Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Six Games In, how do you feel about our season so far?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Our performance's against Liverpool, United, Fulham (2nd half), Southampton (2nd half) and Spurs (2nd half) have shown we've definitely got the quality to survive. It took us until West Ham away last season for realistic signs we were good enough at this standard. This season, we've found our groove a lot quicker, it's just about consistency now. We need to perform for 90 mins. These 1st half performance's are our only real concerns. Once that's sorted, I think we could have the potential to finish very comfortably. Only real downside to this season so far is the realisation Locadia looks like a poor mans Andre Gray. Fingers crossed he can prove us all wrong.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
But he hasn't played has he?

Apart from FFS, we are struggling for goals, he was our star summer signing striker yet Chris has preferred Locadia in every game they've both been available so far..

If he's still coming back to fitness, what's he on the bench for? The atmosphere?

Andone has only been available for 1 game so this has happened precisely once - and on this occasion a good backheel from Locadia set up a counter that could have got a point. Andone will get his chance soon enough.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our performance's against Liverpool, United, Fulham (2nd half), Southampton (2nd half) and Spurs (2nd half) have shown we've definitely got the quality to survive. It took us until West Ham away last season for realistic signs we were good enough at this standard. This season, we've found our groove a lot quicker, it's just about consistency now. We need to perform for 90 mins. These 1st half performance's are our only real concerns. Once that's sorted, I think we could have the potential to finish very comfortably. Only real downside to this season so far is the realisation Locadia looks like a poor mans Andre Gray. Fingers crossed he can prove us all wrong.

I also thought that we were quality against Fulham for 30 minutes until they scored, through another lapse of concentration. We came out of the blocks fired up.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Apart from FFS, we are struggling for goals, he was our star summer signing striker yet Chris has preferred Locadia in every game they've both been available so far..

If he's still coming back to fitness, what's he on the bench for? The atmosphere?

Are we though - we've scored 8 from 6 games so far this year. We only got 34 in 38 last year - so we're ahead on total goals. Goals not from Murray? - this year 4 in 6 games, last year 22 in 38 games. So, again, we're doing better so far. Last year, 8 others scored (and four of them only got one goal) - this year, we've already had three other scorers in just six games.

I think our main trouble at the moment is defence - not scoring.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Give him a chance. As i said, Andone has just got back from injury. When exactly was he supposed to be ahead of Locadia in the pecking order?

D

Deleted member 2719

It’s not their jobs on the line though is it? The ideal would be to go at every team and blast them away but it’s not going to happen in the real world is it? If Knocky had put that last minute equaliser away the pundits and ex managers (I guess you are alluding to spend a lot and piss off Harry?) would have been raving about our tactics.

It’s not pretty but it is likely to be our best chance of staying up. Let’s leave the gung-ho stuff to matches against non top 4 clubs.

I am pretty sure CH didn’t tell the team to go out and run around chasing shadows for the first 15 mins either but that’s what we had to do. It’s what top teams do to you.

Gung-Ho, is not what pundits are saying they are just suggesting, we are parking a double decker, maybe a single deck bus would do the job.
Wolves play with no fear, maybe Chris could take a tiny bit of that on board and let go of those leashes around March and Knocky while the score is still level, rather than keep chasing all these games.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It would be nice if we weren’t 1-0 down at half time , then decide to play in the second half , only game we went for it was against Man Utd and guess what , we won

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Based on what I have seen then disappointed as we could (should) have 6 more points....optimistic view yes, but when we have played well we looked really good.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If anything I'm a bit more excited about us at the moment. At least we know if we go a goal or two down we have it in us to claw our way back into games.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bit of boring back story to it really, there was a thread a while ago (cant remember what it was) where the subject of the the constant misspelling of Hughtons name on the forum cropped up, people still spelling it Hewton or Houghton etc. Anways, I amalgamated the two to make it easier for these idiots and having posted it a few times my phone now gives it me as option when i just type H E W. (I've typed this on a MAC)

So I continue to use it out of phone typing laziness.

I really should stop, but now I know it annoys you and your 3 likers, I'm going to take great pleasure (and will think of you) in continuing to use it. :bigwave:
Fair play to you. It's not every day that someone admits to wanting to be thought of as a bit of a prat!!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Fair play to you. It's not every day that someone admits to wanting to be thought of as a bit of a prat!!

:lolol:

And another one triggered by it !

