Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You were right, a few turns and it was sorted. Seemed so much smoother today.

Sadly having had two weeks off I'm now incredibly unfit. My legs were fine but not the cardio!

I've still got a slight problem with my left pedal though. It's making a horrible click noise. I'm hoping it's just the cleat. I tightened up the cleat's tension a little which seemed to stop it for a bit but it was awful today, particularly going up hills.

Take the pedal off, clean and regrease the thread and see what happens. Also, sounds silly, but have you checked for mud in that cleat on the bottom of your shoe? That's given me a squeak there before.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Take the pedal off, clean and regrease the thread and see what happens. Also, sounds silly, but have you checked for mud in that cleat on the bottom of your shoe? That's given me a squeak there before.
It's definitely more of a click that a squeak, I can feel it as well as hear it.

Gents, been back in the saddle for a bit now and after much riding/reading and incessant boring of the aforementioned with the good lady; she has suggested that I sell my current steed and move up a level. Here is my question for advice...Merida 90 to sell £1k to add. I train along the coast so want smaller gear ratios and am not sure whether I can afford carbon at this level as the group set will be compromised. Can you good guys advice me of possible options?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gents, been back in the saddle for a bit now and after much riding/reading and incessant boring of the aforementioned with the good lady; she has suggested that I sell my current steed and move up a level. Here is my question for advice...Merida 90 to sell £1k to add. I train along the coast so want smaller gear ratios and am not sure whether I can afford carbon at this level as the group set will be compromised. Can you good guys advice me of possible options?

So for gear ratios were you planning on a standard 53/39 on the front with an 11-25 on the back if you've no intention of climbing? If so, and you're planning on buying a new bike, you need to be watchful you don't accidentally end up with the increasingly common default compact option with a climbing friendly rear cassette.

At the price you mention they'll be a few along soon recommending you get the full carbon Planet X no doubt. Ships with Ultegra groupset I think?

Of course, go secondhand and you can potentially end up with even better value for money if you're lucky, but that Planet X is outstanding value it would seem.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In yesterdays Sun there have been 80,000 on the spot fines issued by Met Police to cyclists mostly for either riding on the pavement and jumping red lights. I hope other forces especially Sussex Police are taking note and do likewise.

Thanks for that, I've got plenty of time to look into it tbf. i am just keen to get as much advice as poss. I'm finding that the more riding I do I feel that I'm homing in more of an idea of what I'm looking to achieve but with limited experience and a hobby that is turning out to be more expensive than I first thought; I don't want to scupper myself!! Does the next bike need to be full carbon? Are there better ally options at my price range?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're in the carbon price bracket, but the rest of the spec might be a little bit 'entry level'.

There will be plenty of horse trading to be done.
Clearly gears are important to you and 1066 is right regarding the popularity of compact chainsets.

You'll be needing the best wheels you can get.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for that, I've got plenty of time to look into it tbf. i am just keen to get as much advice as poss. I'm finding that the more riding I do I feel that I'm homing in more of an idea of what I'm looking to achieve but with limited experience and a hobby that is turning out to be more expensive than I first thought; I don't want to scupper myself!! Does the next bike need to be full carbon? Are there better ally options at my price range?

Certainly doesn't have to be full carbon, no. An ally option at that price will probably get you a better groupset and wheels for starters. As you're finding out though, the spending doesn't stop at buying the bike once you get into it as a hobby unfortunately. What size frame do you need? I quite like looking at the secondhand market just out of curiosity, and if I knew what frame size you need I could let you know if I spot any bargains.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ive decided it's time to pack the carbon away until the spring.
No miles this week and it still needs a proper clean from last Sunday.

With that in mind, is there anything part of the bike that can go in the dishwasher?
(yes i am that lazy)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

With that in mind, is there anything part of the bike that can go in the dishwasher?
(yes i am that lazy)
I reckon you could easily get a whole group set in there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

(yes i am that lazy)

I was in two minds as to what bike to take on yesterday's ride, keen to get the feel for my new handlebar tape and all that on the carbon. In the end I went for the old Battaglin and kept the carbon at home as I didn't know what route we would be on. I'm so glad I made that decision as some of the lanes we went down were thick with mud and running water.

I've left her dirty for now, but will give her a good hose down at work tomorrow and a quick wipe over. That'll do for now until it's time for another thorough clean, degrease and lube again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love a full strip down clean and regrease, but only when I'm doing it.
I'll get be here banging on about how therapeutic it all is.

The problem is getting started.

If I take the top tray out I might just be able to squeeze the forks in too.

The question is should I?

And what about the carbon?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone here registered on the bike radar forum having problems logging in?

I've been unable to get any login page up for nearly a week now. Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong or if the site is playing up again?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm happily logged in.

When did you last login?, after having been logged out. Was it within the last week? It's this week that my log in problems have started. It's happened in the past too, but not for a long time.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes
No, and posting away.

I rarely understand your posts Moto, they seem like they're written in Chinese to me, but I think you mean all is working fine for you? Thanks.

In which case Bike Radar can go **** themselves because I'm pissed off with these log in issues. It's not the first time it's happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here