Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City sell out !!!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm also going to add my name to the "if I didn't have a season ticket, I couldn't afford to go to the game" brigade.

It's good that loyalty is rewarded in this way, but it's not good to price people out of attending the matches. I am in favour of the no ticket for no purchase history rule though, we all know we need the bandwagoners but throwing a bit of dirt in their eye isn't the end of the world.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
It doesn't feel that long ago that I stood in the Goldstone North Stand for £7. It's staggering to see that kids ticket cost four times more than I paid as an adult.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
The only trouble is that it was a long time ago, and the football model has been reinvented in the intervening years. It's no longer acceptable to charge a low price and cram as many people as possible into cramped and dangerous dump stadiums. You build a comfortable, safe and impressive stadium like The Amex and then you can charge a premium price. Palace buck the trend here by charging the high prices but subjecting their fans to a dump like Selhurst,

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One thing people in the club have stated is that they wish the ticket system they use doesn't allow for single seats to be left. In other words, you can only buy seats next to - rather than next-to-but-one - an already sold seat.

Circumstances would dictate it's impossible to fulfill every time, but doing it that way would reduce 89 down to... well, a lot less.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
The only trouble is that it was a long time ago, and the football model has been reinvented in the intervening years. It's no longer acceptable to charge a low price and cram as many people as possible into cramped and dangerous dump stadiums. You build a comfortable, safe and impressive stadium like The Amex and then you can charge a premium price. Palace buck the trend here by charging the high prices but subjecting their fans to a dump like Selhurst,

If this was a reply to my post (which I think it was) then yes, I fully understand that and agree with your point, but as an exile who hasn't been to a live game for years (including the Amex) :cry: it is still rather sobering.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This. I wouldn't pay it and feel uneasy about it, despite having a ST.

But this is very simple supply & demand, price controlled economics.

There are a finite number of available tickets [scarce resource], so the price for this is controlled by demand aka demand dictates the price. If the capacity is 30k and 31k want a ticket, price will be high.
If it were truly overpriced, they'd be 100's nay 1,000's of unsold tickets and the price would be adjusted down according to the appetite the club had for filling up the stadium.

We see this everywhere where the capacity is finite and the event popular - music concerts [how much was a Glastonbury ticket?] Cricket finals at Lords, golf open championships, Wimbledon - all hideously expensive, but they still sell out ....

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
One thing people in the club have stated is that they wish the ticket system they use doesn't allow for single seats to be left. In other words, you can only buy seats next to - rather than next-to-but-one - an already sold seat.

Circumstances would dictate it's impossible to fulfill every time, but doing it that way would reduce 89 down to... well, a lot less.

Many of the single seats left are in the family area, where you have to be accompanied by a junior. Am I missing something, or can those only be filled by a junior not sitting with their accompanying adult? If so, i can't see them being sold, unless the xchange kicks in and creates some more pairs adjacent to them.

PG

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But it's not simple supply and demand, is it? - not if what has been said on here earlier about the club refusing to sell tickets to people who haven't got a record of previous attendance is true.

That's more to do with preventing Citeh fans buying tickets in the home end.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But this is very simple supply & demand, price controlled economics.

There are a finite number of available tickets [scarce resource], so the price for this is controlled by demand aka demand dictates the price. If the capacity is 30k and 31k want a ticket, price will be high.
If it were truly overpriced, they'd be 100's nay 1,000's of unsold tickets and the price would be adjusted down according to the appetite the club had for filling up the stadium.

We see this everywhere where the capacity is finite and the event popular - music concerts [how much was a Glastonbury ticket?] Cricket finals at Lords, golf open championships, Wimbledon - all hideously expensive, but they still sell out ....

I hate it, absolutely HATE IT when it's justified like this. There's a bloomin' economics professeur on this thread who's said it's expensive, for a start. But more importantly, it ignores the long term effect of this pricing in turning off both long term and potential future fans. Plus if they do get the ticket exchange working properly I expect there will be 1000s of tickets going spare.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I hate it, absolutely HATE IT when it's justified like this. There's a bloomin' economics professeur on this thread who's said it's expensive, for a start. But more importantly, it ignores the long term effect of this pricing in turning off both long term and potential future fans. Plus if they do get the ticket exchange working properly I expect there will be 1000s of tickets going spare.

The ticket exchange worked very well for the Bristol game, because we were away, and gave the club our tickets. It was a sellout and we got the vouchers for the club shop.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
They could have announced this as a sell-out last week. Since then they have reduced segregation to squeeze as many people in as possible and some family area tickets have been appearing due to those held not being taken up. Strange thread creation about a non-sellout and lots of discussion about ticket prices when all the seats remaining are:

- Wheelchair users
- Singles in family area (i.e. you have to take a child but can't sit with them)

They will probably release these to everybody early next week and potentially launch the exchange.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
But it's not simple supply and demand, is it? - not if what has been said on here earlier about the club refusing to sell tickets to people who haven't got a record of previous attendance is true.

Too right !
I'll be in Brighton for this match.
Been to The Amex quite a number of times over the years but have no recollection of ever being issued with any "Fan Number".
So, unable to Log-In as a returning customer and can't apply as a "New Client " either as the system appears to be UK specific and won't recognise my Australian address.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's more to do with preventing Citeh fans buying tickets in the home end.
80 odd City fans, sitting in single seats, surrounded by thousands of Albion fans. Bearing in mind that these days a vast majority of fans these days are quite capable of behaving if sitting with opposing fans (I do it at away matches - just sit on my hands when we score, applaud politely if they do) why would it be a problem? If one or two want to cause trouble (unlikely when they're completely isolated) I'm sure the stewards can deal with them.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Too right !
I'll be in Brighton for this match.
Been to The Amex quite a number of times over the years but have no recollection of ever being issued with any "Fan Number".
So, unable to Log-In as a returning customer and can't apply as a "New Client " either as the system appears to be UK specific and won't recognise my Australian address.

Do you arrive back in the UK in time to visit the ticket office? Is there a family address in the UK that you can use instead?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I find that quite a poor state of affairs, that you cant phone up for a ticket if you have never purchased before.

Have you watched Brighton at the Amex before? Errr No, sorry then you are not welcome !!!!!!

I think this is standard practice to maintain segregation, other wise anyone could phone and get tickets for the home sections. Your point that you would not be welcome, is rather unfair.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here