Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL 2015 NFL Thread

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton
Just looking ahead to the Super Bowl I have for the first time got the Monday off work after the Super Bowl anyone go to or know of any good Super Bowl events that take place?!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I can only speak for myself but the thing that got me back in to it was finally submitting and getting Sky, ironically for the cricket and The Championship rather than NFL. Channel 4 got me in to NFL in the 80s and I became a huge fan of the Bears. You could say glory hunter but in Peyton they had the best RB I've ever seen, in McMahon the most rebellious QB plus a lineman who was the size of several houses. What wasn't to like? Plus I was mates with your brother (I think you said you were Adrian's brother anyway) and did some junior B52 sessions and watched a lot of their games.

when C4 lost the rights to Sky coincided with me realising I was the most hopeless player there was on the planet and I drifted away. Then when I moved to Asia all the games were on a Monday morning when i was at work and I finally lost interest.

Got back in to it this season massively and have watched pretty much all the early games as well as Bears highlights on the web. However, I quite want to go to a game in England now, rather than that being the spark that drew me back in.

Franchise would be a mistake IMO. I've only ever followed the Bears and I like the "foreign-ness" of the games - the accents and colloquialisms of the commentators, the fact you can move from a game played in -20C to one indoors or in Florida. A UK franchise would lose some of that for me.

Yeah, Adrian is my older brother, he sent me a Razorback jersey with his traditional #56 for Christmas :)
He doesn't know, but it's because of him I started following the NFL, I used to watch the highlights on Channel 4 as a kid hoping to see him, I had no idea if his career had progressed when he went to the States. I'd always enjoyed watching football but never really felt like I it was accessible, but since the International series has started football has started to consume me :lol: . Maybe it's because my interest is still in its infancy compared to you guys, but I'm finding lots of other people who ,like me, have really been captured by the NFL. I struggle to form an opinion on the idea of a franchise over here, it excites me but I'd hate for it to be a disaster, obviously the NFL are testing the longevity and popularity over here and they'll only move if they think it's viable, but I'd certainly go and watch a couple of games per season if we did get one.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Here's a question for you chaps. Have any of you noticed an increase in interest in the NFL in this country since the International Series started? Has there been a noticeable increase in people wearing merchandise (not generic Raiders gear from JD), are you finding more people that have taken an interest in the game? Is the profile of NFL on the rise, and do you see there being enough interest for a franchise over here?

Certainly more of an interest over the last few years IMO. Everywhere I go now I see team caps, beanies, jerseys etc. which I love to see. Even down the Albion I regularly see people wearing NFL stuff (yep, I wear mine every week too) The International Series has definitely helped push the game further in this country since it started in 2007, but I personally think there was still a huge following before they began, which provided a fantastic starting point for the league to build on.

The 80's & early 90's really brought the game direct into our homes with Ch4 highlights, and locally the B52s had a really big following (anyone else remember the 10,000 people crammed into Withdean Stadium to watch us play City College San Francisco?! - What a great day that was despite the score-line!) Right across the country were some really big clubs like the London Ravens & Olympians, Birmingham Bulls, Nottingham Hoods, Bournemouth Bobcats etc. Even though some of the Leagues scaled back / ceased to exist over time as costs of running such an expensive amateur sport rose significantly, I doubt all those people involved with those teams ever fell out of love with the game itself...I know I didn't, and a few of the old B52's I know still coach with the new generation at Sussex Thunder & Sussex Saxons (& of course Adrian over in Denmark with the Razorbacks!). I expect a lot have passed on their love for the sport to their kids too, myself included, & that can only be a good thing in helping the sport to continue growing in popularity over here, alongside the NFL's efforts with the International Series. My two boys cant wait to start playing for the Thunders Junior squad when they get to 14, and I will actively encourage them to give it a go after playing myself at their age with the B52s.

As for a franchise? Nah - I've said it hundreds of times, but they need to keep it National - not International. While its great supporting the game, and your own teams from afar, I just don't see how a London team would work tbh. They would be better off just carrying on with the 3 games a year to keep interest & demand high enough...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Looks like both the 49ers and the Eagles are interested in interviewing Tom Coughlin for Head Coach position. Giants owner John Mara is interested in keeping him in some kind of advisory role at the Giants. Don’t know where he will end up, but wish him well – definitely a class act and one of the good guys in NFL.

