that has served them well - they're going to buy that brand again. Multiply that worldwide and it's not customers just upgrading annually, it's all sorts of time periods. The sheer volume means they'll be having those that are still on a 3GS after 6 years upgrading at the same time as the nerd who needs the latest phone every year. They're a technology company, don't we expect all technology companies to innovate year on year!? It's the point of them isn't it? :shrug:
Except that's not what happens is it. Did you see how the markets absolutely shit themselves when 1st 1/4 iPhone sales were down year on year for the first time?

If even 50% of their customers were only replacing their product because it wasn't working properly any more then they'd be screwed.

Yeah they're a technology company but the cult sells more than the product these days. C'mon, FFS everyone knows this!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Except that's not what happens is it. Did you see how the markets absolutely shit themselves when 1st 1/4 iPhone sales were down year on year for the first time?

If even 50% of their customers were only replacing their product because it wasn't working properly any more then they'd be screwed.

Yeah they're a technology company but the cult sells more than the product these days. C'mon, FFS everyone knows this!

Staggering to think that you think everyone knows something, which clearly they don't, otherwise the firm, that you quite obviously just don't like, would be the biggest company in the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here