Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2015

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Absolutely incredible. I am lost for words

It's hardly surprising you loved it unconditionally. It's exactly the sort of film you like. I like a good no brainer film but this is bad.
You'd come across as much less of a wally if you didn't have a pop at people for not liking the same things you do.
Great that you like things, great that you know your mind.
Not so great that you act like such a plum about it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's hardly surprising you loved it unconditionally. It's exactly the sort of film you like. I like a good no brainer film but this is bad.
You'd come across as much less of a wally if you didn't have a pop at people for not liking the same things you do.
Great that you like things, great that you know your mind.
Not so great that you act like such a plum about it.

I am sure you did it to get a bite and congratulations on your success, I just think it is disingenuous to mislead people by saying it is an awful film as clearly under no interpretation of that phrase can this film be described as awful. Not my cup of tea ? fair enough, awful ? Behave, it is a very good and superbly crafted blockbuster with a decent story, great action and set pieces, great score and a glorious couple of hours. I like some of your reviews but I can't take you seriously if you consider this film as awful

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I am sure you did it to get a bite and congratulations on your success, I just think it is disingenuous to mislead people by saying it is an awful film as clearly under no interpretation of that phrase can this film be described as awful. Not my cup of tea ? fair enough, awful ? Behave, it is a very good and superbly crafted blockbuster with a decent story, great action and set pieces, great score and a gloriously couple of hours. I like some of your reviews but I can't take you seriously if you consider this film as awful

Bingo. Your stock response " I can't take you seriously if you don't like this"

I think it is a bad film. If you can't accept that perhaps you need to get a thicker skin and stop being such a big baby.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bingo. Your stock response " I can't take you seriously if you don't like this"

I think it is a bad film. If you can't accept that perhaps you need to get a thicker skin and stop being such a big baby.

The point is, it is not a bad film so I have a right to comment on that if you put it out there as fact. I like this thread but some of it is, I will be a dick and slag something off for effect, to be different, like quite a few critics do. I like to see a fair assessment of a film. I can't be arsed to discuss it anymore as I am getting some lunch. Have a good day

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The point is, it is not a bad film so I have a right to comment on that if you put it out there as fact. I like this thread but some of it is, I will be a dick and slag something off for effect, to be different, like quite a few critics do. I like to see a fair assessment of a film. I can't be arsed to discuss it anymore as I am getting some lunch. Have a good day

:flounce:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw Jurassic World in Imax 3D today.

Eh. It was ok, probably just edges out the third film, but not sure it outdoes the second. Definitely doesn't outdo the first. Seemed like it relied on too many cliches, I thought Chris Pratt was the only character that didn't annoy me. I also found myself frequently thinking "you're my boy, blue!" throughout most of the scenes with the velociraptors. While the final act was good, think I saw too much praise and so wasn't as blown away, as I expected more.

Reading that back, it sounds quite negative to me. I did enjoy it, but not blown away.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I saw Jurassic World in Imax 3D today.

Eh. It was ok, probably just edges out the third film, but not sure it outdoes the second. Definitely doesn't outdo the first. Seemed like it relied on too many cliches, I thought Chris Pratt was the only character that didn't annoy me. I also found myself frequently thinking "you're my boy, blue!" throughout most of the scenes with the velociraptors. While the final act was good, think I saw too much praise and so wasn't as blown away, as I expected more.

Reading that back, it sounds quite negative to me. I did enjoy it, but not blown away.

I think it was the second best and that comes from the biggest Spielberg fan in the World, it was better than 2 which in itself was underrated in imo. It is 1,4,2,3 for me. I am hoping to see Mr Holmes tomorrow

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Mad Max: Fury Road
First up, I should admit to never having seen a full mad max film before going to see this one. I've seen bits and pieces of them from when they've been on tv but I never seemed to get round to watching more than 10-15 minutes in one go. Which is about as much as you need to watch of this one. A pointless, plotless and ultimately dull 2 hour car chase even if there are some inventive stunts and ways to try and extend it. After two hours of relentless explosions and chasing through the desert we end up back where we started and caring just as little about any of the characters as we did at the start. To be honest you're probably better off watching Tupac's California Love on repeat 25 times in a row.

That said, my friends who I went with seemed to enjoy it and it appears to have really high ratings all over the internet so I guess it's just me and I'm completely missing something about it. :shrug:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I am sure you did it to get a bite and congratulations on your success, I just think it is disingenuous to mislead people by saying it is an awful film as clearly under no interpretation of that phrase can this film be described as awful. Not my cup of tea ? fair enough, awful ? Behave, it is a very good and superbly crafted blockbuster with a decent story, great action and set pieces, great score and a glorious couple of hours. I like some of your reviews but I can't take you seriously if you consider this film as awful

it was ok. Good action but story was predictable - in fact pretty much the same as all the others. I enjoyed it but wasn't knocked out by it. "A glorious couple of hours' - nah! A mildly entertaining couple of hours.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I just find it odd that Jurassic World has had 5 or so reviews on here and pretty much everyone said it was crap. That is the opposite to a lot of very positive reviews generally with 7.5 average imdb and 84% positive, 8.2 average rotten tomatoes from a combined 272k votes. Even critics voted it fresh with 71% average. It was also very well received during the 2 showings I went to.

