Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Rowett

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Which is his problem because he won't get two years, he'll be lucky to get 6 months if theyre not pushing for promotion in that timescale.

The curse of the Championship manager is ex-Prem players on big money who think they're too good for the Championship. This problem is compounded when, like Norwich, Derby and Forest, you stockpile players in one position so that 3-4 decent players are redundant and turn into bad apples.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Rowett and his management team are all ex-Birmingham City players so he had a lot of goodwill from the fans, he 'got' the club and this helped him gain the support of his players..

He is more an 'ex-Derby player' than an ex-Birmingham one, though. Played more seasons / matches there, and central to the team that got Derby promoted to the Premier League.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would have thought that any manager who had a choice would choose Norwich over Derby. At least at Norwich you would stand a chance :shrug:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think that's a great job to take.

In Christie, Thorne, Ince, Hughes, Vydra, Bent, Johnson, Anya, Shackell, Olsson, Blackman they have talented players who SHOULD be playoff contenders in this division.

Add a bit of steel to the defensive areas (exactly what Rowett does) then they could be a force next year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

In Christie, Thorne, Ince, Hughes, Vydra, Bent, Johnson, Anya, Shackell, Olsson, Blackman they have talented players who SHOULD be playoff contenders in this division.

Add a bit of steel to the defensive areas (exactly what Rowett does) then they could be a force next year.

They seem to have fallen apart at the back without Richard Keogh. Big player for them.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
"Gary is being tasked with, and has the full responsibility for, leading our redevelopment programme," said Derby County Chairman Mel Morris.

Anyone else wondering what on earth that means?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
"Gary is being tasked with, and has the full responsibility for, leading our redevelopment programme," said Derby County Chairman Mel Morris.

Anyone else wondering what on earth that means?

He carries the can when they fail to be promoted.

Morris happy to take the plaudits, should they succeed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

We need them to improve defensively very quick this season not next.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So he's not the new manager then?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Looking at the team that played Friday, even without a few of the above, I was shocked at how awful they were. If you look at their record, they've struggled to score goals all season, which is ridiculous with the attacking players they've got. They have so many options that they could afford to loan out Chris Martin at the start of the season and Andreas Weimann in January and players like Anya, who did a decent job in the Premier League for Watford last season, aren't in the first team.

Rowett has a big job to do but I agree it is a great squad he's taken over. If he can get everyone working together, we've seen what they can do when they won eight in a row earlier in the season under McClaren. They came fifth last season and arguably have a stronger squad now having only lost Hendricks and Martin and signed a number of players.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
They got him in pretty quickly. Looks like they are a bit more savvy than Norwich in this respect. So maybe the spunktrumpet wil eventually become Norwich's manager after all. Ha ha.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Saturday 8th April 2017 - Oh look! It's Birmingham City vs Derby County...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ah no, his responsibility is not for ensuring promotion, but redevelopment. Try and quantify that.
Isnt the Chairman saying he doesnt just want promotion as he wants promotion and then be able to maintain the level and improve in the Premier and not be a yo yo club. This is the task given to Gary Rowett.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ah no, his responsibility is not for ensuring promotion, but redevelopment. Try and quantify that.

I dunno. Whatever happens, one of them will carry the can. My money is on.... :)

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Isnt the Chairman saying he doesnt just want promotion as he wants promotion and then be able to maintain the level and improve in the Premier and not be a yo yo club. This is the task given to Gary Rowett.

It's meaningless management speak really though isn't it? The only redevelopment that needs to be done is put them back where they were 2/3+ years ago before Morris started meddling in all their affairs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here