Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Installing a new Chimney breast

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Looking for a bit of help from the good people of NSC. We are looking to re-instate a chimney breast in our house and then install a woodburner. Anyone on here recommend a builder for this type of work? Or indeed anyone on here do this type of work? Sorry to use this wonderful forum for such a mundane non Albion related subject!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Try [MENTION=15348]CAPTAIN GREALISH[/MENTION].

Did some building and repointing work at our house recently, nice job completed. Likes doing the smaller jobs like you're suggesting. Reasonably priced too. Recommended by a few people on here too I believe.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If you're rendering/plastering the outside of the reinstated chimney breast you could save a few bob and have it made of blocks rather than bricks. Also consider having the opening higher and wider than the original chimney breast would have had for ease of fitting and sweeping,letting more heat out, and having space in the recess for a poker and some other bits.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Try @CAPTAIN GREALISH.

Did some building and repointing work at our house recently, nice job completed. Likes doing the smaller jobs like you're suggesting. Reasonably priced too. Recommended by a few people on here too I believe.

Seconded the recomendation. Has done a fair bit of work at my house over the last 4-5 years.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Download new Chimney Breast installer. Uninstall old Chimney Breast. Close browser and all other open applications. Run chimneybreast.exe

I have no suggestion to make other than do it, it's the best thing we've done in our house. I love my wood burner.

Attachments

• IMG_2844.JPG
    IMG_2844.JPG
    865.4 KB · Views: 292

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
That picture has just confirmed that I have to do this! Thanks.

All joking apart do you really mean 'chimney breast' as surely that is a pretty serious bit of building work ? If you just mean install a new flue that would be a different matter but hey ho what do I know.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Thanks, he's a Lurcher rescue dog called Stan. Get one, they're ace.

I used to have a rescued greyhound. He was ace too. I'm a bit disabled now so I can't responsibly have a dog. Stan looks like a thoroughly darling dog though.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Just seen your post. Demolished our old stone & wood fireplace with open fire over a year ago. Replaced it with a modern, built in fan, glass fronted wood burner. Used plaster board to form chimney breast with liner inside. The difference is amazing. Before 80% of the heat disappeared up the chimney now only 5% escapes! I have to keep the doors open now to let the heat circulate. The built in fan makes a little noise but TV or music drowns it out.View attachment 62401

Forgot to add we burn olive, orange & almond wood, harder the better!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here