Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corbyn' s at it again !

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's a lot easier to suggest these things in opposition than it is to actually do them in Government.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This does have several questions which would need to be answered.

What happens if places are fully furnished? For example, say you have a nice apartment but live part of the year away. Labour say the apartment is suitable, homeless people move in and then things get damaged. Who picks up the tab for that?

Or would the policy just relate to empty, uninhabited places? if this is the case, then as long as it's a temporary proposal, I can't see much of a problem. Only caveat is the damage etc. as above (although without furnishings this is not such an issues but would apply to kitchens, bathrooms, etc.).

Then there would be a very easy loophole. Go to a second hand furniture place and kit out your empty gaff with furniture. Maybe offer the owners the chance to get their own removals people and reimburse (up to a set limit), if not then council do it. Could be a legal minefield though with risk of claims for damage and theft.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
1. Do you have a link to Corbyn saying this? I have found a link to a quote by a former Labour minister (David Lammy) but cannot find anything like this from Corbyn
2. If you own property in Kensington that is empty why wouldn't you want to help victims of this awful event?

i would hope some property owners would make property available. however, should the state seize property? prehaps there should be emergency provision for such situations. however i'm afraid Corbyn is making reference to wider political causes here, making a point about allowing the residents stay in the community, and underuse of ownership of property in some part of London. he also sought to make a point about cost savings the day after the incident, presumably unaware they'd done a £8m refit.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
In reference to the thread title, could you just clarify what Corbyn has previously "been at" in order to merit the thread?

Does he have history of stealing properties and giving them to victims of natural disasters without recompense for the owners?

larus

Then there would be a very easy loophole. Go to a second hand furniture place and kit out your empty gaff with furniture. Maybe offer the owners the chance to get their own removals people and reimburse (up to a set limit), if not then council do it. Could be a legal minefield though with risk of claims for damage and theft.

If somewhere is unfurnished, but has a decent kitchen/bathrooms etc. It gets used by homeless people and when you get it back, there's not insubstantial damage done. So, how can you prove it and who pays?

I agree - there is too much wealth in the hands of a minority and sitting on vacant properties is criminal. These things are never as easy as we'd like them to be, unless we take the view of "f*ck the rich".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If somewhere is unfurnished, but has a decent kitchen/bathrooms etc. It gets used by homeless people and when you get it back, there's not insubstantial damage done. So, how can you prove it and who pays?

Extensive photos and film of property before it was borrowed and full list of inventory signed and countersigned by council and owner prior to anyone moving in would fix that issue. If damage is done thereafter it falls on the council.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This time he wants to take away any vacant legally owned property in Kensington and rehouse the people caught in that terrible fire.

I feel as sorry as everyone else does about that tragedy but stealing other people's property is clearly not the answer.

Corbyn really is a Marxist lowlife. Embarrassing how close we came to this moron gaining power

You've given a generalised statement and then made a harsh slight against Jeremy Corbyn. It isn't unbecoming to ask for facts. Neither is it out of line to ask why you would make such a post at a sensitive time. I won't make any assertions against your character but would ask you to give further insight in a more reasoned tone.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
While Mrs May visits and ignores the residents affected does not speek to one person who has lost family or home instead talks to a select hand picked group of the emergency services.

This is a national disaster why is it being left to local people organising the relief where is the Army why are they not building temporary accommodation on any spare ground in the bourough of Kensington why is the Government doing nothing other than a public enquire which will kick the whole issue into the long grass, the Governments austerity has caused this disaster outsourcing the managment of the council stock of property is a direct result of cost cutting the Priminister should take the ultimate responsibility and resign

Unknown at this stage ...sounds a bit like you want to make some cheap political points and i'm no fan of the government

Always worth taking a bit of a background look at behind the headlines....for example when KCTMO was formed...what it does etc..there is a need for an enquiry and for the recommendations to be acted upon...and yes an immediate need for people to be rehoused...I imagine a lot of people will be working hard in the background to try and do just that.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's a lot easier to suggest these things in opposition than it is to actually do them in Government.

That's a given but JC is the type of Politician who would actually do something like that in power if he could but he wouldn't be able to get it through the courts quick enough anyhow but he would probably have them in decent hotels and make the Council who were housing them pick up the tab

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
When I saw 'Corbyn at it again' I assumed it was in reference to JC going to speak to the residents and victims of the tragic fire whilst the PM avoided them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As much as it would clearly be a lovely thing to do, it's just not practical in terms of this particular tragedy is it? Why? Well how about...

1. How do you determine which properties have been empty for long enough? Seriously - how would anyone know?
2. Where do you draw the line between "Empty for too long" and "Empty but not enough so we can't reclaim the property"?
3. What if an "Empty for too long" property owners are returning tomorrow? Or the day after? Or next week? Where do they go when they can't live in the property they legally own?

There may be a wide-scale problem here, but I'm not sure how it can be rectified in the immediate vicinity of the disaster in the very short timescales required, as much as is sounds great to propose putting some of these poor people in multi-million pound properties.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Absolutely
pa-28104829.jpg

CFAHB

Jun 1, 2017
As much as it would clearly be a lovely thing to do, it's just not practical in terms of this particular tragedy is it? Why? Well how about...

1. How do you determine which properties have been empty for long enough? Seriously - how would anyone know?
2. Where do you draw the line between "Empty for too long" and "Empty but not enough so we can't reclaim the property"?
3. What if an "Empty for too long" property owners are returning tomorrow? Or the day after? Or next week? Where do they go when they can't live in the property they legally own?

There may be a wide-scale problem here, but I'm not sure how it can be rectified in the immediate vicinity of the disaster in the very short timescales required, as much as is sounds great to propose putting some of these poor people in multi-million pound properties.

the first one is easy the council SHOULD be charging 150% community charge on empty homes.They only need to check the records to find the unused investment properties.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Why does every issue have to revert to politics. In jump the politicians, closely followed by the celebrities, all of them point scoring. It's sick. Blame those responsible and prosecute if necessary when all the facts are known. In the meantime these poor people must be looked after and helped to recover their lives from this tragedy. Hopefully a justgiving page will come into being to help do this

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Agreed. Government's the place for swinging cuts, outsourcing and the de-regularising of the building industry to the detriment of common sense safety regulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larus

Absolutely
pa-28104829.jpg

Only slight problem with your picture/post. The leave side was not a politcail party. All of the political parties (establishment) were Remainers. The Remainers did no preparation in the event of a Leave vote as they assumed their f*cking huge lies, such as £30bln emergency budget, house price crash, immediate recession, interest rate rises, etc. would scare the plebs into voting for their 'snouts in the trough' jolly - aka the EU.

So, this one lie (which is very misleading I will admit, although most people knew it would not really be spent on the NHS) does not come slightly close to the huge crap espoused by the establishment. So, get over it. More people voted leave even through all that bullshit.

CFAHB

Jun 1, 2017

Centrepoint being an historic example of using spiv speculator properties for social benefit

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why does every issue have to revert to politics. In jump the politicians, closely followed by the celebrities, all of them point scoring. It's sick. Blame those responsible and prosecute if necessary when all the facts are known. In the meantime these poor people must be looked after and helped to recover their lives from this tragedy. Hopefully a justgiving page will come into being to help do this

I think this thread shows that for most people, it's not about politics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here