Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fish and chip butty ... North south divide .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The north starts when you start seeing five pound notes again

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Beef dripping surely.

Isn't that what lard is? Excuse my ignorance but as a veggie, I don't eat chips in the north - I just know that they're cooked in something unwholesome

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ive chatted with a chap from Leicester and from Macclesfield about this. they both had an interesting common observation - Whippets. they are common in the north, not in the midlands or south. the chap from Macclesfield had lived in a town further south said it was a "border town" as there was northern accents but no whippets, the town few miles up t'road whippets were often seen in the high street. that was where the north started.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Isn't that what lard is? Excuse my ignorance but as a veggie, I don't eat chips in the north - I just know that they're cooked in something unwholesome

No, lard is pig fat. Chips cooked in beef dripping are lovely and crispy.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
ive chatted with a chap from Leicester and from Macclesfield about this. they both had an interesting common observation - Whippets. they are common in the north, not in the midlands or south. the chap from Macclesfield had lived in a town further south said it was a "border town" as there was northern accents but no whippets, the town few miles up t'road whippets were often seen in the high street. that was where the north started.

interesting suggestion. I have a corollary for your consideration. The South starts when first you see a Weimaraner (or a Red Setter). Anything North of that is the North.

No, lard is pig fat. Chips cooked in beef dripping are lovely and crispy.

I remember vividly my Grandmother always had dripping in her fridge and used to try and get us to eat it on toast, vile stuff.

However, when it's used to fry chips in The North it becomes a wondrous essential, chips down here just can't compete.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember vividly my Grandmother always had dripping in her fridge and used to try and get us to eat it on toast, vile stuff.

However, when it's used to fry chips in The North it becomes a wondrous essential, chips down here just can't compete.

I hated bread and dripping, but my Dad loved it especially with salt.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Here in Shropshire we are classed as "the heart of England" so the only northerners here must have a visa and speak funny.
TBF there are more Scots, Poles, Aisians and Caribbeans than English Northerners here.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Living in Sheffield I'd say we're right on the border. South Yorkshire and above would be my starting point.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
North of the Watford Gap services

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watford_Gap_services

It's even in the wiki article.

the problem with this, or rather the problem it highlights, is the omission of the midlands in this north/south divide. Watford Gap is pretty much in the Midlands itself isn't it? interesting to note in the diagram on that page, the inset shows East/West midland regions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here