Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton to continue their involvement in the Checkatrade Trophy this season

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A complete disaster? Not by me it wasn't. I think it's great to give the younger players, and the fringe first teamers, the chance of playing in a cometitive tournament, against in many cases, ,lower division sides first teams.

I'm glad you regard it a success, but outside of Cowfold it was deemed a failure by the masses, many clubs broke records for all time low attendances. There were cases of teams that were fielding players for 7 minutes and then hauling them off after 7 minutes as it was the only way they would avoid the fine for not meeting the required number of u-23 players.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It was last year too I think, and it was generally considered to be a complete disaster.

As you say, 'Generally considered to be a complete disaster' - Oh, wait a minute - Breaking News:

Brighton & Hove Albion under-23s coach Simon Rusk is pleased that his side have been selected to take part in the Checkatrade Trophy again, following the EFL’s announcement earlier today.

A total of 16 academy one sides have been included, and Rusk highlighted how beneficial the competition will be for his squad.

He said, “We really enjoyed our experience in the Checkatrade Trophy last year and gained loads of positives from it, so I'm delighted.

“It gives us an opportunity to improve what we did last season from a competitive point of view, where results are very important.

“The lads are given a chance to play against men in a first-team match. That’s something that they can only gain from, and the boys more than held their own.

“Last year was like a pilot; I’m sure conversations have taken place regarding what was good and what wasn’t so good, and it’s another year for the competition to evolve, grow and develop.

“Hopefully it can help young English players come through their academy systems.”

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
Palace's academy is Cat2 hence they are not on the list, I'm glad we've entered it again, let's hope we can go far next season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As you say, 'Generally considered to be a complete disaster' - Oh, wait a minute - Breaking News:

Brighton & Hove Albion under-23s coach Simon Rusk is pleased that his side have been selected to take part in the Checkatrade Trophy again, following the EFL’s announcement earlier today.

A total of 16 academy one sides have been included, and Rusk highlighted how beneficial the competition will be for his squad.

He said, “We really enjoyed our experience in the Checkatrade Trophy last year and gained loads of positives from it, so I'm delighted.

“It gives us an opportunity to improve what we did last season from a competitive point of view, where results are very important.

“The lads are given a chance to play against men in a first-team match. That’s something that they can only gain from, and the boys more than held their own.

“Last year was like a pilot; I’m sure conversations have taken place regarding what was good and what wasn’t so good, and it’s another year for the competition to evolve, grow and develop.

“Hopefully it can help young English players come through their academy systems.”

As I said, it was GENERALLY considered a disaster, but not by everyone. Feel free to look further into the subject and you'll find far more people that are against the competition than in favour of it. The whole restructuring of the tournament has completely devalued the competition for the actual teams that should be competing in it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As I said, it was GENERALLY considered a disaster, but not by everyone. Feel free to look further into the subject and you'll find far more people that are against the competition than in favour of it. The whole restructuring of the tournament has completely devalued the competition for the actual teams that should be competing in it.

Actually, I looked in to the subject quite a lot last season. Each of the different football competitions is valued differently by the clubs at different points in their success cycle. I am a Brighton fan much more than a general football fan. As such, I am more interested in the progress and development of our U23s in this competion than say Man Utd in the Europa League or England in whatever competion they lead a group then lose in the main competion. The Checkatrade Trophy was already dying on it's feet with little interest from fans until the latter stages, so no change there. But my club is benefitting from continued involvement, so I'm in favour of the new format which has at least regenerated some interest in a competition that was aleady regarded as a hindrance by many who derided it anyway in the old format.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Actually, I looked in to the subject quite a lot last season. Each of the different football competitions is valued differently by the clubs at different points in their success cycle. I am a Brighton fan much more than a general football fan. As such, I am more interested in the progress and development of our U23s in this competion than say Man Utd in the Europa League or England in whatever competion they lead a group then lose in the main competion. The Checkatrade Trophy was already dying on it's feet with little interest from fans until the latter stages, so no change there. But my club is benefitting from continued involvement, so I'm in favour of the new format which has at least regenerated some interest in a competition that was aleady regarded as a hindrance by many who derided it anyway in the old format.

So you're ignoring the bit about record low attendances? I appreciate you're a Brighton fan first and foremost, but seeing a traditional competition butchered for the sake of a few u-23's getting run out seems to show a slightly selfish attitude.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So you're ignoring the bit about record low attendances? I appreciate you're a Brighton fan first and foremost, but seeing a traditional competition butchered for the sake of a few u-23's getting run out seems to show a slightly selfish attitude.

This is where I'm torn on the issue - for the kids, yeah it's great to get them into a 'senior' game against other professionals, but at the same time they could have made it an entirely separate invitational tournament rather than devalue the existing competition. I know it wasn't a massive competition but for a number of the lower league teams it was the one chance of a Wembley appearance they'd have each season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
This is where I'm torn on the issue - for the kids, yeah it's great to get them into a 'senior' game against other professionals, but at the same time they could have made it an entirely separate invitational tournament rather than devalue the existing competition. I know it wasn't a massive competition but for a number of the lower league teams it was the one chance of a Wembley appearance they'd have each season.

Agree 100% . The 'kids' need football but I don't feel it should be to the detriment of an existing competition.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ultimately at this point our academy is producing players for other clubs, our entry into this tournament doesn't help us but it'll help the players' careers for when they leave us and try to forge a football league career.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Great post, what happens when the final is between Man City u23s and Chelsea u23s? No one turns up, no one cares. Two lower league clubs get a decent pay day out of the final, it should remain that way. The top end of the pyramid already takes way too much of the pot, now we are stealing the lower leagues cup competition too.

It is classic wrong headed English thinking to do this. What we need to improve the quality of players coming through is better coaching from the very bottom. Germany have 28,400 coaches with the UEFA B licence, England 1,759! Train these players better from the beginning. The other thought is that players need to play games against experienced pros, so this tournament is needed. Why do our young players never get a game against senior pros? Because the biggest teams are stock piling talent to a ludicrous degree. It is time for maximum squad sizes at every level down from the first team. Let these players actually play. Fact is Chelsea's youth squad's toughest games are against each other. The FA Youth Cup Final has been Chelsea v Man City 3 years in a row. If we want these players to develop they need to actually play difficult games against their peers.

I guess there will be Albion fans who are anticipating spending the whole of next season in the bottom three places in the Premier League who will be happy to take the view that "I'm not taking this competition seriously, but I'm pleased we're in it, because at least it will attract youngsters to join our academy, and the future lies with youth".

I take a more simple view. If I'm watching any team play in blue and white stripes, I want them to win.

Even if they are called Hertha Berlin.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I guess there will be Albion fans who are anticipating spending the whole of next season in the bottom three places in the Premier League who will be happy to take the view that "I'm not taking this competition seriously, but I'm pleased we're in it, because at least it will attract youngsters to join our academy, and the future lies with youth".

I take a more simple view. If I'm watching any team play in blue and white stripes, I want them to win.

Even if they are called Hertha Berlin.

Heerenveen as well?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Oxford, MK Dons and Stevenage. Meh.

Two non-league clubs and pre-franchise non-league Wimbledon when I started going to the Goldstone and watching the Albion in 63.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Bit odd that it's not the Charlton Athletic, Crawley Town, Portsmouth group as it is meant to be based on location

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here