Jul 7, 2003
Here's a question for you chaps. Have any of you noticed an increase in interest in the NFL in this country since the International Series started? Has there been a noticeable increase in people wearing merchandise (not generic Raiders gear from JD), are you finding more people that have taken an interest in the game? Is the profile of NFL on the rise, and do you see there being enough interest for a franchise over here?

When I speak to colleagues in the states they are amazed at the level of interest here and also of the amount of games we get to watch each week via Sky. They are also very surprised at the knowledge people here have of the game. As well as the Sky games, I think it is the return of highlights to terrestrial TV also helps, not forgetting GamePass.

I remember the pre-internet days of waiting on a Monday for the Ceefax 'other sports' page to finally update the NFL score from the night before so it is much easier to get involved now. Reducing the GamePass pricing the last few years has also encouraged more people to follow their team - those Justin.tv streams were always frustrating but better than paying £25 a game as it used to be.

As for merchandise, my first Broncos shirt back in 1986 came from Burtons of all places. I still don't see much merchandise in the High Street shops - dodgy baseball caps excluded - but there are plenty of places you can now buy online. It's a shame the NFL Europe shop is so limited as I feel they are still missing a trick. The variety and quality of the merchandise is far better than most of the tat sold via the Albion and I have far more Broncos than Albion things.

Much as I love the Wembley games, I don't think we should have a UK franchise. Like others have said, I would go to see my own team play 'away' in London and might go to the odd game but NFL games are not cheap days out and I'm not sure they would get enough of a hardcore support for a full season.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just looking ahead to the Super Bowl I have for the first time got the Monday off work after the Super Bowl anyone go to or know of any good Super Bowl events that take place?!

I work on an office in London, and their is a good smattering of fans, we had a sweepstake on the Super Bowl from last Friday and two of them go out to the Draft every year and say Chicago is amazing compared to New York. The company has a box at Wembley so loads have now seen an International game.

If you are okay with London loads do the Super Bowl Bash and say its excellent at the Inigio but I am not sure they are doing this 2016. My age is starting to show and I often fall asleep by QTR 4 and have to watch the recording in the morning.

My favourite was Super Bowl 23 which I watched in a packed bar on a Beech in Mexico with that game winning drive - Montana to Rice, could handle that experience again. Same timezone and sunshine.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
NFL Owners have approved the St Louis Rams moving back to the LA area after two decades. And the Chargers could join them in a new stadium in Inglewood – and if they decline the option the Raiders could move there.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
This is my first visit to this thread as baseball is my game and not football.

But the news overnight that St Louis Rams are returning to LA is shocking to me,

I know it happens in baseball too (Montreal to Washington the most recent) but it is just something we Brits don't get isn't it?

And one of the Rams players tweets admonishes St Louis fans "Some of you kill me with your tweets. If you love the rams then it shouldn't matter where we play we are still #RAMILY here or there" Alec Ogletree.

Imagine The Albion announce they are moving to Aberystwyth and Gordon Greer tweets that we should still love The Seagulls wherever we play.

Totally alien concept. F... the fans. Take the money.

I do accept that there is no tradition of Rams football in St Louis, as the Rams moved from LA twenty odd years ago, after the city's original team moved to the desert, but no way could I seriously support a team that was here today gone tomorrow. Ridiculous.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is my first visit to this thread as baseball is my game and not football.

But the news overnight that St Louis Rams are returning to LA is shocking to me,

I know it happens in baseball too (Montreal to Washington the most recent) but it is just something we Brits don't get isn't it?

And one of the Rams players tweets admonishes St Louis fans "Some of you kill me with your tweets. If you love the rams then it shouldn't matter where we play we are still #RAMILY here or there" Alec Ogletree.

Imagine The Albion announce they are moving to Aberystwyth and Gordon Greer tweets that we should still love The Seagulls wherever we play.

Totally alien concept. F... the fans. Take the money.