Now if you want dull, watch Mr Holmes, my God that was slow. It picked up thankfully in the last 30 minutes and the acting was very good from McKellan and the Boy but I almost fell asleep twice in the first hour and that would have been a first. Also all the time I could hear JW from next door and was wishing I was watching that again.

Still of course the critics loved it

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
IT FOLLOWS.

Moody horror / ironic sledgehammer allegory of the dangers of promiscuity. The music is absolutely brilliant and makes the film. Not as good as everyone is making out, but well worth a watch.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I watched an older film last night. 50 dead men walking. About an IRA informant. Very good. 8/10.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I just find it odd that Jurassic World has had 5 or so reviews on here and pretty much everyone said it was crap. That is the opposite to a lot of very positive reviews generally with 7.5 average imdb and 84% positive, 8.2 average rotten tomatoes from a combined 272k votes. Even critics voted it fresh with 71% average. It was also very well received during the 2 showings I went to.

Now if you want dull, watch Mr Holmes, my God that was slow. It picked up thankfully in the last 30 minutes and the acting was very good from McKellan and the Boy but I almost fell asleep twice in the first hour and that would have been a first. Also all the time I could hear JW from next door and was wishing I was watching that again.

Still of course the critics loved it

The critics aren't right for everyone, just as what i think isn't right for you or your judgement of films is sometimes so opposite to mine. Best not to take it personally though, i think. Saying that, i was quite a fan of Two Days, One Night last year, and when my friend saw it the other month and said it didn't do much for him, i very much thought he hadn't watched it properly and bet he'd pressed pause about 18 times to finish another round on Fight Night Champion 2. :)
I used to use the Independent Friday reviews as a decent guide for me, but the reviewer changed about a year ago and i don't so much agree with this new one. I still give them a read to think through what i might fancy now though.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
King of Devil's Island - great Norwegian flick currently on BBC iPlayer. Think Scum set on a remote Norwegian island borstal. Based on a true story and featuring the legendary Stellan Skarsgard.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I saw the trailer for Ant Man. It looks absolute Turd

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Neither Meade's Ball nor myself particularly liked it because it didn't contain an ethnic wheelchair bound Finnish dinosaur with learning difficulties I'm afraid Unc. #bring back Cheeky Monkey

In related news the other half persuaded me, against my better judgement, to sit down and watch Ex Machina on Virgin. Thoroughly unlikeable beardy weirdy guy killed it for me, don't like the main actor (also the lead actor in the underwhelming indie film Frank), boring story/nothing new, and finally it wasn't a f/ing Pedro Almodavar subtitled piece of continental cinema. Apart from that it was bloody brilliant. That said I loved the stunning house where it was shot, presumably somewhere in Alaska.

It's The Juvet Landscape Hotel, Alstad, Norway. Probably the most stunning piece of hotel architecture I've ever visited.

juvet 2.jpgjuvet 1.jpg

More importantly, I actually enjoyed Ex Machina (& Frank). Oh well...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Mad Max: Fury Road
First up, I should admit to never having seen a full mad max film before going to see this one. I've seen bits and pieces of them from when they've been on tv but I never seemed to get round to watching more than 10-15 minutes in one go. Which is about as much as you need to watch of this one. A pointless, plotless and ultimately dull 2 hour car chase even if there are some inventive stunts and ways to try and extend it. After two hours of relentless explosions and chasing through the desert we end up back where we started and caring just as little about any of the characters as we did at the start. To be honest you're probably better off watching Tupac's California Love on repeat 25 times in a row.

That said, my friends who I went with seemed to enjoy it and it appears to have really high ratings all over the internet so I guess it's just me and I'm completely missing something about it. :shrug:

No, same for me. I know I am in a massive minority but I was bored after 5 minutes and looked at my watch. Explosions, guns and more explosions just do not interest me at all.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
No, same for me. I know I am in a massive minority but I was bored after 5 minutes and looked at my watch. Explosions, guns and more explosions just do not interest me at all.

i thought it was pretty damn awful too.

i just watched Woman in Gold. I enjoyed it - but then I am interested in restitution of Nazi stolen art.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Watched Frank, the film VERY loosely based on the career of Frank Sidebottom. All that is similar to his actual life is the papier mache head. I thought it was very good indeed and a great performance from Fassbender. Maggie Gyllenhall does her stock in trade loony bird role perfectly. Yeah, worth a watch if you like a well told, quirky little tale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here