Sussex by the Sea
tenor.gif

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Without these voracious hunters prowling the night, just think about how many other bugs and beasties you would be sharing your homes with. If I find one trapped or cornered by the kids I catch it in a jar (screw touching the big ones!) and set it free under the stairs or behind the kitchen cupboard, where it can contine it’s (free of charge) insect control.

I normally do this too, but they are so big this year that I fear for my cat’s life...

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
We have always used the conker theory, as my daughter insists it works, and generally I haven't had any but we have been visited by 2 quite large ones over the weekend. I just pick them up and put them out the door. I'm sure they'll be back at some stage.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Have had two monsters appear in the hall this weekend creating mass hysteria . They looked bigger and uglier than usual- warm summer?

Three more big lads / lasses in the understairs cupboard yesterday.

Anyone tried the peppermint thing around the windows. I guess that's how they come in as they dont ring the door bell...or is that a myth ie the route in and the peppermint thing.

We use Peppermint spray, it definitely seems to deter them. Still get the odd one but nothing like we used to. Spray around the windows & doors .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
None in the house but plenty in the garden. As for mice, spring trap. But we've had none for 25 years.

However.....my batty neighbour insists she can compost cooked food in her special composter. Yes, right. 'Perfectly sealed to prevent infestations'. Until I saw a rat as big as a small dog belting across my lawn a few years ago. She had to get the council out.

She has an organic pesticide free garden, but she's allowed bindweed, ivy, nettles and brambles to take a foothold. Fortunatley she has paid a neighbour to clear it a bit, and I pitched in as a volunteer and cleared 15 large bags of weed shite over the weekend. I went nowhere near the composter though. Rumour has it that Katie Hopkins is planning to move into it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
None in the house but plenty in the garden. As for mice, spring trap. But we've had none for 25 years.

However.....my batty neighbour insists she can compost cooked food in her special composter. Yes, right. 'Perfectly sealed to prevent infestations'. Until I saw a rat as big as a small dog belting across my lawn a few years ago. She had to get the council out.

She has an organic pesticide free garden, but she's allowed bindweed, ivy, nettles and brambles to take a foothold. Fortunatley she has paid a neighbour to clear it a bit, and I pitched in as a volunteer and cleared 15 large bags of weed shite over the weekend. I went nowhere near the composter though. Rumour has it that Katie Hopkins is planning to move into it.

We’re regularly getting rats in the garden at the moment......the neighbours have them too. Pretty sure they are mostly nesting under my neighbours decking but we’re getting a few tunnels in the lawn as well. They also keep burrowing under the fence at the bottom of the garden but the borders on to open woodland which is a nature reserve - so no chance we can get rid of them. Have some poison down, have blocked the tunnels in the lawn and also taken out a few with an air rifle. Crumbs from the bird feeders are keeping them coming but I don’t want to stop feeding the birds.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If I see one in the bath, I tear off a long strip of loo roll, and drape it over the side, so it can get some traction to climb out. It always works.
I'm quite happy to share my home with out eight legged friends, although a few years ago, we had quite a large beastie with only seven legs, residing on the stairs wallpaper. We christened him Septimus, and said good morning to him every day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We’re regularly getting rats in the garden at the moment......the neighbours have them too. Pretty sure they are mostly nesting under my neighbours decking but we’re getting a few tunnels in the lawn as well. They also keep burrowing under the fence at the bottom of the garden but the borders on to open woodland which is a nature reserve - so no chance we can get rid of them. Have some poison down, have blocked the tunnels in the lawn and also taken out a few with an air rifle. Crumbs from the bird feeders are keeping them coming but I don’t want to stop feeding the birds.

Fortunately the rats have now gone.

Mmmmm....you remind me about when I put out one of those fat things for the birds the other winter, though. I put it in a tree. I popped out one late evening as I often do with a torch, and there was a bloody mouse up the tree, scoffing the birdfood. The whole thing was gone in a day. So I feed the birds more carefully now (and I never scatter things on the lawn).

We had a fox sunbathing on the lawn the oher morning. Frogs in the pond, and lizards and slo worms hither and thither. Hedghogs rare these days but we still get them (tell tale poo, and their wee burns the lawn - I suspect they are part 'Alien').

We are also on the edge of town, with open land nearby (the marshes) but it is reasonably urban. If only my neighbour would keep her's under control.....:thumbsup:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Have loads in my flat. A huge one ran across the front room so I put it out on the window ledge. It desperately scurried straight back in again.
I don't like to vaccum incase I hoover one up .... shame

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My friend spoke of getting his vacuum cleaner in action last week to capture an octo-legger or two. He has a new see-through hoover though, so when sucked in the spider can be seen scampering in panic-stricken solitude in and amongst the balls of hair and nail clippings within the heart of the machine.
Not hugely joyous when catching sight of the little creatures, but I love a good spider web, and working out how they managed to fling the makings of their weavery from lamppost to hedgerow 2 metres apart.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Wasp Spiders

Read about these in Viva Lewes at lunchtime. The female is about 3 times bigger than the male and after they've 'done the business' :love: he turns into her lunch :mad:

Stumpy Tim

My friend spoke of getting his vacuum cleaner in action last week to capture an octo-legger or two. He has a new see-through hoover though, so when sucked in the spider can be seen scampering in panic-stricken solitude in and amongst the balls of hair and nail clippings within the heart of the machine.
Not hugely joyous when catching sight of the little creatures, but I love a good spider web, and working out how they managed to fling the makings of their weavery from lamppost to hedgerow 2 metres apart.

I used to vacuum up Hunstman Spiders in Oz. I was worried they might crawl back out, but apparently the vacuum smashes up all their legs and they die. Surprised your spiders survive that

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Had a large spider appear in the bath much to the dismay of Mrs DCH - one of the biggest I have seen in a while. In my usual humane way (or trying to prove that they are harmless) I went to pick this big bugger up but he was very rapid and I couldn't get him in my hands. Ended up washing him down the plughole - he was a strong swimmer - but expect to see him back again soon.

Me too. Why is it always the bath? Do they climb up the pipes? how?! maybe we only notice them when they're in the bath and there are really scores in the house...scary thoughts...

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Me too. Why is it always the bath? Do they climb up the pipes? how?! maybe we only notice them when they're in the bath and there are really scores in the house...scary thoughts...

I believe the ones in the bath are the ones that have fallen in there. I think baths have a shallow trap that contains water so might would struggle to get through that.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
284B1132-F0EB-4B06-A586-1CE463D9D908.jpeg

This beastie was on my daughter’s garden hose. :eek:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills