Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Southgate and the England job

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
So have I. Southgate has also won a tournament with them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36410296

The Toulon tournament, an invitation only event - After finishing bottom of our group in the European U21 tournament the year before, after cruising through qualification.

Yup, he's the man!

Can you please explain what our style of play is at the moment, because I have no idea. Most teams I watch I can see what they are trying to achieve, and how they are looking to score, I can't fathom it with this side.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Toulon tournament, an invitation only event - After finishing bottom of our group in the European U21 tournament the year before, after cruising through qualification.

Yup, he's the man!

Can you please explain what our style of play is at the moment, because I have no idea. Most teams I watch I can see what they are trying to achieve, and how they are looking to score, I can't fathom it with this side.

Maybe that's your problem. :wink:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Maybe that's your problem. :wink:

I don't think I'm the only one:
We have no creativity in the side and think that possession is going to win us games.
We only have one form of attack and that is our full-backs trying to get forward and deliver crosses, but pick Sturridge to try and get on the end of them.
We have Rooney in the team who only slows things down, can't go past anyone and doesn't play any 'killer balls' inside the centre backs for our CF to run on to.
Our wide players constantly want to come inside and make the attack congested.
Our holding midfield player is isolated most of the time so gets overrun
And I have no idea what Henderson is doing, he isn't a box to box midfielder, he doesn't break up play and only seems capable of passing the ball three yards left or right, or hitting a 50 yard ball out of play.
We are easy to defend against. drop deep so we can't get round the back, and kill the space for Sturridge/Vardy to run in to.

As you have clearly worked it out, please can you explain it to me?

I watch Brighton and I can see how we plan to score, we get the ball wide to our quick players and try and get the ball in the box early, we know we are going to be under pressure at times, but have centre-mids who will harangue and break up play. We then have an additional forward who will run around and make space, to allow our midfield to get up and support. I get that.... No idea with England.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We have no creativity in the side and think that possession is going to win us games.
We only have one form of attack and that is our full-backs trying to get forward and deliver crosses, but pick Sturridge to try and get on the end of them.
We have Rooney in the team who only slows things down, can't go past anyone and doesn't play any 'killer balls' inside the centre backs for our CF to run on to.
And I have no idea what Henderson is doing, he isn't a box to box midfielder, he doesn't break up play and only seems capable of passing the ball three yards left or right, or hitting a 50 yard ball out of play.
We are easy to defend against. drop deep so we can't get round the back, and kill the space for Sturridge/Vardy to run in to.

I watch Brighton and I can see how we plan to score, we get the ball wide to our quick players and try and get the ball in the box early, we know we are going to be under pressure at times, but have centre-mids who will harangue and break up play. We then have an additional forward who will run around and make space, to allow our midfield to get up and support. I get that.... No idea with England.

Oh wind your neck in. Had we won the game 2-0 I suspect you wouldn't be leveling half these criticisms.

We had the better of Spain for 89 minutes. We played some very nice - at times - one touch football. We played a successful counter attacking game against one of the best teams in the world. Boo-hoo we ended up drawing. I think a lot of the young players in the team will learn a lot more than drawing a game like that and the importance of keeping the ball. You're making out we're awful with no game plan - but we had a very successful game plan that nearly won us the game. Spain have been a force in world football for decades now, we haven't - what were you expecting?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Oh wind your neck in. Had we won the game 2-0 I suspect you wouldn't be leveling half these criticisms.

We had the better of Spain for 89 minutes. We played some very nice - at times - one touch football. We played a successful counter attacking game against one of the best teams in the world. Boo-hoo we ended up drawing. I think a lot of the young players in the team will learn a lot more than drawing a game like that and the importance of keeping the ball. You're making out we're awful with no game plan - but we had a very successful game plan that nearly won us the game. Spain have been a force in world football for decades now, we haven't - what were you expecting?

Sorry I thought this was a message board to discuss our opinions on football? Am I in the wrong place?

I'm not basing this one one game last night, hence my comment about Rooney who didn't play, I am basing it on our last three qualifiers where we scraped past Malta, were lucky to get a draw against Slovenia, and had a flattering result against a very poor Scotland team, who could have easily been 1-0 and 2-1 if they could finish.

We are repeating the same history over and over again, we qualify easily and then fail at tournaments, we keep trying to imitate other countries or premier league teams, lets play to our strengths and make others worry about us for a change.

We scored 4 headers in 2 games.

Probably headers.

Cool, lets pick some players who suit that style then and stick to that way of playing, pace on the flanks and players that can cross the ball, with two players in the middle who can beat a man in the air, and a holding midfielder and one on the edge of the box to win anything that is cleared.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Can we please stop playing 4-2-3-1 it's so negative with Dier and Henderson neither of who'm have any ability going forward!

I watched the first 20 minutes last night and we already looked a completely different team without Rooney in the No.10 role!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You're over analysing instead of just watching the game and enjoying the goals.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can we please stop playing 4-2-3-1 it's so negative with Dier and Henderson neither of who'm have any ability going forward!

I watched the first 20 minutes last night and we already looked a completely different team without Rooney in the No.10 role!

Nothing wrong with playing 2 holding midfielders at international level, it's dull but international football is.

We need to play a formation that suites Spurs/Liverpool/CityArsenal players as currently that is how the squad is made up - rightly or wrongly

The front 3 behind the one need to be interchangeable and have pace or trickery - Rooney isn't.

Our forwards and midfield players In the right system/selection would be great.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone wanting to do some cross referencing here's a good place to start!! :lol: :whistle:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I've watched a number of the u21 games that Southgate has been in charge of. He is a dull manager, with limited ideas and has no clue how to use good players. He is a yes man and will not take this England team forward in any meaningful way.

Massive slice of humble pie here!!

He's done a brilliant job and I admit I was wrong about his style of football.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Great bounce! To be fair we were in a mess at the time, so you can understand the negativity. Just adds to what an incredible job he has done all round though. I hope he's in charge for many years to come!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here