Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liverpool vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Sorry I must disagree as you couldnt be more wrong if you tried.

The reason we lost was because we didnt press them far enough up the pitch and allowed them too much time and space and had it not been for our back 4 and GK we would have lost by more. We didnt attempt to tackle them until they virtually reached our box.

We have pace when certain players are on but not with our starting XI

The first substitution was at 75 mins hardly early.

I agree about but Bissouma but it is ironical that one piece of sloppy control from him cost us the game. It was an encouraging performance and will enable us to beat many teams this season.

It’s getting to the point where your posts are difficult to read now, such is the level of footballing ignorance shown in them.

Let me ask you one simple question. What do you think would’ve been the tactical implications if we’d pressed high from the front all game?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s getting to the point where your posts are difficult to read now, such is the level of footballing ignorance shown in them.

Let me ask you one simple question. What do you think would’ve been the tactical implications if we’d pressed high from the front all game?

Well CH just said on MOTD, when asked kind of the same question, that we would have paid a price. Leaving it too late to make that second half push.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I remember travelling (pre pre Internet/Mobile phone) to 'that' game all those years ago, thinking exactly the same thoughts! And, it happened! We had beaten Liverpool at Anfield and the Kop gave our players a fantastic reception.

Miracles can happen. :)
Just got home....well history nearly repeated itself. The team did us proud, they were all fantastic and gave Liverpool a really good game.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Watched the game and thought you played really well. Gross should have earned you a point with that header.

Liverpool aren’t the brilliant free scoring team the media proclaimed after their first game, that was just an utterly dreadful West Ham performance which made them look brilliant. Both Brighton and Palace could feel they deserved more than they got in their respective games against Liverpool.

They may sit top of the league but I doubt very much they’ll stay there.

Not sure why anyone's got a problem with this post. If it was from a fan of another team then I guess it wouldn't be an issue. Credit where it's due.

Although I do think Liverpool will be up there at the end of the season, they've not played a "top six" rival yet.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That’s good going with the travelling. The Albion’s support was great.
The support was pretty good, Liverpool were quiet though....too many tourists I suspect.

Bissouma looks like a real player and Locadia surprised me with how well he played when he came on. That midfield will be the regular "away" set up from now on I'd have thought. Special mention to Balogun too, it could be one of Dunk or Duffy giving way to him. No frills just a solid, agressive defender.

We could easily have got a draw today, at Liverpool!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh and we were excellent today. One cock up aside. We didn't get that little bit of luck that you need when you play a really good side away but if we had then we'd have got a point. I'm ok with that.

Liverpool average two goals a game there and haven't lost for 16 months. We gave them a proper scare at the end.

Play like that away against most of the rest of the league and we'll get some very decent results.

And BG is talking utter shite again, ignore it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm sure many have read your post BG and couldn't be bothered to respond. Do you honestly stand by your first comments, if so, blimey.

Firstly picking up on the back 4 and the keeper, that is their role in the team, to stop the opposition from scoring and apart from an error mainly in passing the ball to a midfielder being heavily closed down, they did that

Pressing from the midfield and Murray was continuous and nearly paid off three times when their keeper was very nearly caught out with the ball at his feet, once in first half by Murray and then twice in second by Murray and Knocky.

We held them at arms length for most of the game and looked the most likely to score in the final 15, they were definitely on the back foot towards the end.

If we had pushed forwards too early we would have opened ourselves up with the likelihood of conceding again, but by pressing late on Liverpool themselves had to protect their narrow lead and therefore had to retreat allowing us on to them. The plan very nearly worked and apart from a poor header we may be talking about a point.

Your suggestion of pressing higher is so naive I'm surprised someone of your years would suggest it.

What I witnessed today was a huge step forward from last season, play like this away from home and we will pick up many more points this time.

This. A new low.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The support was pretty good, Liverpool were quiet though....too many tourists I suspect.

Bissouma looks like a real player and Locadia surprised me with how well he played when he came on. That midfield will be the regular "away" set up from now on I'd have thought. Special mention to Balogun too, it could be one of Dunk or Duffy giving way to him. No frills just a solid, agressive defender.

We could easily have got a draw today, at Liverpool!

On TV it looked like two big chances each and a handful of half chances for Liverpool. I was fearing a 3-1 or 3-0 defeat, so we were better result-wise than expected.

A big ? on our best team. Balogun did OK apart from the rash challenge. Pröpper emitted calm composure but with the absence of urgency which saw him lose the ball as often as at Watford,.

Montoya looked more like a right sided midfielder than a right back to me. Bissouma looked like a Gerrard type attacking midfielder rather than a defensive midfielder. Murray's ability at winning penalties made LIverpool very careful. Knocky's I would call a big chance from about 12 yards out.

Alireza Jahanbakhsh had nine touches, three in Liverpool's half, one was defensive on the left side, all the other touches on the right. Five passes, one successful tackle, one block, one dribble, one clearance.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i thought the boys put in a great shift , just a few lapses which gave Liverpool a bit of wind in their sails , overall a very encouraging performance from a team that is still gelling , i was never expecting anything from this fixture , it was certainly encouraging to see CH go for it in the final 15 and nearly paid off if Muzz got his head on it instead of Gross.

all in all ....very encouraging :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Actually, you’ve summed up my post perfectly. My intention was to congratulate Brighton on their performance and make the observation that, having watched all Liverpool’s games, they aren’t as good as the media say.

