Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyppia offered to resign on Monday...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A massive failing in a game where the opposition were guaranteed to come flying out of the traps and keeping it tight for the first 20 minutes was key.
What is the word on the street [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]? Anything coming out the club about the managerial position?

It would seem an opportune moment to change managers right now, we've got a series of easier looking games coming up for the new bloke to assess things before the January jumble sale begins. In the mean time, I'd like to think that the manager has been asked to explain what he believes is going wrong, and is getting some sort of help to put things right.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
A massive failing in a game where the opposition were guaranteed to come flying out of the traps and keeping it tight for the first 20 minutes was key.

In today's Independent "for 70 minutes Brighton defended like a team fighting for their lives. Unfortunately, for the first 20 minutes they defended like a pub team". Don't think I've ever read anything as embarrassing as that about a Championship club in a quality national.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I know nothing of this thread but just want to pass on what I saw from less than 20 feet away yesterday at the game.

I was visiting a Derby supporting client who has seats in their Premier section - which amounts to a padded seat and carpeted floor area immediately adjacent to the director's box at the iPro.

TB was of course in attendance and sitting next to him was PB. They emerged from the director's lounge five minutes prior to kick off of the second and were seen by me from close proximity exchanging very frank views on what can only be assumed as to the nature of our performance in the first half, and at the final whistle did not remain to watch the team off etc but just turned and disappeared into the bowels of the stadium. Both had faces of thunder.

The other interesting thing of note from my vantage point was how animated Hyppia was. He vehemently reprimanded the fourth official a number of times and with each misplaced pass, not one free kick or some such other foul up patrolled his box swearing in his native tongue.

He did not cut the air of someone fearing for his job.

I genuinely think he knows he's here for the long haul and will stubbornly do things his way with a clear mandate to keep doing so from on high. I do not think he will be sacked, nor do I think he offered to resign.

Sad times indeed.

As for the fans they were non existent in what was another impressive home atmosphere from the Derby faithful.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As for the fans they were non existent in what was another impressive home atmosphere from the Derby faithful.

I'd agree with you entirely in relation to the noise from the Derby 'end'. Very noisy, and as much as I'm not a drum fan, it did help coordinate some of the songs and enthusiasm. Scoring 3 goals in the first 20 minutes certainly helps the throat muscles, but they were as loud as I have heard for a long time.

Our fans were subdued, but, we had nothing to get excited about from the kick off. Even before County scored it was one way traffic.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I'd agree with you entirely in relation to the noise from the Derby 'end'. Very noisy, and as much as I'm not a drum fan, it did help coordinate some of the songs and enthusiasm. Scoring 3 goals in the first 20 minutes certainly helps the throat muscles, but they were as loud as I have heard for a long time.

Our fans were subdued, but, we had nothing to get excited about from the kick off. Even before County scored it was one way traffic.

As much as it pains me to say it, and I've never been a real fan, a drum does seem to make fans make more impressive noise. I was at Man City v Bayern and the Germans were very noisey and co-ordinated because of the drummer. Time to give it a go?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The message I received said that he offered to resign on Sunday and that the offer was refused.Other than that I know no more or no less than anyone else. The person that told also told me the reason some of our players were arrested on returning from Wrexham a couple of years back, including details not common knowledge until the court case, within a few days of it happening. He has never, unfortunately , told me anything about the shit in the Palace dressing room.

That's narrowed the candidate down!

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
If Hyypia is still in charge in January then it'll all end in tears.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
And whilst TB is obviously a wealthy man and has done much for our club he's not a bottomless pit, he's no Warren Buffet or Bill Gates. Sami's managerial ineptitude will take the club down to League 1, but what are the financial implications of that to a club with huge debts and a limited benefactor? could Sami take Bloom down with him?

#BINtheFIN

You have heard of Star Lizard?

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
I dreamt last night that Hyypia got the boot and was replaced with immediate effect by Graeme Souness - no idea where that thought came from!

I remember being genuinely pleased by this but I think I would have been pleased with pretty much anyone else to be fair :thumbsup:

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Sami's still here because he is is unsackable. We've had two managers walk away in never really explained circumstances. Tb and PB ned to prove to prospective managers that everything is fine at the the Albion, and the only way they can do that is by proving that they don't sack people, even if they screw up. Oddly then Sami's position actually gets stronger the more likely we are to get relegated. So we're stuck with the lummox and we might well go down.

My only hope is that most of my predictions turn out to be wrong. Here's hoping.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
...A company whose fortunes rely on the knowledge and use of shed loads of stats, probability and incredibly marginal odds. Hence why Sami was appointed/is still here?
Hence why a relatively unknown quantity in Oscar was shortlisted for a second tier english football club.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
The real trouble I see with this is the longer this inevitable sacking is dragged on the less and less attractive a proposition we'll become for any prospective manager.

Whilst there's still at the moment a real chance of avoiding relegation there will surely be interest from some of the names banded about on here in recent weeks but fast forward a few months from now, still in the bottom three probably further from safety and we may actually struggle to attract a 'quality' appointment as nobody will want to risk going down.

This really concerns me.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

Absolutely. Seemed so blinking obvious to everyone - aside from the manager. Nothing wrong with making a leftfield choice and baffling the herd. If you get it right.

The Derby match again cruelly exposed Hyppia's motivational weakness. We all knew they would steam into us from the start. We needed discipline and a bullish attitude to counter this. Instead we fell to pieces.

But if anything the Fulham display was the sternest example of his tactical frailty. It was clear Fulham didn't enjoy our high tempo start. They do have some decent ball players who enjoy the methodical build up, so you increase the pace and cut down their space. We score a goal and what next? We sit back, falling deeper and deeper, slow the pace, give them the ball and let them pick the passes for victory. One of the most depressingly predictable collapses a I've seen in many a year.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Why is he still here. Can some1 plse tell me why he is still here.
im missing something, i must be. Ive looked at the league table, ive looked at our results this season 1 win in 13. Im a season ticket holder and everh game i go to it gets worse and worse.
so can some1 plse tell me what i am missing because from where im sitting, it just doesnt add up.

and no, there is no chance he offord to quit. Because if tony bloom said no , then we need to take him to the nearest mental health hospital. Because he's lost his mind..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here