Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The cost of importing product into the business I work in has risen by around 15% since Brexit. This product is only just beginning to filter through into our warehouse stock, guess what will happen to the prices in the very near future?

What is the product and what is its role within the mainstay of your business, if you have an increase of 15% on 10p widgets its pretty much inconsequential whereas if its a 15% increase on key high cost products then it has an impact, but any business with brain cell would do well to not over complain about currency fluctuations.

I see you have little sense of consequences for your business neighbours that might export, nor any sense of balance to perhaps suspect that an overvalued pound was giving you an unfair advantage on sourcing products from abroad, in a way subsidising your competitiveness.

Of course one of the main arguments at the time of the UK considering joining the Euro was that these fluctuations and associated positives and negatives would be wiped due to a common currency and I do not see any Remainers nor Brexiteers thinking we missed an opportunity there.

So pick your preferred economic data with care, or you might look slightly stupid.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What is the product and what is its role within the mainstay of your business, if you have an increase of 15% on 10p widgets its pretty much inconsequential whereas if its a 15% increase on key high cost products then it has an impact, but any business with brain cell would do well to not over complain about currency fluctuations.

I see you have little sense of consequences for your business neighbours that might export, nor any sense of balance to perhaps suspect that an overvalued pound was giving you an unfair advantage on sourcing products from abroad, in a way subsidising your competitiveness.

Of course one of the main arguments at the time of the UK considering joining the Euro was that these fluctuations and associated positives and negatives would be wiped due to a common currency and I do not see any Remainers nor Brexiteers thinking we missed an opportunity there.

So pick your preferred economic data with care, or you might look slightly stupid.

It is across a range of products, from small low value items, to high value premium brands, but it does not make one iota's difference as it is the exchange rate doing the damage. Add on the rising cost of fuel, both in real terms and in pound/dollar terms and things are beginning g to compound upon each other. But the base line is that the cost of imported goods is rising and you cannot argue that this is not true. But it is not only products but raw materials used in production of goods that we export too. I am not particularly trying to paint a black picture, but if you do not recognise problems that are only just around the corner then you are a fool.

Exports are rising, great. But unless that translates into wage rises for bus drivers, shop workers and nurses then they are all going to be worse off because of rising inflation. There are also a large minority of workers who have mortgages who have never lived in an inflationary era, and they are going to see their monthly repayments rising too. Double whammy coming right up.

And once the Brexit button is actually pressed the pound will nosedive again. Gonna go out on a limb against all the predictions and say inflation will be at least 5% in around eighteen months. Good luck with that.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It is across a range of products, from small low value items, to high value premium brands, but it does not make one iota's difference as it is the exchange rate doing the damage. Add on the rising cost of fuel, both in real terms and in pound/dollar terms and things are beginning g to compound upon each other. But the base line is that the cost of imported goods is rising and you cannot argue that this is not true. But it is not only products but raw materials used in production of goods that we export too. I am not particularly trying to paint a black picture, but if you do not recognise problems that are only just around the corner then you are a fool.

Exports are rising, great. But unless that translates into wage rises for bus drivers, shop workers and nurses then they are all going to be worse off because of rising inflation. There are also a large minority of workers who have mortgages who have never lived in an inflationary era, and they are going to see their monthly repayments rising too. Double whammy coming right up.

And once the Brexit button is actually pressed the pound will nosedive again. Gonna go out on a limb against all the predictions and say inflation will be at least 5% in around eighteen months. Good luck with that.

You may be correct but, the doom was meant to start after the referendum, Armageddon was upon us. Now because the meltdown has not happened the predictions are now 2 years away. Hedging the bets eh.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

You think he looks stupid for saying that in his company, costs have increased and prices will therefore rise?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Why weren't you moaning when the oil price was over $100 dollars a barrel a couple of years or more ago. We were paying far more for fuel then. I suppose it doesn't support the constant negativity against Brexit. Whilst we are at it what about when the pound was last valued below what it is now, again it doesn't suit your argument.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Why weren't you moaning when the oil price was over $100 dollars a barrel a couple of years or more ago. We were paying far more for fuel then. I suppose it doesn't support the constant negativity against Brexit. Whilst we are at it what about when the pound was last valued below what it is now, again it doesn't suit your argument.

It is a bit daft to say we have had problems before with different causes, so problems now cannot be due to Brexit.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The road will undoubtedly be rocky and there will be winners and losers in the short to medium term. We will all have to cut our cloth accordingly.

Leave voters believe that is a price worth paying in order to start fixing our political system and we'll be better off in the long term, it's a simple as that.

Brexit is the new Thatcher [MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] are going to be on social media for the next 25 years blaming Brexit for every price rise, every person who loses their job, every interest rate change, every fuel price rise, every time the FTSE drops etc. etc. etc........

On the plus side, at least Maggie finally gets a break!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The road will undoubtedly be rocky and there will be winners and losers in the short to medium term. We will all have to cut our cloth accordingly.

Leave voters believe that is a price worth paying in order to start fixing our political system and we'll be better off in the long term, it's a simple as that.

Brexit is the new Thatcher [MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] are going to be on social media for the next 25 years blaming Brexit for every price rise, every person who loses their job, every interest rate change, every fuel price rise, every time the FTSE drops etc. etc. etc........

I believe that is a price worth paying in order to start fixing our political system, I do not believe we are on any such path though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And you're going to be on social media in 25 years time saying the UK has always had exchange rate collapses, high unemployment, businesses derserting the uk etc etc. Can you also turn the light off when you leave.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You think he looks stupid for saying that in his company, costs have increased and prices will therefore rise?

His was just an anecdotle story of his workplace, driven by his own position of a Remainer who had previously cited immediate economic disaster if we had the temerity to vote leave, it never happened and current data isnt backing up his or yours view, so you just push the negative prediction upstream, 18 months, after triggering article 50, a year, 10 years and so on.

It doesnt reflect reality or the wider picture, inflation is currently standing at 1.6% and not 15% thats the reality and serving up just another dollop of future assumptions is worthless, especially from you Remainers as you scurry around trying to justify your previous inaccurate predictions by now looking for anything that might offer a titbit of negativity, you are just waiting for that day, that one day when you can say 'I told you so', a reprieve perhaps but at present us Brexiteer can say 'I told you so' each day since June 23rd 2016 and it feels good.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Should change your name to 15%.Are you the goon who said everything physical would increase 15% in 3 months?My newspaper is still the same price.The 2 liters of milk I bought this morning is cheaper than before Christmas.My Tesco on-line shop was 20p cheaper than before Christmas etc.Funny how you lot have always got a brother,sister,neighbour,european friend,abused person,disadvantaged benefit claimant now worse off etc and never back it up.
dickhead.jpg

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It is a bit daft to say we have had problems before with different causes, so problems now cannot be due to Brexit.

Could be looked at that some seem to think we never had these problems before Brexit, and what problems are we actually seeing post Brexit, and not ones that MIGHT happen.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Should change your name to 15%.Are you the goon who said everything physical would increase 15% in 3 months?My newspaper is still the same price.The 2 liters of milk I bought this morning is cheaper than before Christmas.My Tesco on-line shop was 20p cheaper than before Christmas etc.Funny how you lot have always got a brother,sister,neighbour,european friend,abused person,disadvantaged benefit claimant now worse off etc and never back it up.
View attachment 80952

I think you are replying to the wrong post .....

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think you are replying to the wrong post .....

If I am,many apologies.The post Referendum lunchtime beer must be stronger,due to the brewers putting less water in (15% price increase in water)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I don't have an argument, I have a fact for you........Inflation is going to rise. Fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here