Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I think Europeans working here should be aloud to stay but should labour say it now and sell our nationals living abroad in Europe down the tube.

Absolutely, it's the right thing to do - Some numbnuts on here will have you believe that somehow negotiation is like a game of poker and that 'showing your hand' is tantamount to throwing in the towel. Doing this would be quite the opposite, it would be a positive gesture and one that would likely to be well received and therefore aid future negotiation. It's embarrassing that it hasn't already been done.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Absolutely, it's the right thing to do - Some numbnuts on here will have you believe that somehow negotiation is like a game of poker and that 'showing your hand' is tantamount to throwing in the towel. Doing this would be quite the opposite, it would be a positive gesture and one that would likely to be well received and therefore aid future negotiation. It's embarrassing that it hasn't already been done.

I'm sure it would be well received, I don't believe for one minute that it will aid future negotiations.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
It 'may' be a sensible idea to ban the burka and if you read Dr Hargey's arguments (it's quite interesting actually), he talks about the historical and cultural reasons that some choose to where the burka, indeed he argues that it is nothing to do with Islam. While other muslims will, undoubtably, disagree with him, I've no problem with a considered argument like that. The driver behind UKIP's policy is far less sophisticated, it's a clearly anti islamic policy designed to appeal directly to their blame everything on foreigners and muslims mantra.

I never made the post you are responding to, however there is evidently a nuanced view on the burka within the Muslim community.

That said, your assessment on the motives of this UKIP policy is more interesting. Their proposal is already a matter of law in other European countries and regions, it is a policy advocated by Merkel.

Bemoaning UKIP as anti Islamic completely misses this point.........your prejudice is astounding.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I never made the post you are responding to, however there is evidently a nuanced view on the burka within the Muslim community.

That said, your assessment on the motives of this UKIP policy is more interesting. Their proposal is already a matter of law in other European countries and regions, it is a policy advocated by Merkel.

Bemoaning UKIP as anti Islamic completely misses this point.........your prejudice is astounding.

You have me quoting what MikeyJ actually posted, it was not me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Labour going all out for the Leave vote by saying that cutting immigration will not be a priority of a Labour Government

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/option-to-stay-in-reformed-customs-union-should-be-part-of-brexit-negotiations-35651374.html
Ah yes, Remain supporting politician. warmly ensconced in the Westminster Bubble talks about a reformed customs union.

Reform and EU in the same sentence? Hmmmm.........file alongside dragons, the tooth fairy and the Loch Ness Monster. That's why we're leaving the EU - it's amazing that so many supposedly intelligent politicians are just unable to see that.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Like many others, I'm seriously unsure this time. I find May to be quite odious to be honest, and Corbyn has done his utmost to shoot himself in the foot already, and we're not even a week into the election announcement.

Furthermore, I live in a Tory safe seat mind, so it really does make little difference what I vote. I suspect there will be a lot of no voters this time, and I suspect that'll be largely down to the fact many don't want to vote for May and can't see a better alternative.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am always bemused by the assumption that those that voted Brexit wanted Europeans or any others, to not be allowed to stay. Controlling and managing immigration now and in the future was a key factor though.

Exactly.

The government and politicians across all parties who support Brexit, have given absolutely no indication that EU workers in the U.K. will have to depart.

This is simply a scare tactic from remoaners that EU nurses and doctors, will be forced to leave. They underestimate the vast majority of the public who can see through the lie.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's even simpler, you can probably remove the 'Are you rich?', it all comes down to whether you care about the less fortunate. Got bollocked at work in my younger days for the statement that if you vote tory you're either selfish, or stupid, still stands true today though.
It's amazing that educated people (I'm assuming you're educated) can be so stupid.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Exactly.

The government and politicians across all parties who support Brexit, have given absolutely no indication that EU workers in the U.K. will have to depart.

This is simply a scare tactic from remoaners that EU nurses and doctors, will be forced to leave. They underestimate the vast majority of the public who can see through the lie.

But we seem not to be too keen to accept their applications for full UK status, and Mrs May has ruled out confirming their post Brexit status to date.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/25/home-office-urging-eu-nationals-not-apply-permanent-residence/

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But we seem not to be too keen to accept their applications for full UK status, and Mrs May has ruled out confirming their post Brexit status to date.

[URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/25/home]
Daily Telegraph prints misleading (and loaded) headline......hold the front page!

The article goes on to say:
Guidance posted on the Home Office website urges people not to apply and to instead sign up to receive an email alert which will inform them of any changes to their circumstances. The guidance states: “You do not need to do anything as a result of Article 50 being triggered.
There will be no change to the rights and status of EU nationals living in the UK while the UK remains in the EU"

This is in response to 92000 EU nationals who have sadly swallowed Project Fear hook line and sinker and have rushed in panic to apply for full UK status, thus swamping the system. The Home Office is offering to let them know in advance if there is likely to be a problem for them remaining in the UK (which will only happen if the EU decides not to act reasonably in the forthcoming negotiations).

Last edited:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

[URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/25/home
Daily Telegraph prints misleading (and loaded) headline......hold the front page!

The article goes on to say:
Guidance posted on the Home Office website urges people not to apply and to instead sign up to receive an email alert which will inform them of any changes to their circumstances. The guidance states: “You do not need to do anything as a result of Article 50 being triggered.
There will be no change to the rights and status of EU nationals living in the UK while the UK remains in the EU"

This is in response to 92000 EU nationals who have sadly swallowed Project Fear hook line and sinker and have rushed in panic to apply for full UK status, thus swamping the system. The Home Office is offering to let them know in advance if there is likely to be a problem for them remaining in the UK (which will only happen if the EU decides not to act reasonably in the forthcoming negotiations).

Yet we are still getting the scaremongering from the easily taken in, on this forum.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well this is gonna be the most interesting election for a very, very long time. I am naturally Tory, after supporting Smith, Kinnock and Blair first time around. I am also a 'remainer'.

Voting for Jezza would really stick in my throat, the man is a stupid ideologist. But his party is offering some common sense on Brexit. Allowing EU nationals to stay, allowing those with job offers to join us, and aiming to create some kind of customs treaty with the EU. I believe the referendum decision should be respected but to what degree? As a committed Tory I am very undecided right now........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here