Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

• Casuals

Votes: 40 15.2%
  • Goth

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Grunge

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • Heavy Metal (Metal Head)

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • Hippie

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Hip Hop

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Mod

Votes: 36 13.7%
  • New Romantic

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Punk

Votes: 37 14.1%
  • Rasta

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Rave

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Rocker / Biker

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Rockabilly

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Skaterboy

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Skinhead / Suedehead

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Soul Boy

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Teddy Boy

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Which youth subculture did you or do you most identify with?
Feel free to add your own. I realise Rasta isn't really a youth culture but it didn't seem right not to include it.

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Definitely one with lots of capital letters.

When I was directed to insert text in thread I inadvertently copied and pasted the title without decapitilising it. As it's acceptable to have capitals in titles I've left them in but edited the post sans capitals.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Answered Casuals as that was a more defining period in my life, but musically a mix between New Romantic and Heavy Metal, nothing mixed up about me!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Definitely rave.
Started listening to jungle techno when I was about 11, old tapes of Fantazia, Dreamscape, Fusion, World Dance etc. Jungle techno gave birth to jungle, breakbeat, happy hardcore, hardcore etc, I can't imagine even now I'm coming up to 40 that I will ever listen to anything other than hardcore and a bit of drum n bass.
Used to go to Stern's, travelled all over the country with mates and sometimes my brother's to attend raves.
Helter Skelter was always my place to be though, I've always preferred the harder side of music so the Technodrome at the Sanctuary in Milton Keynes is where I spent most of my youth.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I'm surprised there are so many "Casuals" .....I didn't know what that meant to googled it
"The casual subculture is a subsection of association football culture that is typified by football hooliganism and the wearing of expensive designer clothing (known as "clobber")"
I would have thought that was more Millwall that us?!?!?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
None of the above. I don't like putting labels on things and I like bits of lots of things.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm surprised there are so many "Casuals" .....I didn't know what that meant to googled it
"The casual subculture is a subsection of association football culture that is typified by football hooliganism and the wearing of expensive designer clothing (known as "clobber")"

So many? 8 have voted :shrug:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Definitely rave.
Started listening to jungle techno when I was about 11, old tapes of Fantazia, Dreamscape, Fusion, World Dance etc. Jungle techno gave birth to jungle, breakbeat, happy hardcore, hardcore etc, I can't imagine even now I'm coming up to 40 that I will ever listen to anything other than hardcore and a bit of drum n bass.
Used to go to Stern's, travelled all over the country with mates and sometimes my brother's to attend raves.
Helter Skelter was always my place to be though, I've always preferred the harder side of music so the Technodrome at the Sanctuary in Milton Keynes is where I spent most of my youth.

Pretty much my first ever music purchase was an 8 pack of tapes from the Edge (formerly the Eclipse) in Coventry

Back then it was really i suppose before D&B was a genre of its own it was really either dark hardcore or happy hardcore (which was breaks as we know before happy hardcore became its own genre and was pretty much 180 BPM and cheesy as - slower Gabba if you like)

The pack if IIRC contained (some of them the mixing I could and did do better)

Jumping Jack Frost
Grooverider
Slipmatt
Top Buzz
Fabio
Ratpack

And I cant remember the other 2 could have been a six pack

God I miss my tapes the joy of buying those mix packs from Obsession, Fantazia.... Loved the artwork on them too they were the pride of place next to my awai tape deck and collected so many fliers. Moved on to D&B DJing and partying wise and got quite into Dubstep for a while before retiring from parties and festivals

Happy messy days

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Had a motorbike and leather jacket at 20 and its the same 37 years later so I have put down biker.

Never thought myself as part of any youth subculture, if you ride a bike you are a biker and if you don't wear a leather jacket (and leather jeans as I eventually did) you are going into skin graft territory!

Also I never did the heavy metal thing we are supposed to be associated with and my musical tastes vary from ambient through blues, classical, krautrock, minimalism and ending up with a bit of prog and a lot of rock...

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
None of the above. I don't like putting labels on things and I like bits of lots of things.
I agree but I wasn't asking you to label yourself just whether you identified with any of those subcultures for example having a greater appreciation of the music most associated with it. I personally wouldn't put myself in any one category as my tastes have always been very eclectic and diverse so I would struggle to pick one over some of the others. However alrhough not classifying myself as any of the above I could say I identified with some of them, some of which are in total conflict and some of which were just before my time. The ones I would pick if any would be Punk, Goth (early goth Bauhaus era) and even a bit of hippie which was just before my time but I've always liked the music associated with it. I have never classed myself as any of these but can identify with them.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As usual Paychobilly is ignored or not recognised as a credible genre.

That's the way we like it, also scooter boy is not in there.

Both had massive underground followers in the 80s.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Millwall had the dodgy fake stuff FFS!

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

I prefer this definition;

'A gentleman who portrays himself in a presentable manner for his home and away excursion.'

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
As usual Paychobilly is ignored or not recognised as a credible genre.

That's the way we like it, also scooter boy is not in there.

Both had massive underground followers in the 80s.

But wouldn't "Paychobilly" come under the subculture of Rockabilly being a subculture within that subculture. If I'd listed the subcultures within the subcultures the list would have been too exhaustive. I didn't just omit Paychobilly I also omitted Psychobilly both of which I presume would come under the Rockabilly banner. If I am wrong I apologise. To be honest I wasn't even aware of Paychobilly. When did that emerge? Is it a subculture of psychobilly who are also upwardly mobile professionals?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I agree but I wasn't asking you to label yourself just whether you identified with any of those subcultures for example having a greater appreciation of the music most associated with it. I personally wouldn't put myself in any one category as my tastes have always been very eclectic and diverse so I would struggle to pick one over some of the others. However alrhough not classifying myself as any of the above I could say I identified with some of them, some of which are in total conflict and some of which were just before my time. The ones I would pick if any would be Punk, Goth (early goth Bauhaus era) and even a bit of hippie which was just before my time but I've always liked the music associated with it. I have never classed myself as any of these but can identify with them.

If the criteria is a greater appreciation of the music, then should there be reference to TwoTone/Ska, New Wave, Pub Rock

My tastes are wide and cover many areas, so wouldn't want to be put in a box

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here