Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Manchester United or Ajax (or meh)?

Who do you want to win the Europa League final?

• Manchester United

Votes: 93 38.0%
  • Ajax

Votes: 89 36.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 63 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I guess in terms of the recent tragedy for once I'll want United to win. There is no doubt that a huge number of fans would have been affected by the attack, whether they were at the concert or had wives/daughters/sisters/girlfriends there.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'll be honest, I don't get the 'support the English" thing, but then I'm not fussed about the national team, so maybe that's something to do with it. There is only one team I would actively support in European competition and that's the team I support week in, week out during the normal season.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
The plastics are out in force on this one, all those die hard Sussex based Man U supporters.

I'm team Ajax as they're my second team due to travelling for 2 years with a group of guys from Amsterdam. I go see them 4 or 5 times a year and go to games when i'm there.

larus

In the past, I always supported British teams in Europe. However, I don't know why, but I won't now cheer for Man U or Man C in European games. Chelsea I'm meh about. Always liked Liverpool, but that probably stems from the great European games in TV in the 70's. Arsenal I used to hate as boring, but I do like their style of play now as, when they are playing well, they are great to watch IMO.

I would cheer on Spurs too. I think it's just a natural hate for Man U I guess, and City/Chelsea epitomise so much which is wrong with the Premier League IMO.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I'm team Ajax as they're my second team.

I'm team Man U as PSV are my second team. :thumbsup:

Ironically, of course, most of my PSV supporting friends are team Ajax on the grounds of them being Dutch.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
In the past, I always supported British teams in Europe. However, I don't know why, but I won't now cheer for Man U or Man C in European games. Chelsea I'm meh about. Always liked Liverpool, but that probably stems from the great European games in TV in the 70's. Arsenal I used to hate as boring, but I do like their style of play now as, when they are playing well, they are great to watch IMO.

I would cheer on Spurs too. I think it's just a natural hate for Man U I guess, and City/Chelsea epitomise so much which is wrong with the Premier League IMO.

Pretty much this, well said.

boik

The plastics are out in force on this one, all those die hard Sussex based Man U supporters.

I'm team Ajax as they're my second team due to travelling for 2 years with a group of guys from Amsterdam. I go see them 4 or 5 times a year and go to games when i'm there.

So your own reasons for supporting a distant football club are valid, but others aren't? OK.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I always used to support the British teams,but there isn't such a thing any more. The fact that a team plays in England doesn't make them English any more. American owner, Portuguese manager. See Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool etc etc.

Are Ajax still Dutch owned? If so, I will be supporting them.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
All those 'lifelong' die hard Man U supporters we all encounter need to endure a few* more years of footballing heartache and disappointment to really test their loyalty and resolve.

Ajax :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's no denying it will be funny if Man Utd lose and so miss out on the Champions League.

Similarly, given that the city of Manchester has had a horror week and most Utd fans are from Surrey I wouldn't want to heap more more misery heaped on the Citeh fans.

So it's Hup Holland! from me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I always used to support the British teams,but there isn't such a thing any more. The fact that a team plays in England doesn't make them English any more. American owner, Portuguese manager. See Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool etc etc.

Are Ajax still Dutch owned? If so, I will be supporting them.

You also stood behind a British side because you might only have 1 in the European Cup, 1 in Uefa and 1 in the cup winners cup, and that would often change year on year.

Now, you have Arsenal in it 20 years running. Hardly the same call to get behind the British side up against European counterparts, when its a run of the mill part of their season. If it was was a side not often making it, like Fulham, then behind them 100%.

Mourinho is perhaps the most overrated manager that has ever been. His tactics are boring, defensive, even when he arguably has the better side. He invented parking the modern bus. I hope Ajax's young team give them a real run for their money. He'll have them set up tonight with a back four, with Fellaini and Herrara practically on top of them so a back 6 at times. They'll have about 40% of the ball, and just ruin the spectacle. Mark my words...

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ajax. I'm not rabidly anti-MU, but I'd find it amusing to see Mourinho fall flat on his face after putting all his eggs in this particular basket. No biggie if they do win though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here