Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brighton & Hove Albion Vs Nantes Friendly (03.08.18)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't be and look at the names, something CJ refuses to acknowledge?

I'm not refusing to acknowledge at all. Sometimes injuries, the quality of the squad etc force Hughton's hand - thus the 5 starters v Man City as you point out.
Sometimes he eases them in (Scheletto, Izquierdo although he started pretty early on) or not (Locadia).
And sometimes he doesn't. Its just he prefers the player and straight in they go replacing first teamers - eg: Duffy, Knockaert, Murray.

I'm just questioning the assumption by some posters that "easing them in" is what Hughton does, only does and always does and thus don't expect Bissouma, Alireza, Bernardo, Andone etc to start v Watford or indeed tonight.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Last pre-season friendly I went to was against Worthing in, I think, the late 90s so looking forward to tonight. Practical question: is the normal catering available outside the ground?

Just seen the pre-match brief - outside bar and food outlets open from 5pm; music on the bandstand from 6.15pm.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Thankfully the game is not this afternoon, I'm already too hot, hopefully a cool and pleasant 22 tonight

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Still debating whether to get tickets and take my boy (4) to his first game? Couple of things putting me off is the travel (from Crawley) and also its normally his bed time when the game would be kicking off. Dont really want to leave half way through!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still debating whether to get tickets and take my boy (4) to his first game? Couple of things putting me off is the travel (from Crawley) and also its normally his bed time when the game would be kicking off. Dont really want to leave half way through!

Not convinced that 99% of 4 year olds aren’t a little intimidated by shouting crowds and in my experience not that interested in watching 90 mins of football without getting very fidgety.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

I'm taking 8 year olds and they'll be zonko-ed by the end. I wouldn't take a 4 year old to this one, sorry.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't wait for tonight, finally back at the Amex......

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Take him. Barely a better game to go to: nice and warm, lots of space in some areas of the ground so he won't have to sit still and the concourses won't be rammed. He'll catch up on sleep.

(I've just booked mine for the North Stand)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's a myth; in last season's opener we started with 5 new players: Ryan, Suttner, Gross, Propper and Brown.
But they, unlike Alireza, had been with us for most if not all pre-season. They were also match-fit, unlike Jahanbakhsh who has admitted he's off the pace.
Add to that the fact that injuries/transfers meant we didn't have much choice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Take him. Barely a better game to go to: nice and warm, lots of space in some areas of the ground so he won't have to sit still and the concourses won't be rammed. He'll catch up on sleep.
And you can chat to him and try and keep him entertained a little without annoying the people around you that you're not paying full attention to the football.

Take something to do at half time. Take some sweets - one sweet every 5 minutes (or whatever), to keep him happy, and so he can learn how long the game is and check the clock (very useful for nervously counting down the minutes in those games where we take the lead). etc

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

(I've just booked mine for the North Stand)

I concur, I took my daughter to the first game at the Amex (Sussex Senior Cup Final) when she was 2 she got bored so the wife and her went for wonder around the concourse for a while, she has since been back over ten times and is getting more used to the crowds and swearing !!! last few times she has been in the North Stand and loved it.

Never a better game to blood your child, it is not like they have school in the morning.....

Get down there.

A little tip, to keep mine interested we took a pen and got a programme, I get her to put ticks next to the players that are playing, mark the time when someone scored etc, then I ask her to mark our players out of 10 and the oppositions best player, I know she is not paying attention all the time, but you will be surprised a little interaction with them makes them part of it and they also want to please you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A little tip, to keep mine interested we took a pen and got a programme, I get her to put ticks next to the players that are playing, mark the time when someone scored etc, then I ask her to mark our players out of 10 and the oppositions best player, I know she is not paying attention all the time, but you will be surprised a little interaction with them makes them part of it and they also want to please you.
Good ideas, hadn't thought of those.

My kids play 'guess the player' when we're in the car (one thinks of a player, the other asks questions like 'is it a midfielder?', to eventually guess who), so they always know our full squad.

PS - we're currently calling him AJ

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Good ideas, hadn't thought of those.

My kids play 'guess the player' when we're in the car (one thinks of a player, the other asks questions like 'is it a midfielder?', to eventually guess who), so they always know our full squad.

PS - we're currently calling him AJ

Keep this one under the radar, don't tell the wife because she won't be happy, but we also play spot the player scratching his bum or picking his nose (usually someone on the bench)

Just keeps their eyes on the pitch & before you know they turn to you and go "dad did you see that pass or tackle"

Slowly Slowly catch the monkey, she is now so much into it we may get a season ticket for Women's team.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire

From my experience, they lose focus quite quickly until they are around 6 (my boy's first match - he was really interested in everything that was going on until about 30 second before kick off then played on my phone for the actual match) but they absolutely love going from about 4/5. I'd concur with the other posters - take lots of sweets, drinks, books, colouring plus a tablet or phone so they don't get antsy and spoil it for you (and them - and everyone around you) when they do get bored.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This pre- season friendly got me thinking about the first time I saw us playing good foreign opposition.

It was at the Goldstone, early 90s, and they were East European.
It was a game of two halves, i think we won, but, it was tight, either we got a few in the first half, and they got a few in the second half, or vice versa.
That is really all I remember about it, and I'm not very sure about any of that.
Any ideas, anyone??

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I was thinking 12k was pretty decent for a friendly.
It would have been a lot more if Reading weren't on tv tonight.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
This pre- season friendly got me thinking about the first time I saw us playing good foreign opposition.

It was at the Goldstone, early 90s, and they were East European.
It was a game of two halves, i think we won, but, it was tight, either we got a few in the first half, and they got a few in the second half, or vice versa.
That is really all I remember about it, and I'm not very sure about any of that.
Any ideas, anyone??
Steaua Bucharest?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here