Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jacob Rees-Mogg.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Which out of touch views?

I possibly chose the wrong expression in "out of touch", but I don't think anybody would doubt that his political views are fairly extreme. He is from a hugely privileged background and I have just read something which estimates the combined wealth of himself and his wife at about £100,000,000. Thaat does not indicate that he would be in tune with the struggles of people trying to survive doing three jobs all on the minimum wage and still going to food-banks

But - out of touch. Just a couple of extracts from his Wikipedia entry. I know Wikipedia is not the be-all and end-ll, but I can remember all of these happening:

In September 2017 Rees-Mogg suggested that food banks fulfil a vital function, and proceeded to argue that "to have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens I think is rather uplifting and shows what a good, compassionate country we are". He went on to argue that "the real reason for the rise in numbers is that people know that they are there and Labour deliberately didn't tell them."

During the same interview Rees-Mogg conceded that people have "found life tough" but suggested the best way out of poverty was through employment.

He has called children who went to state school and were not privately educated "potted plants"

Regarding climate change, Rees-Mogg thinks solutions that do not hinder technological progress should be sought. He has argued for abolition of environmental protections: "We could say, if it's good enough in India, it's good enough for here. There's nothing to stop that. We could take it a very long way...I accept that we're not going to allow dangerous toys to come in from China, we don’t want to see those kind of risks. But there's a very long way you can go."

Rees-Mogg is a supporter of zero-hour contracts, arguing that they benefit employees, including students, by providing flexibility and could provide a route into more permanent employment.[108]

End of Wikipedia bits. Some people might think that those are not "out of touch", but I do.

But what I probably should have said is that I would not vote for him in a million years because I fundamentally disagree with everything he says, thinks, writes and does and all the views he holds about which I have read. His political views have been described as High Tory, reactionary, traditionalist, right-wing populist, and socially conservative. I am about as far away from all of that as it is possible to be.

And his conservative views on abortion and gay marriage do not come in to it because, to be fair, he accepts that his views would never be taken in to law.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I share an "alma mater" with him - the same college in Oxford, although I was there a few years before him, and I am almost ashamed of the fact.

My wife was same college, year below. I was different college, same year. Every time I saw/spoke to him, he was like an old-fashioned, ultra-posh middle-aged man, but extremely polite and well-mannered. Nanny sightings were frequent. I'm not sure he's changed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought that Rees-Mogg's comments about Britain becoming a vassal state if we are forced to accept new EU laws during the 21-month transition phase / implementation period were extremely unhelpful.

May and Davis hear this stuff and sh1t their pants, then come out with rubbish in the negotiations to appease the hard right of the Tory Party. This could result in the offer of a transition phase being withdrawn, screwing business big time.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I thought that Rees-Mogg's comments about Britain becoming a vassal state if we are forced to accept new EU laws during the 21-month transition phase / implementation period were extremely unhelpful.

May and Davis hear this stuff and sh1t their pants, then come out with rubbish in the negotiations to appease the hard right of the Tory Party. This could result in the offer of a transition phase being withdrawn, screwing business big time.

In case you hadn't realised the hard right of the Tory party are currently dictating the terms on which this country is being "governed".

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I possibly chose the wrong expression in "out of touch", but I don't think anybody would doubt that his political views are fairly extreme. He is from a hugely privileged background and I have just read something which estimates the combined wealth of himself and his wife at about £100,000,000. Thaat does not indicate that he would be in tune with the struggles of people trying to survive doing three jobs all on the minimum wage and still going to food-banks

But - out of touch. Just a couple of extracts from his Wikipedia entry. I know Wikipedia is not the be-all and end-ll, but I can remember all of these happening:

In September 2017 Rees-Mogg suggested that food banks fulfil a vital function, and proceeded to argue that "to have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens I think is rather uplifting and shows what a good, compassionate country we are". He went on to argue that "the real reason for the rise in numbers is that people know that they are there and Labour deliberately didn't tell them."

During the same interview Rees-Mogg conceded that people have "found life tough" but suggested the best way out of poverty was through employment.

He has called children who went to state school and were not privately educated "potted plants"

Regarding climate change, Rees-Mogg thinks solutions that do not hinder technological progress should be sought. He has argued for abolition of environmental protections: "We could say, if it's good enough in India, it's good enough for here. There's nothing to stop that. We could take it a very long way...I accept that we're not going to allow dangerous toys to come in from China, we don’t want to see those kind of risks. But there's a very long way you can go."

Rees-Mogg is a supporter of zero-hour contracts, arguing that they benefit employees, including students, by providing flexibility and could provide a route into more permanent employment.[108]

End of Wikipedia bits. Some people might think that those are not "out of touch", but I do.

But what I probably should have said is that I would not vote for him in a million years because I fundamentally disagree with everything he says, thinks, writes and does and all the views he holds about which I have read. His political views have been described as High Tory, reactionary, traditionalist, right-wing populist, and socially conservative. I am about as far away from all of that as it is possible to be.

And his conservative views on abortion and gay marriage do not come in to it because, to be fair, he accepts that his views would never be taken in to law.

