Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The band in the bandstand thing

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
For the first time in ages I got there early on Monday so hung around outside for a while. I don't know whether it was just that choice of the band but it was a bit shabby and ignored. Is this always the case now? Lots of people milling around but the band was kind of pointless and irrelevant.

Can we get the Salvation Army up there for the Birstol City game playing relevant tunes likes:

GOSBTS
MOTD
Great Escape
Sweet Caroline
Etc

That would be awesome.

Last edited:

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
It's always a different band at each game.

To be honest, the atmosphere was so good anyway you could've had Hitler up there in a pink tutu singing 'She'll be coming round the mountain' and it wouldn't have made any difference.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Definitely was a weak choice of band on Monday. No offence to the young lads involved as they clearly will be very good with more experience.

There is obviously a financial issue but for the Bristol City game they MUST push the boat out with an unprecedentedly good bandstand gig. Needs to go on quite a bit longer for one thing as most people miss it.

The band that did Madness, Specials etc a couple of months ago were excellent.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
For the first time in ages I got there early on Saturday so hung around outside for a while. I don't know whether it was just that choice of the band but it was a bit shabby and ignored. Is this always the case now? Lots of people milling around but the band was kind of pointless and irrelevant.

Can we get the Salvation Army up there for the Birstol City game playing relevant tunes likes:

GOSBTS
MOTD
Great Escape
Sweet Caroline
Etc

That would be awesome.

No wonder the atomsphere wasn't any good at the bandstand, you were 2 days early. :D

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Fat boy slim should do a set!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I liked the Steel Drum Band, they get things going a bit, but yes this is the opportunity to get someone half decent in.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unfortunately the bandstand set up is not conducive to a good sound. With no back wall the wind just flies through and would make almost every band sound pretty tinny and weedy.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Definitely was a weak choice of band on Monday. No offence to the young lads involved as they clearly will be very good with more experience.

There is obviously a financial issue but for the Bristol City game they MUST push the boat out with an unprecedentedly good bandstand gig. Needs to go on quite a bit longer for one thing as most people miss it.

The band that did Madness, Specials etc a couple of months ago were excellent.

Talking of pushing the boat out for Monday, I would imagine that the pre match pitch entertainment will be good, great even!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
For the first time in ages I got there early on Saturday so hung around outside for a while. I don't know whether it was just that choice of the band but it was a bit shabby and ignored. Is this always the case now? Lots of people milling around but the band was kind of pointless and irrelevant.

GOSBTS
MOTD
Great Escape
Sweet Caroline
Etc

That would be awesome.

The Salvation Army!!! Afraid that would make me walk round the other way.

Loud rock is what needed (that or the Madness impersonators).

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Unfortunately the bandstand set up is not conducive to a good sound. With no back wall the wind just flies through and would make almost every band sound pretty tinny and weedy.

I'm sure you did your best Mello.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's always a different band at each game.

To be honest, the atmosphere was so good anyway you could've had Hitler up there in a pink tutu singing 'She'll be coming round the mountain' and it wouldn't have made any difference.

Hitler wearing a pink tutu!, sorry l can't get that picture out of my mind now. To be fair we have had a few good bands perform this season, The Gangsters, and Dumbwaiters, amongst them.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

No slight on the band itself but the set up is a bit tinpot now and needs a roof as you say. I assume the other one blew off? Hence my suggestion for an instrumental band rather than a vocalist.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, even Mellotron's hero would have struggled to sound good on the bandstand.

RIP David Jones.

He'd still sound good singing through a broken walkie talkie with helium breath and a heavy cold.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here