Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shelvey & Dummett's red cards overturned

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Again, not wanting to go over old ground but I respectfully disagree. How else are you meant to 'play' a ball 4 feet in the air in the game of football without 'raising a boot' which obviously had studs on. Wait for it to come down? Not the game of football if you did.

We all know why it wasn't rescinded really - admitting an error that big, in a game that big, would have left them red faced.

And open to all sorts of legal challenges.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Did we not try and appeal Murphy last season too when he clearly slipped and tripped a player up? Not overturned but Shelvey's is? **** off, talk about backing th big clubs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Again, not wanting to go over old ground but I respectfully disagree. How else are you meant to 'play' a ball 4 feet in the air in the game of football without 'raising a boot' which obviously had studs on. Wait for it to come down? Not the game of football if you did.

We all know why it wasn't rescinded really - admitting an error that big, in a game that big, would have left them red faced.

It wasn't 4 feet up as Stephen's boot was never higher than waist height. Ramirez was injured when his shin came under Stephen's boot in any case.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It wasn't 4 feet up as Stephen's boot was never higher than waist height. Ramirez was injured when his shin came under Stephen's boot in any case.

Lets not forget Barton wasnt even retrospectively punished for his stamp on Beram either...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Genuine question for yourself and others as maybe I missed something. The Dummett one - he was last man, didn't touch the ball and his knee made clear contact with Lansbury's leg from behind?

I believe he would have got it rescinded because being the last man/denying a goal scoring opportunity is no longer a red card inside the box unless it is serious foul play (or hand ball on line) which it 100 percent wasn't.

Brought in this season, which is actually a very good rule change for once.

I could have just made that up completely.... but that would explain it

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I believe he would have got it rescinded because being the last man/denying a goal scoring opportunity is no long a red card inside the box unless it is serious foul play (or hand ball on line) which it 100 percent wasn't.

Brought in this season, which is actually a very good rule change for once.

I could have just made that up completely.... but that would explain it

This. It's no longer an automatic red card if a pen is awarded. There was contact but Lansbury played for that by stopping dead and waiting for the contact to go over. Shelvey? Both off or neither for me, they were both kicking out at each other. Still if nothing else it stopped the media describing it as a one horse race for a couple of weeks...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I believe he would have got it rescinded because being the last man/denying a goal scoring opportunity is no longer a red card inside the box unless it is serious foul play (or hand ball on line) which it 100 percent wasn't.
Incorrect. It is not a red card if the referee believes a genuine attempt to play the ball was made. Pushing and pulling can still be punishable with a red. That is a long way from serious foul play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Fair enough- I assumed serious foul play was under the same as no attempt to play the ball.

Either way that was not a red.
From the FA

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:
The offence is holding, pulling or pushing or
The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or
The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)
In all the above circumstances the player is sent off.
Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...12---fouls-and-misconduct#f4RAQ52Ac3g903Uc.99

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
From the FA

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:
The offence is holding, pulling or pushing or
The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or
The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)
In all the above circumstances the player is sent off.
Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...12---fouls-and-misconduct#f4RAQ52Ac3g903Uc.99

players committing accidental fouls that deny goal-scoring opportunities in the penalty area will not be automatically sent off, with a yellow card sufficient punishment.

I think you can say it was an accident

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here