[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Having watched the shower of shite that passes for an England football team - actually I'll rephrase that as England football teams are nearly always a shower of shite so this one definitely passes - I watched the Vuelta and then ToB highlights.

In many ways I preferred watching ToB today. Perhaps a third day on the trot of a four man slug fest going uphill is starting to wear a bit thin, and a bout of handbags is never pretty to watch, but mainly because of the fantastic scenery in Wales and those descending shots in particular of Michal Kwiatkowski. T'was like poetry in motion! Hopefully they can get some real close ups of when Chavanel goes like a speeding bullet downhill in this Tour, as he's sure to do again at some point.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I reckon I'm happier on a hilly ride than a flat one. Mind you, this one looks fun: http://www.strava.com/activities/191712738

The Veulta delivered again. Just awesome.

Aside from "fun" I can vouch for it being absolutely stunning, scenery wise! We drove through Lausanne and round the lake for a bit going East to West on our way to Italy for a family holiday once. On the way back we ended up camping for the night right beside it, down the other end in the heart of Geneva. Beautiful place and I'd be bowled over cycling around there.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This year's REMF ride has been pulled. Shame.

It needs to be in the summer, out of the football season. Perhaps the last weekend in August, to avoid people being on holiday. The weather would be better, and seeing as the suggestion was to set off from the Amex at Stupid O'Clock, at least it would be likely to be light.

Edit: just seen my obvious error - the last weekend in August...out of the football season...

Ok. Otherwise my point stands.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Plenty last year though. Maybe July would be better?

Gonna be tough for me to ride out with the homies this year now. :(

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Looking at this again...I'm becoming a bit obsessed with it if truth be told. Was this a friend of yours? Why didn't he finish the loop (or at least complete his 100 miles)?

I fancy doing this, and may do so next year.

He's England's best bet for a grand prix motorcycle champion. He tweeted it, so I had a look. I'd feel a bit of a lemon asking him why he didn't do the full lake.

Edited: He did the full lake. His gps ran out. See: http://www.strava.com/activities/191712990

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
He's England's best bet for a grand prix motorcycle champion. He tweeted it, so I had a look. I'd feel a bit of a lemon asking him why he didn't do the full lake.

He's pretty shit on a motorbike if he only averaged 19mph on that course! :wink:

Go on, Moto, you wouldn't be a lemon - ask him!

Please?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Dear geeks,

On Monday night I went to see Bicycle the film (http://bicyclethefilm.com/). Do catch it if you can. It was certainly a million times better than watching England bore me to death.

This is Michael Clifford's homage to the bike; to its history and the part that Britons have played in developing cycling; and to the future of cycling in this country. If you want a potted history of everything that has gone right and everything that has gone wrong when it comes to cycling in this country, then this film has it. At turns it will fill you with pride as to what we have achieved and then with despair as to how we have wasted opportunities.

What Clifford also manages to do is cover just about every form of cycling. He's undoubtedly more of a roadie, and this comes across, but he manages to take in BMX, MTB, track, cyclocross, touring bikes; he even finds time for a three wheeler (and for good reason). What he manages to do is unite all cyclists under one banner, and that's a banner that stands for something more than a one-sided approach to transport strategy.

With contributions from Chris Boardman, Mike Burrows, John Grimshaw (sustrans) and Dave Brailsford, he has an outstanding cast of characters, and in Carlton Reid, the author of 'The roads were not built for cars' he has an incredibly articulate contributor who brings to life everything that is wrong with our obsession with the car as the only mode of transport. The start of the show though is Danielle Khan. Clifford made the right choice when he chose to interview and follow Khan as she moved from short track skating to cycling, inspired as she was by everything that happened at London 2012. She has energy in abundance and an enthusiasm for cycling that made me as the viewer well with pride. As Hugh Porter says in the film, when you see one of British our cyclists take a gold medal or win a stage, your chest does puff out a bit because given the barriers that have been thrown up against cyclists in this country, you feel that there is a part of you in that gold medal.

This is a film that will take you through the ages, from the 1870's onwards, and will teach you things, or remind you of things, which we should be proud of as a nation. Do people in this country really realise the amount that Britain has contributed to the world of cycling as it is today? I'll use the word that Chris Boardman used to answer this. No.

Go see it. At a cinema if you can. There's bound to be other cyclists in the auditorium soaking it all in with you.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]: I'm still in the 'zone' faithfully watching every Live programme of Tour of Britain to date. Looking forward to Stage 4 later. :)

The rubbish they casually throw into the hedgerows/side of the road, is this later collected?

I'm impressed with the guys stamina! I'm guessing after the Tumble yesterday Ditchling Beacon and Bear Road will be like minor bumps on the journey into Brighton!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
OK guys, have bike (tick), have started training (tick), and have Endomondo (small tick), some people are shouting about this App and others Strava, what's best in your worldly opinions?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK guys, have bike (tick), have started training (tick), and have Endomondo (small tick), some people are shouting about this App and others Strava, what's best in your worldly opinions?
What bike?
Training for what, how, why?

Strava, if you're not already it will make you competitive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here