Who knew [emoji1303].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It would be nice if we weren’t 1-0 down at half time , then decide to play in the second half , only game we went for it was against Man Utd and guess what , we won

I disagree, we went at Fulham, and we set up the same against Spurs as we did United, only United didn’t get in behind us and we were able to get on the front foot and grow into the game quicker than we did against Spurs. People see what they want to see and give little credit to what the opposition are doing.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Based on what I have seen then disappointed as we could (should) have 6 more points....optimistic view yes, but when we have played well we looked really good.

6 more points, really?

So would that have been 2 more against Fulham, 1 against Watford, 2 more against Southampton and 1 against Tottenham - as I take it you think that Liverpool are good enough to beat us?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
6 more points, really?

So would that have been 2 more against Fulham, 1 against Watford, 2 more against Southampton and 1 against Tottenham - as I take it you think that Liverpool are good enough to beat us?

When we turned it on we really looked good. A point against Spurs would have not been unfair given that last 10 mins or so. AK could(should? have had a hat-trick). But I would have settled for 1 point. Should have got a point at Liverpool , the Gross header has to go in (1 point). Southampton were there for the taking and when we started going they could not handle us (so an extra 2 points). Fulham were the better team offensively their defence is worse than ours . If we score the first penalty then different game and another 2 points.

I am sure both Southampton and Fulham fans would be saying we should have buried Brighton once we were 2-0 up and the reality is they should have BUT could not contain us once we got going. The argument for Spurs and Liverpool will be they would have stepped up a gear and then scored another. I might accept that for Liverpool but Spurs not so sure.

Maybe blue tinted glasses but look at the results some of the other teams have achieved e.g. Watford and Wolves.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
When we turned it on we really looked good. A point against Spurs would have not been unfair given that last 10 mins or so. AK could(should? have had a hat-trick). But I would have settled for 1 point. Should have got a point at Liverpool , the Gross header has to go in (1 point). Southampton were there for the taking and when we started going they could not handle us (so an extra 2 points). Fulham were the better team offensively their defence is worse than ours . If we score the first penalty then different game and another 2 points.

I am sure both Southampton and Fulham fans would be saying we should have buried Brighton once we were 2-0 up and the reality is they should have BUT could not contain us once we got going. The argument for Spurs and Liverpool will be they would have stepped up a gear and then scored another. I might accept that for Liverpool but Spurs not so sure.

Maybe blue tinted glasses but look at the results some of the other teams have achieved e.g. Watford and Wolves.

I know how easy it is to look at the “what ifs” and how results could so easily be different.

As for the two teams you allude to, Wolves have won two games so far, beating Burnley and West Ham 1-0.

Watford have had a good start, but their victories over Brighton, Burnley and Palace aren’t that massive. Yes they did beat Tottenham, but let’s see how they pan out over the next couple of months.

For me, yes we could have quite easily posted more points, but I am quite happy with the way things are currently going. You will never find a style of play that fits everyone, but I am sure we are heading in the right direction.

i actually think it will take us dropping into the bottom 3 and staying there for the manager to be forced to change tactics. Best so far is AK - seems like a new signing again and CH seems to be giving him more freedom in the second half at least. Murray now beginning to worry me that hes costing us goals. Several times against Spurs we had March running down the left and then waiting for what felt like 10 minutes for backup to arrive for someone to pass to. In each occassion i was like WTF is Murray (bless him). Bong has had a lot of stick and ironically seems to have a burst of speed - just a shame he cant control the ball..Jury out on AJ at the moment and feel Bernado is due another chance - this time playing in his correct position!..People are saying here that the footy is getting boring but one things for sure - it isnt boring following the albion..

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I know how easy it is to look at the “what ifs” and how results could so easily be different.

As for the two teams you allude to, Wolves have won two games so far, beating Burnley and West Ham 1-0.

Watford have had a good start, but their victories over Brighton, Burnley and Palace aren’t that massive. Yes they did beat Tottenham, but let’s see how they pan out over the next couple of months.

For me, yes we could have quite easily posted more points, but I am quite happy with the way things are currently going. You will never find a style of play that fits everyone, but I am sure we are heading in the right direction.

As I said maybe blue tinted but with a bit more self belief or maybe just playing the games for 90 mins would probably have delivered a lot more points... Watford have won games our rivals we have drawn them.....

The real debate is how do we get that last 30 minutes to extend to 60+

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here