Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we "doing a Boro"?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Feels a bit like it right now, doesn't it?

No poll because that's how I roll.

I said earlier in the season that there was a real risk we could do a Boro but was shouted down. So many similarities between our approach and theirs last season. Few wins by one goal first half of season, very defensive approach, poor strikeforce, very few goals scored. We need very good recruitment and a tactical rethink or we are down.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we do do a Boro and go down meekly I’m not sure I’ll be too fussed if we don’t come back up in a hurry. I quite like the Championship and if we can’t afford to even buy (or convince) one Premier quality striker we might as well stay in the Championship :shrug:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I would rather we were doing a Burnley than a Middlesborough. Up one year, relegated next, learn lessons and get promoted again - then get Premier League survival.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would rather we were doing a Burnley than a Middlesborough. Up one year, relegated next, learn lessons and get promoted again - then get Premier League survival.

Far easier said than done. In the vast majority of cases, teams stay down.

Far better to give CH the tools to stay part of the £100m gravy train.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Far better to give CH the tools to stay part of the £100m gravy train.

Seems that that is impossible, we’ll know in a couple of weeks if it is. He’s not go the full toolkit yet that’s for sure.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We are trying to do Premier League survival on the cheap and it doesn’t work.

Only 7 clubs had a bigger net transfer fee spend than Albion in the summer and it would have been even more if one of those striker deals had gone through . (None of which collapsed because we were being “cheap” - left it too late, unlucky, -take your pick - but not cheap - 3 clubs at least agreed massive fees)

And transfer fees only half the picture, the eye watering wage bill last year gobbles up most of the increased income as well as some lucrative new contracts on top of that . And Bloom will no doubt spend more in next fortnight.

We’re trying to do survival like many “small” clubs. With an established manager, a lot of your promoted players, and a few expensive additions (but no striker - yet).

That doesn’t always work. We all know that. And today I started to think for first time that relegation is a real possibility . What a grim afternoon - I hate bloody clackers AND drums even more - but “cheap” - nah.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Only 7 clubs had a bigger net transfer fee spend than Albion in the summer and it would have been even more if one of those striker deals had gone through . (None of which collapsed because we were being “cheap” - left it too late, unlucky, -take your pick - but not cheap - 3 clubs at least agreed massive fees)

And transfer fees only half the picture, the eye watering wage bill last year gobbles up most of the increased income as well as some lucrative new contracts on top of that . And Bloom will no doubt spend more in next fortnight.

We’re trying to do survival like many “small” clubs. With an established manager, a lot of your promoted players, and a few expensive additions (but no striker - yet).

That doesn’t always work. We all know that. And today I started to think for first time that relegation is a real possibility . What a grim afternoon - I hate bloody clackers AND drums even more - but “cheap” - nah.

That is the most depressing post I have ever read from you. I need a drink but it is dry January

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
That is the most depressing post I have ever read from you. I need a drink but it is dry January

Go on -have a drink; after today, I think we can all excuse you. Yes, I too for the first time wonder about us going down, having posted here on many an occasion, that on balance we would stay up. Obviously it depends to a larger extent on what happens in the next two weeks, and I can't believe that TB will let it all go to ruin after some much financial struggle on his part, but who knows - perhaps his brinkmanship with regard to getting the best deal, however understandable to an extent, will rebound on him again, as it did in August.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

But most of those clubs already had established Premier League squads. Those promoted have to spend big to catch up and we didn’t.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But most of those clubs already had established Premier League squads. Those promoted have to spend big to catch up and we didn’t.

Good news then. Because that means Newcastle and Hudds are doomed because according to this rather bizarre way of judging things, they spent less on net transfer fees than us as well . And if we assume Swansea are down - they made a net transfer profit - , we’re laughing and this afternoons car crash can be quickly forgotten :)

Bloom not willing to cough up is an odd way of framing the season but fair enough if that’s your beef !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good news then. Because that means Newcastle and Hudds are doomed because according to this rather bizarre way of judging things, they spent less on net transfer fees than us as well . And if we assume Swansea are down - they made a net transfer profit - , we’re laughing and this afternoons car crash can be quickly forgotten :)

Bloom not willing to cough up is an odd way of framing the season but fair enough if that’s your beef !

"Net spend" isn't a healthy way to look at it IMO.

Our record signing has had two good games all season. The left back we spent all summer chasing can't hold down a regular spot (though Christ knows why). In fact the best piece of business we did was our first bit, price and value wise. Groß can't be relied on to keep us up but (IMO again) represents far better value than Izquierdo and Ryan. Meanwhile up front we have a walking calf injury and two other guys who might as well be walking, so little are they endowed in the pace department. And that's before wages.

I don't think net spend - or gross spend - or even Groß spend - should be an indicator of transfer window success or the team's likely survival. It's clear that with some very tough home games to come we are short in attack, our CMs are knackered having played virtually every minute and our much vaunted defence can't stop corners. That's not a good window.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Hughton has made some questionable calls this year, but has been let down in a major way by transfer policy.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
"Net spend" isn't a healthy way to look at it IMO.

Our record signing has had two good games all season. The left back we spent all summer chasing can't hold down a regular spot (though Christ knows why). In fact the best piece of business we did was our first bit, price and value wise. Groß can't be relied on to keep us up but (IMO again) represents far better value than Izquierdo and Ryan. Meanwhile up front we have a walking calf injury and two other guys who might as well be walking, so little are they endowed in the pace department. And that's before wages.

I don't think net spend - or gross spend - or even Groß spend - should be an indicator of transfer window success or the team's likely survival. It's clear that with some very tough home games to come we are short in attack, our CMs are knackered having played virtually every minute and our much vaunted defence can't stop corners. That's not a good window.

Exactly. It’s crazy to use it as the yardstick.
And yes . We need 3-4 signings. I trust we will get em and don’t care what the fees are.
Ps: Murray put in a real shift today. And Baldock was lively in last 20 mins. But blimey it was bleak stuff.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
And yes . We need 3-4 signings. I trust we will get em and don’t care what the fees are.
Ps: Murray put in a real shift today. And Baldock was lively in last 20 mins. But blimey it was bleak stuff.

This :thumbsup:
Apart from Huddersfield and ourselves, the rest of the teams are hardened PL savvy.
So they know how to fight for survival, we on the other hand are learning and will have to step the education up a bit quicker.
We'll be okay, but I feel we are going to have to fight, right down to the last fixture IMO

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
We are dropping points for two clear reasons:

1. How we are defending corners.

2. Inability to score enough goals on the break where pace is needed due to slow players like Murray, Groß & Hemed.

I trust CH and the club to have this fully resolved by February.

This (points 1 and 2).
We put so much emphasis on defending so I really don't get how we manage to concede more than any other club from set pieces. They obviously practice them.
AND because we place such a big emphasis on defence, then how are we meant to counter attack effectively when we usually only have two pacey attacking players (the wingers).

I'm not entirely convinced by the "fully resolved" bit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Those signings are tough too. We really need a striker with pace. In today's market that's, what £25 mill before you start? Do we upgrade on Duffy or give Goldson a shot? How many more wingers can we buy? Who could have foreseen injuries to Kayal and Sidwell at the same time and are they better than what we have anyway?

I'm genuinely glad to see Baldock back. Murray puts in a shift in most games. He can be a moody git but when he's up for it he's properly nasty and totally indefatigable, if perhaps with the limitation that it's all in slow motion. I honestly think if we were in the Championship now we'd be there or there abouts with Wolves with this squad and Cardiff and Derby would already be booking Wembley hotels. It just goes to show the gulf in class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here