Interesting, and fair play to you at least for quoting him verbatim and not taking something he's said and putting it through some kind of word twisting exercise like many people do.

And you are right, it's better for you to say that you disagree with him, rather than that he is "out of touch", plenty agree with him and plenty do not, who exactly is "in touch" anyway and how do we really measure that, it's a useless concept really.

As for the views which you posted, and which you disagree with, I'll share my views on each of them.

Food banks - I agree with him, it's a good thing that people are willing to give, and that those in need are able to get. I find nothing in that idea offensive. Try not to read into that something which isn't there, nobody would argue that "it's good that there are people in need", which is what is implied when people quote that statement. There are people in need, that's a shame, but since there are people in need, food banks are a good thing, and show a generosity of spirit since they depend on people giving things for free so that others may have them. You might say that you wish that there weren't food banks, but more accurately you want to say that you wish there were not people in need. I'm sure JRM would agree with that, but in this sense you could say that he is "in touch with the world we live in", where you are in touch with a perfect world we sadly don't live in. Given that there are people in need, I assume you would rather we have food banks than not? And would you not agree that people who donate to food banks are kind hearted? If you think about it, what he said was not controversial.

The best way out of poverty is employment - Yes it is, unless you can think of another way?

Potted Plants - He was talking about the view that the Conservative Party shouldn't have so many well educated people as MPs. The full quote: “We don’t want to make it harder for intellectually able people to be Tory party candidates. The Tory party, when it's elected, has to be able to form a government and it's not going to be able to form a government if it has potted plants as candidates simply to make up quotas." The way you put it (or perhaps the way it was put on Wiki) made it sound like an attack on children from less well educated backgrounds. It was actually a defense of people who are well educated, and a suggestion that we should want well educated people as MPs, since it is (supposed to be) a pretty intellectually heavyweight profession. If someone from a less well educated background has what it takes to be an MP good for them, but there shouldn't be a resistance to having very well educated people as MPs, that's foolish.

Climate Change Technological progress should not be hindered if at all possible, after all it is likely technological progress which will help us solve environmental challenges. The quote from Wiki says "He has argued for abolition of environmental protections", but nothing he said is advocating the abolition of environmental protections, but he is arguing for less (not no) regulations. Regulations are not inherently good because they are regulations, there are plenty of regulations which are positively bad. According to the Renewable Energy Association, "EU environmental directives are detrimental to marine energy projects for the small companies." as an example. "REA: EU environmental regulations damaging to wave and tidal growth" - https://tidalenergytoday.com/2016/0...egulations-damaging-to-wave-and-tidal-growth/

Zero-hour contracts - Plenty of people who are on zero hours contracts like their flexibility and are happy to be on them. Low skilled people, students and others may be unable to secure full time work, if they couldn't get casual and flexible work (which often uses a zero hour contract) they simply wouldn't be able to get work at all. If someone is finding that they desperately need full time work and guaranteed income they need to get a more stable full time job. If they are finding that difficult to do and bemoaning having a zero hour contract then I sympathize with them, but there prospects wouldn't be better if zero hours contracts didn't exist, they just wouldn't have a job at all. Most people I hear complaining about zero hours contracts don't have one, and most people I hear defending them do have one.

When you say, "His political views have been described as High Tory, reactionary, traditionalist, right-wing populist, and socially conservative. I am about as far away from all of that as it is possible to be." That's just comparing his labels with your labels, I always try to ignore other peoples labels and my own and stick to the details. Sometimes I find that the labels stuck on someone else actually don't fit, or even don't mean what I thought they did, other times I find my own labels don't fit or mean what I thought they did too. Best to avoid basing anything on labels and deal with an argument on it's merits I think.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In case you hadn't realised the hard right of the Tory party are currently dictating the terms on which this country is being "governed".

I don't see much "governing" going on at all. Everybody in government is winging it. Even the paltry level of growth we're experiencing is a by-product of much stronger global growth and a weak pound caused by Brexit.

I cannot see any original policy which has directly led to growth at all since 2015. Neither Cameron nor May felt the need to bother with policies, they just have a pop at the opposition, repeat "strong and stable" over and over again and hope the sheep out there re-elect them.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I see he's been doing a show on LBC. Another one doing a job in the media when you should be concentrating on other things as a member of parliament

D

Deleted member 22389

I see he's been doing a show on LBC. Another one doing a job in the media when you should be concentrating on other things as a member of parliament

Thanks for letting me know, I will check it out.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He was interviewing that Henry Bolton bloke from UKIP, who isn't a racist - honest - he just likes sleeping with 25 year old blonde girls half his age, who are.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh look another ****ing liar in the Conservative party E8EAFE6A-8376-4422-A5EC-F91757B0478C.png

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Is it just me or is JRM what Walter the Softy from Dennis the Menace became when he grew up?

Judging by the way he manhandled those lefty Students at a recent brawl, I’d say no.

He was obviously toughened up at prep school although I suspect he lost the biscuit game a number of times due to his catholic beliefs and awkward manner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here