Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weird conversations heard in public

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Whilst on my lunch break at work there were 3 of my colleagues talking about accents, one of them was complaining because she "didn't have an accent". I wasn't sure what to laugh about more, that statement or the fact the 2 other coworkers agreed.. :facepalm::wozza:

Is co worker now a recognised English term? or still a adopted american phrase?
It was work colleague in my factory / office days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is a row of 7 - 8 seats not occupied by season ticket holders behind me in WSL. The club seem to have a strict criteria in who they sell these tickets to.

It's always a group of men in their late 20's, they sit sideways on away from the football talking about their jobs.

They all have jobs that use the word 'account' a lot, (I manage the account, I am the account manager, I won the account), they occasionally look up and make a reference to how great it will be if Brighton (not 'we') get to play big teams, they make reference to players who aren't even on the pitch, one of them was adamant that Bruno had been with us since he started his career.

Now I'm all for having a bum on a seat than an empty seat but if you're catching up with a few mates and the conversation is predominantly going to be about what you do in the week rather than enjoy what you do for leisure when you're not at work, surely an afternoon in the pub over some grub would be more suited?

These types turn up at gigs as well.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Staying at a modest apartment in Greece, I was asked by the woman in the place next to us "I can't find the cherry stoner, can I borrow yours".
I told her I thought Cherry Stoner was a Doors groupie.

el punal

There is a row of 7 - 8 seats not occupied by season ticket holders behind me in WSL. The club seem to have a strict criteria in who they sell these tickets to.

It's always a group of men in their late 20's, they sit sideways on away from the football talking about their jobs.

They all have jobs that use the word 'account' a lot, (I manage the account, I am the account manager, I won the account), they occasionally look up and make a reference to how great it will be if Brighton (not 'we') get to play big teams, they make reference to players who aren't even on the pitch, one of them was adamant that Bruno had been with us since he started his career.

Now I'm all for having a bum on a seat than an empty seat but if you're catching up with a few mates and the conversation is predominantly going to be about what you do in the week rather than enjoy what you do for leisure when you're not at work, surely an afternoon in the pub over some grub would be more suited?

Take the "O" out and then you've got a bunch of them. :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Before opening this thread, I highlighted it to see what it was about. This is what I saw:
I was walking through town the other day and as I crossed a main road, the young couple behind me were having an animated discussion about which type of
I'm very disappointed.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Been doing a little bit of work in West London (Notting Hill/Shepherds Bush). Was walking into the office the other morning with two lads behind waxing lyrical about Brighton! Hoping they'd go up, etc., etc. I just had to turn round and thank them and tell them I'm a Brighton supporter. Gave me a nice warm feeling :smile:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
On a London to Tunbridge Wells train years ago (when they still had slam door trains, that long), two 20 somethings started talking to each other, and upon arrival at T/Wells, one asked the other if they wanted to come home with them, to which they said yes. Not convinced it wasn't a genuine couple playing a game on the unsuspecting nosey people like me tho!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

American Express employees?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was walking through town the other day and as I crossed a main road, the young couple behind me were having an animated discussion about which type of pedestrian crossing they preferred.

Guy: "Those lights went red quickly".
Girl: "Yeah, and no cars ran the red light".
Guy: "I like those crossings where the lights change as soon as you press the button."
Girl: "Me too, the quick changes between red and green are better than waiting around for 30 seconds before you can cross."

Is it just me, that can't see anything weird about discussing pedestrian crossings? I like the quick change ones too. There are some that make you wait for ages before they change.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
We were sitting down the Black Lion Harvester with the kids having lunch a few years ago, & a twenty something "WAG clone" (you know the type...) on the table next to us with her boyfriend piped up loudly - "I really hope Barcelona win the World Cup this year".....Her boyfriend looked so embarrassed, & had to explain that Barcelona wasn't a country....or in the World Cup. *face-palm*

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I heard a kid asking his mum if God was the same person as Jesus or whether he was his Dad

The mum said she wasn't sure but thought both were probably true and that all he needs to know is that he should believe in them

Cant beat a good logical explanation :lol:

I nearly chipped in with 'and you'll never see either of them in the same room as the Easter Bunny either - spooky'

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Chav 1: I support Palace, who do you support?
Chav 2: I support Palace too
Chav 1: I love your mum
Chav 2: Not as much as I do
Chav 1: She is your sister as well isn't she?
Chav 2: Yep
Chav 1: Lovely stuff

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Overheard on a bus between Newport and Cwmbran

White man sitting in front of a mother and her son. Mother was wearing a niqab. After about 5 minutes of the mother talking to her son in another language the man, for whatever reason, feels the need to tell the woman "When you're in the UK, you should really be speaking English."

At which point an old woman in front of him turns around and says "She's in Wales, and she's speaking Welsh."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Overheard on a bus between Newport and Cwmbran

White man sitting in front of a mother and her son. Mother was wearing a niqab. After about 5 minutes of the mother talking to her son in another language the man, for whatever reason, feels the need to tell the woman "When you're in the UK, you should really be speaking English."

At which point an old woman in front of him turns around and says "She's in Wales, and she's speaking Welsh."

It's an urban myth. One of those silly stories that keep circulating on Facebook.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
A few years ago I was driving a group of elderly ladies for a shopping trip.
A lady sitting behind me asked the lady sitting next to her if she had ever been dogging?
My ears pricked up.
Lady 2 said that had never been.
Lady number 1 then said that she had been dogging for years and that her now deceased husband got her into it.
She then added that you can have a meal whilst watching the dogs run.
I could hardly drive for laughing.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
It's an urban myth. One of those silly stories that keep circulating on Facebook.

You could be right. On a par with those that claim they have walked into a pub in Wales and the locals change from speaking English to Welsh. Not taking account of the fact they may well have been already speaking their native tongue before that person walked in.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not necessarily heard, but seen. We were on holiday in Austria many years ago, and the rep was housed in a tiny cabin thing which didn't have a shower or decent cooking facilities etc. Poor thing.

Anyway she took us round the village, up the mountains and that sort of thing, she was really good. As a thanks we asked her if she wanted to come to a local hostelry for a meal and a drink and she said yes straight away..obviously bored stupid most of the time. She asked if she could use the shower in our room and of course we agreed. We retired to the bar to give her a bit of privacy and left her to it.

Mrs gaffer forgot her purse so went back to the room to pick it up...whilst she was there, she heard some strange noises coming from the shower....and then a mans voice as well as some splashing about.

Turns out the Rep had invited her mate in one of the other hotels over for a shower and they were getting giggy in there together!!

We then had a very difficult conversation in the bar if to mention it. Suffice it to say we didn't, but my dear wife wouldn't use the shower until the maid had thoroughly cleaned it and replaced the towels!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here