Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Flying Scotsman

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
https://www.beholder.uk/steam/ This is the trainspotters site. Lines East of Southampton seem to be ignored this year. Not a single train through Botley this year, for viewing by NSC members( Steam Branch)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Strewth - Victoria to Woking via Willesden and Kew.......talk about round the houses!

Well Kew is roughly on line of route to be fair, (it's on the Hounslow loop), but Willesden seems a tad strange. Network Rail seem to keep these charter trains well out of the way of scheduled services. Reminds me of some of the weird and wonderful routings the old Seagull Express was forced to follow back in the day.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well Kew is roughly on line of route to be fair...........

Well, only if you are coming from Willesden! Having reached Clapham Junction, there is a direct route to Woking that doesn't go within miles of Kew. I can only think the object of the exercise is to give the punters a longer (and much slower) ride!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well, only if you are coming from Willesden! Having reached Clapham Junction, there is a direct route to Woking that doesn't go within miles of Kew. I can only think the object of the exercise is to give the punters a longer (and much slower) ride!

Or to keep old steam engines away from the main line lol, (however glamorous they may be!).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Or to keep old steam engines away from the main line lol, (however glamorous they may be!).

Not very successful, then - on some very busy lines out of Victoria, has to slow down for Clapham Junction to make its way across to the West London line, then up for a quick wander around the West Coast main line at Willesden. So, about a 30 mile detour, only to rejoin the main line from Clapham Junction to Woking about half way down! So, about ten miles of the SW mainline avoided, ten miles which, given a straight run through it could have whisked through in very little over ten minutes!
Still, it is often said by many ITK that the trouble with the railways is that they aren't run by railwaymen any more!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not very successful, then - on some very busy lines out of Victoria, has to slow down for Clapham Junction to make its way across to the West London line, then up for a quick wander around the West Coast main line at Willesden. So, about a 30 mile detour, only to rejoin the main line from Clapham Junction to Woking about half way down! So, about ten miles of the SW mainline avoided, ten miles which, given a straight run through it could have whisked through in very little over ten minutes!
Still, it is often said by many ITK that the trouble with the railways is that they aren't run by railwaymen any more!

Indeed, and as far as your final paragraph is concerned, thereby lies the problem!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
https://www.beholder.uk/steam/ This is the trainspotters site. Lines East of Southampton seem to be ignored this year. Not a single train through Botley this year, for viewing by NSC members( Steam Branch)

A friend of mine always wanted to be run over by a steam train. When it happened, he was chuffed to bits.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I thought this was about the "bar" in Kings Cross..

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that bar closed down I think last year. Going to be a tex mex restaurant or similar. The licensing regime, immigration rules and penalties plus the kind of rents now being demanded in that part of the world made it difficult to justify continuing in business...

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that bar closed down I think last year. Going to be a tex mex restaurant or similar. The licensing regime, immigration rules and penalties plus the kind of rents now being demanded in that part of the world made it difficult to justify continuing in business...
It's now quite a nice pub with a roof terrace. Bizarre!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here