I didn’t realise anyone could be so sensitive as to think that my observation about Liverpool being not as brilliant as the media make out could be seen as negating my complementary opening statement.

You have indeed had some over sensitive reaction to what was a perfectly reasonable post imo. I don’t agree with you about Liverpool, but it’s all opinions, time will tell who is right. You are certainly one of the more reasonable Palace posters on NSC and from what I saw of the Palace vs Liverpool game, you did give them a game.

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
Watched in a bar in Marbs with many Liverpool fans and me being the only Brighton fan.....they weren't happy 2nd half..... I said to one "we are well worthy of a draw here" and one time shouted "they are on the f**king ropes" in excitement near the end......one replied "well this is how titles are won." "Err - when you been doing that" I replied.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The reason we lost was because we didnt press them far enough up the pitch and allowed them too much time and space and had it not been for our back 4 and GK we would have lost by more. We didnt attempt to tackle them until they virtually reached our box.

[yt]j3mcueDb6ng[/yt]

If you want to see what happens to teams who press high up the pitch against Liverpool, have a look at the Roma game from last season.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Watched in a bar in Marbs with many Liverpool fans and me being the only Brighton fan.....they weren't happy 2nd half..... I said to one "we are well worthy of a draw here" and one time shouted "they are on the f**king ropes" in excitement near the end......one replied "well this is how titles are won." "Err - when you been doing that" I replied.

I find your average plastic Liverpool fan (non local, non STH) worse than the plastic Man Utd fans.
I think it's because they're not perceived to be a nasty club like Utd is, it give them an extra sense of entitlement. Add that to their adopted victim mentality and you end up with a complete **** of a personality.
At least the plastic Utd fans seem to know and accept that everyone else hates them.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sorry I must disagree as you couldnt be more wrong if you tried.

We have pace when certain players are on but not with our starting XI

The first substitution was at 75 mins hardly early.

I agree about but Bissouma but it is ironical that one piece of sloppy control from him cost us the game. It was an encouraging performance and will enable us to beat many teams this season.

Pressing against the top teams can be like chasing shadows. Pressing all the time is darn right daft and wastes energy.

I'm all for a policy of selective pressing at certain times and in certain areas of the pitch (e.g. pressing full backs is more effective). Fall back into shape rather than trying to win the ball back, concede possession and territory and save energy. It needs a pacy threat though.

Even encourage the opposing full backs to advance and exploit the space they leave.

A few maxims:

1) Chasing players around like blue-arsed flies is a waste of energy
2) Four at the back is optimum for covering the width of the pitch (three at the back with two advancing full backs is suicide)
3) We can only play on one wing at a time (opposite winger can play as a forward)
4) Let the ball do the work. A long pass is quicker than a long dribble.
5) Possession play (ticky-tacky) is the best defensive tactic
6) Swop the wingers over before subbing them (best to have one inverted and one natural)
7) Subs after 66 minutes do not get a chance to get involved (one touch every 2 minutes for forwards)

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Much as I was in favour of playing Bissouma and believe that he will be a sensation for us we lost the momentum of stopping them before they reached Stephens and Propper which meant that we had our backs to the wall on the edge of our box. Gross as well as attacking them acts as another stopper after a team has passed Murray.

I think that we should have set our midfield line of 5 about 5=10 yds further forward so as to restrict them the space we gave them.

I am not complaining about the substitutions as I believe that they were correct and at the right time but was replying to the post which praised CH for his EARLY substitutions, which they clearly weren't.

Overall it was a solid professional performance that we could have got a point out of.had it not been for a snatched chance by Knockaert and a header in the wrong direction by Gross. Had he not got such a firm connection on it and glanced it to his left he would probably have scored. It is these moments and chances that are the difference between the good and other teams in this league.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Much as I was in favour of playing Bissouma and believe that he will be a sensation for us we lost the momentum of stopping them before they reached Stephens and Propper which meant that we had our backs to the wall on the edge of our box. Gross as well as attacking them acts as another stopper after a team has passed Murray.

I think that we should have set our midfield line of 5 about 5=10 yds further forward so as to restrict them the space we gave them.

I am not complaining about the substitutions as I believe that they were correct and at the right time but was replying to the post which praised CH for his EARLY substitutions, which they clearly weren't.

Overall it was a solid professional performance that we could have got a point out of.had it not been for a snatched chance by Knockaert and a header in the wrong direction by Gross. Had he not got such a firm connection on it and glanced it to his left he would probably have scored. It is these moments and chances that are the difference between the good and other teams in this league.

If we had done so then the likely outcome would have been 5 or 6 nil. You are not accounting for the speed and immense quality of Liverpool on the break (forgive me if you have done so earlier in the thread-I have only read your post on this thread). With our set up, that quality was mostly restricted to the middle of the pitch. The times they opened us up were frightening. I was immensely proud that the Albion were able to compete on levelish terms with a football team that good and also at the progress from last season. I haven't watched it back on tv as yet but what a privilege to be in the away end cheering on the boys yesterday. Has anyone mentioned the sliding clearance by All J ? If he hadn't slid in to put the ball out in their half then Liverpool would have been on the counter attack. Good to see some grit to add to his creativity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here