I do accept that there is no tradition of Rams football in St Louis, as the Rams moved from LA twenty odd years ago, after the city's original team moved to the desert, but no way could I seriously support a team that was here today gone tomorrow. Ridiculous.

Hey Jacksonville fans, you're still in #Jagsfamily even though the team no longer plays on the same continent.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Hey Jacksonville fans, you're still in #Jagsfamily even though the team no longer plays on the same continent.

Suits me :)

The LA announcement has been immediately followed by rumours of another franchise shift, the St.Louis Jaguars, that's a double kickin the face, not only do you lose YOUR team but you might inherit another City's shower of shyte.

Last edited:

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016

Definitely more interest over the last few years. Personally joining an NFL fantasy league at work reignited my interest after several years. Sadly this hasn't coincided with the Bears achieving any sort of success!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
My favourite was Super Bowl 23 which I watched in a packed bar on a Beech in Mexico with that game winning drive - Montana to Rice, could handle that experience again. Same timezone and sunshine.

I was 8 years old and I cried. I so wanted The Bengals to win that game (always hated the Niners and love an underdog.)

My dad got me into the game after he watched the Raiders/ Redskins bowl in 1984 (was this the first one on UK TV?) The first one I remember is the Bears/ Partiots blowout (I was 5!) It wasn't too much longer until I was playing which I did for a long time before other stupid commitments got in the way.

We used to travel to support the B52's home and away (including the Playoff game against Granite City (Aberdeen!!)) Does anyone else remember the playoff game that was at the dog track?

My stepdad played for the B52's and latterly Crawley Raiders .

Like many of you are saying I lost the game when it first went to Sky, though I was back in time for The Steelers winning Superbowl XL.

I agree that the game is gaining in popularity here but it is nowhere near where it was in the mid to late eighties and early nineties. Until there is a half decent domestic product, there is only so far it can go imo.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Will the LA Rams play in the same division?

Or will there be a realignment?

The Rams are to stay in NFC West with 49ers, Cardinals, & Seahawks which I believe they were in 20 odd years ago the last time they were LA Rams anyway. Those matches will probably be much closer for them now.

As a Giants fan I certainly hope there's no change in division or fixture changes so I can see them play at Twickenham.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
The Rams are to stay in NFC West with 49ers, Cardinals, & Seahawks which I believe they were in 20 odd years ago the last time they were LA Rams anyway. Those matches will probably be much closer for them now.

As a Giants fan I certainly hope there's no change in division or fixture changes so I can see them play at Twickenham.
True. Makes sense.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Divisional weekend is upon us. For my money the best weekend in the football calendar. The wheat has been separated from the chaff at this point and we should get 4 high quality games. The depressing thought is there are only 3 games left until September after tomorrow night!

Personally I am hoping for Chiefs and Broncos to be victorious and Panthers and Cardinals to get the wins in the NFC. Seeing as every team I wanted to win last week lost, I'm not holding out much hope though!

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Divisional weekend is upon us. For my money the best weekend in the football calendar. The wheat has been separated from the chaff at this point and we should get 4 high quality games. The depressing thought is there are only 3 games left until September after tomorrow night!

Personally I am hoping for Chiefs and Broncos to be victorious and Panthers and Cardinals to get the wins in the NFC. Seeing as every team I wanted to win last week lost, I'm not holding out much hope though!

Love this weekend, would be better if D were there though!

Got to say your choice of winners seems to be the same as mine I think although would be happy for GB to beat the Cards

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Love this weekend, would be better if D were there though!

Got to say your choice of winners seems to be the same as mine I think although would be happy for GB to beat the Cards

I'd love to see a GB win too, mainly cos I'm a Panthers fan and think the Cards would be a tougher proposition. However, Seattle won't be easy and I fully expect us to get knocked out by them again in the playoffs, despite having home field advantage this time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd love to see a GB win too, mainly cos I'm a Panthers fan and think the Cards would be a tougher proposition. However, Seattle won't be easy and I fully expect us to get knocked out by them again in the playoffs, despite having home field advantage this time.

In order to see GB win, I'll be going to bed the same time as the kids tonight, so I can then get up at 1am.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here