Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New deals for three; five released

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I haven't time to read the whole thread, but here's my take on it. Thank you to these great players, people, servants to the club, for everything. We will miss them and good luck to them in future.

But if these players are leaving, I'm guessing we have more Skalaks, Goldsons and Knockaerts lined up to replace them. These are exciting times.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Like everyone else sad to see most of these players go. BZ was almost a fairy tale (promotion), GG I would have expected to be given another year as a player. Releasing Calde though in my opinion is a mistake , unless of course he wanted first team action. His commitment is huge , just look at how he acts even when he is not in the match day squad. Wonder if he was seen as a threat?

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Genuinely really upset about Calde. Also didn't think I would be sad about Greer but am

More so than Bobby as I think he will retire and decided that a few months ago.

I am 28 for goodness sake, yet am now sat all upset about never seeing Inigo again. Has he been here long enough for a testimonial?
It's sentiment mate, not misplaced but the club need to be looking forward.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Like everyone else sad to see most of these players go. BZ was almost a fairy tale (promotion), GG I would have expected to be given another year as a player. Releasing Calde though in my opinion is a mistake , unless of course he wanted first team action. His commitment is huge , just look at how he acts even when he is not in the match day squad. Wonder if he was seen as a threat?

I think that's really harsh. Hughton has just been given a four year contract so why would he regard Calde as a threat.

For what it's worth, I think all these decisions are correct. Calde did struggle when played last season, Greer would have been fourth choice when Huhnemeier is fit and it was the right time, I assume Zamora will retire and Crofts has not been the same since his injuries. As has been said on other threads, keeping them is just sentiment. I'm confident we will offer Calde a role at the club when he retires but, in the meantime, he still has something to offer for a League 1 or 2 club and good luck to him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That depends on his demands. Previously in this thread, it was said, he wants a three year contract, which I doubt we would offer.

I find that hard to believe. Don't see him getting a three year deal. He only signed a two year deal at Stoke and he had just played his best football at Fulham. I could understand two years but doubt anyone will offer him three.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You seriously regard Rosenior as a jack of all trades. What a ludicrous insult to one of best players this season. He was fantastic this season, and was brilliant at left back for the last three months. If you can't see that, you are clueless.

You have to understand that BG is an entrenched position that Rosenior is really a right back rather than a left back ( despite the number of games Liam played in the PL at left back ).

So no matter how good Liam is at Left Back, he is not the back up to Bong in BG's book.

However...

If we now look at where the squad is lacking, then we need 2 defenders : a right sided Centre Back, and either a Left Back or a Right Back.

If we can get a right sided Centre Back who can also play Right Back, then BG is right that the fullback recruit should be on the left.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You have to understand that BG is an entrenched position that Rosenior is really a right back rather than a left back ( despite the number of games Liam played in the PL at left back ).

So no matter how good Liam is at Left Back, he is not the back up to Bong in BG's book.

However...

If we now look at where the squad is lacking, then we need 2 defenders : a right sided Centre Back, and either a Left Back or a Right Back.

If we can get a right sided Centre Back who can also play Right Back, then BG is right that the fullback recruit should be on the left.

I'm not arguing that we need a left back now. I think that Rosenior will become first choice right back this season with Bruno as back up (although I thought that this season too) meaning we need a left back back up for Bong and a centre half to replace Greer. I just think to call a player of Rosenior's quality a jack of all trades, after his performances at left back, is an insult.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not arguing that we need a left back now. I think that Rosenior will become first choice right back this season with Bruno as back up (although I thought that this season too) meaning we need a left back back up for Bong and a centre half to replace Greer. I just think to call a player of Rosenior's quality a jack of all trades, after his performances at left back, is an insult.

Yes, it is an insult, I agree.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think rather than an insult to Liam R it is a compliment as to his ability and versatility as an all round footballer who can not just play in 1 position. but equally well in many.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I would think rather than an insult to Liam R it is a compliment as to his ability and versatility as an all round footballer who can not just play in 1 position. but equally well in many.

Calling him a jack of all trades is a compliment? Seriously? You've got a funny way of complimenting players. Rosenior is good enough to be first choice in all three positions he played for us. He is a master of all trades, not a jack (which implies he isn't very good at any of them).

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

:shrug: Confused.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Calling him a jack of all trades is a compliment? Seriously? You've got a funny way of complimenting players. Rosenior is good enough to be first choice in all three positions he played for us. He is a master of all trades, not a jack (which implies he isn't very good at any of them).

I would take it as a compliment perhaps I should have said master rather than Jack but that is splitting hairs. FWIW I think and said at the time he was a master signing and will play in the Premier again but with us. His injury and our subsequent failures cost us promotion. I have been misunderstood I do not believe that he should have been used as Bong back up long term because he had so much to offer in other positions but the fault lied with accepting that Chicksen wouldnt be adequate we did nothing about replacing him for a short time loan When we did it was too little too late with Ridgewell. No criticism whatsoever of Liam.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I am actually gonna come to BG's defence here which I know is a dangerous thing to do because some of his posts are off the wall and I might get slaughtered for helping him out; however, CH has said that Liam Rosenior is one of the biggest success stories of the season and thinks he has been brilliant in every position he has played, including LEFT BACK but he also concedes that it is not ideal having a right footed player playing at left back.

He likes the wingers to play on the opposite sides because offensively it allows them to cut inside because they then become a goal threat but he concedes that if the full backs come up against a winger who likes to go on the outside then it isn't ideal to have a full back playing on the wrong side.

I actually disagree with him on that one and pointed out that he himself being a left footed player occasionally played right back for Spurs.

BUT as for Liam BG, although I have backed you up on this one BG, I don't thing you can claim in any way that Rosenior ever let the club down in any game he played this season and against Forrest away, he was absolutely brilliant at left back, defensively and offensively

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am actually gonna come to BG's defence here which I know is a dangerous thing to do because some of his posts are off the wall and I might get slaughtered for helping him out; however, CH has said that Liam Rosenior is one of the biggest success stories of the season and thinks he has been brilliant in every position he has played, including LEFT BACK but he also concedes that it is not ideal having a right footed player playing at left back.

He likes the wingers to play on the opposite sides because offensively it allows them to cut inside because they then become a goal threat but he concedes that if the full backs come up against a winger who likes to go on the outside then it isn't ideal to have a full back playing on the wrong side.

I actually disagree with him on that one and pointed out that he himself being a left footed player occasionally played right back for Spurs.

BUT as for Liam BG, although I have backed you up on this one BG, I don't thing you can claim in any way that Rosenior ever let the club down in any game he played this season and against Forrest away, he was absolutely brilliant at left back, defensively and offensively

I have never and would never criticise Liam other than to say him playing at left back did not benefit Jamie Murphy any and allow him to go wide down the wings as much as Bong did. As you well know my criticism was expecting him to do it long term and the man that should have been replaced with a loan signing was Chicksen as CH had accepted that he wasn't capable of playing as we needed. That is now water under the bridge lets hope the situation is remedied during the summer so that Liam is free to play right midfield when a defensive formation is needed or as a full back as required.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have never and would never criticise Liam other than to say him playing at left back did not benefit Jamie Murphy any and allow him to go wide down the wings as much as Bong did. As you well know my criticism was expecting him to do it long term and the man that should have been replaced with a loan signing was Chicksen as CH had accepted that he wasn't capable of playing as we needed. That is now water under the bridge lets hope the situation is remedied during the summer so that Liam is free to play right midfield when a defensive formation is needed or as a full back as required.

I disagree............Jamie linked well with Liam

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here