Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warning - Do Not Eat At This Restaurant

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
GRIPE OF THE DAY AND A WARNING TO ALL NOT TO EAT IN THIS RESTAURANT.

I was in Brighton last week with all of my family to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary. We planned to have a meal for 10 people and naturally wanted to get somewhere nice and also convenient to other people who would be coming on the day so on the Sunday we decided to try a restaurant called “The Plaza Brasserie” on Kings Road and booked for 10 people.

This had to be the biggest mistake that we have ever made. After waiting for about 30 minutes for the starters to arrive – four of them came out and we were left waiting for a further 15 minutes before some of the other ones arrived – despite asking three different people one of which was the owner. One of the party ordered soup which we were told was carrot and coriander but when it arrived it was literally a tin of chopped tomatoes thrown into a bowl with a bit of fresh coriander thrown in for good measure.

We were again left waiting for the main courses to come out and the steaks that were ordered well done came out raw and again had to be sent back. They were returned literally within a couple of minutes and had without doubt just been chucked into the microwave to finish them off.

Onto the next course and while the desserts came out we were left with no cutlery and again had to ask two people the second of which brought it over to us.

When paying the bill (which I might add was not particularly cheap) I told the waitress who had been serving us that I was not happy with the meal and wanted some form of reduction in the bill. She said I would have to see the owner who was not there at the moment but would be back shortly. Eventually after being ignored for a good half hour (and with the owner standing by the till) I went up myself and argued my case with her and her sidekick who was behind the counter.

I have never come across such an ignorant person and how she could possibly be still in business is beyond me. In the middle of talking to me she suddenly went off to deal with new customers who were coming in the door. I was gobsmacked to say the least and asked the guy behind the counter did she just walk off while I was in the middle of talking to her. He replied that she had gone to see to customers. I replied that I was also a customer and had been in the middle of talking to her.

To finish off the stupid cow reluctantly deducted £10 off the bill which while I was not particularly happy with decided that it was better to take that and get out of the place to concentrate on trying to find a decent restaurant for our anniversary on the Tuesday.

The whole meal had taken over 5 hours. We arrived at 2.00 and left well after 7.00 p.m. and most of that time was spent either waiting for the food to arrive, for cutlery to be brought out to us or disputing the service and the bill with the owner.

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

On the way out there was a couple looking at the outside menu and I took great pleasure in telling them not to go in and the reason why. They were extremely grateful and headed off into the night to look for somewhere else.

On a more positive note we had our anniversary meal at the Badgers Watch in Telscombe Cliffs and I cannot rate this place highly enough. The staff were extremely nice, the food was fabulous and the final bill was quite reasonable. All in all our anniversary was perfect. I am only too happy that we had a trial run on the Sunday though.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The Badger's Watch is good, the smell of raw sewage can be a bit off putting at times though. Golden Galleon (same company) in Exceat (just East of Seaford before you go over the Cuckmere) is very nice as well.

Thanks for the warning Shegull, I'll steer clear of The Plaza Brasserie.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Kitchen nightmare!

ramseyb.jpg

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
My sympathies, that sounds a very bad experience on a family occasion and I wouldn't have been happy.

We do have a massive problem with restaurant service in this country, it just seems to be one of those jobs that a lot of people do very reluctantly. And it often isn't the same abroad, where it is more considered just a job that you can do well or badly, like any other.

Also, the smarter waiters/waitresses, particularly in area where there is a bit of money, soon realise that you get much more pay in tips if you make a bit of an effort, so it's in their own financial interest.

It's very hard to believe that guy was actually the owner - but if it was, he probably won't be in business for too long. It's a fine line, but given the occasion, what you were being charged, the service, and the problems with the food, I wouldn't have paid at all and left my details.

Which does raise an interesting point. Because if you paid £25 to sit in the pouring rain in the south stand at Withdean, and tha game finished 0-0 with not a moment to remember or a pass to a team-mate, you'd get nowt back. Hang on a moment, I think I saw that game...

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I went to the Indian Cottage, Shoreham High St with the missus on Saturday.
Had the lamb chicken & prawn dupiaza (yes, it was all in one) and a bottle of the house white, followed by a Calypso coffee. All very pleasant.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Had the lamb chicken & prawn dupiaza (yes, it was all in one) and a bottle of the house white, followed by a Calypso coffee. All very pleasant.

I too have enjoyed that Restaurant. Very nice.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Brighton restaurant service - especially at places on the seafront - is just SO shit it's unbelievable. Thanks for the tip-off.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I too have enjoyed that Restaurant. Very nice.

The one downside was bashing my head on the doorframe on my way in. Quite sore for a few minutes, and I vowed to be more careful on my way out.

I then bashed it on the way out.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can I suggest that you look on the web for Brighton restaurant guides where patrons (I love that word) can leave feedback?

Thanks for the tip (excuse the pun) by the way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Now that is just plain clumsy:lolol::lolol:

In my defence, I was distracted by saying "thanks very much, bye" over my shoulder to the waiter just as I was on my way out the door. Then I turned back and D'OH.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

It is rather a fine eatery.

I was there on Friday, the chicken tikka kahdari was again fine.

Also I got a Christmas Card from the owner (at Christmas).

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
not that any of you would EVER decide to travel up this way for a Harvester but never go to the Dumbell in Taplow. We went while my other half was pregnant and firstly we were warned that there had been complaints over 2 dishes so not to order them. Then we had starters, those who had prawns fornd theywere still not defrosted. main course took 75 minutes to arrive and constsed of undercooked steak and the egg on my other halfs plate was barely cooked, we complained and didn't pay for the meal or drinks which for the group of 4 of us was around £100. There were other issues but can't be bothered to write them all

D

Deleted User X18H

If you fools will go in to these places which are designed to rip off cockerneys and non Brightonians in general ,you deserve everything you get quite honestly. Remember in life you get what you pay for, in future try either Terre a Terre , The Terraces, The Strand or if in Hove, Los Amigos

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Avoid the Star inn in Normans Bay - especially the house speciality, Pooh pooh in wee wee sauce and thinny sliced scabby dogs arse - disgusting

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here