Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Olympics,i could only happen in the UK.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
you may as well say that Tony Bloom should have built a hospital for the community instead of wasting his money on a football ground.

The A&Emex.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I was thinking about this the other day.
For me I think it is shocking that in 2016 education and NHS is so underfunded and struggling with MP's lying and fudging the figures about how much is spent on them.
Education and NHS ( and child poverty) is far more important than Olympic medals so I can see the argument for using lottery money to fund education and health but the argument should not be raised in the first place.
I am very proud of our results in Rio and that is what lottery money should be spent on but due to our lying, disgusting governments who, as said above would only further cut spending anyway, the priority should be helping the kids and the ill in this country.
I despise the vast majority of our MP's

The NHS gets over 100 BILLION per annum and it increases every year. How on earth is that underfunded?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
We both know the answer to that! I think that we have to do more to force them to carry out EXACTLY what they promise. One of those was £350m per week extra to the nhs when we brexit. We have to force them to carry that promise out. If they do not the whole vote becomes invalid.

The NHS, for all it's good work, is a HUGE money pit. The government of the day cannot just pour more and more money into it ad infinitum. It's not sustainable.

Oct 25, 2003
having positive role models in sport is really important in terms of getting kids involved in sport/activity. We live in an age of celebrity so seeing our guys winning medals and all over the TV gets kids interested. Getting kids active is incredibly important in so many ways

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Another grudging article, by Simon Jenkins in the Evening Standard:

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...don-s-two-new-cultural-quarters-a3310171.html

Yes I agree, there are a lot of questions that can and should be asked about the deal that West Ham have got. As for Olympicopolis, no, I'm not in a hurry to go and visit it, but it will succeed or fail on its own merits. I agree with him sometimes on architecture, but he uses his weekly article most of the time to moan.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
We both know the answer to that! I think that we have to do more to force them to carry out EXACTLY what they promise. One of those was £350m per week extra to the nhs when we brexit. We have to force them to carry that promise out. If they do not the whole vote becomes invalid.

I thought that stupid lie about £350m pw had been nailed long ago!? The government never promised to put £350m a week from Brexit (rubbish anyway) into the NHS and even the Brexiteers who sold the lie admitted it was a misleading "suggestion"!

The only question in the referendum was coming out of the EU or not. What else did you think was "promised" as a result?

Can't be bothered to reignite the Brexit debate as it's already generated thousands of vitriolic posts in other threads but it does illustrate the stupidity of ever holding the referendum in the first place......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Give the NHS and extra 50bn would mean higher paid management and no change to anybody else. It's rotten at the top not the bottom.

NHS is like higher education, a total mess with layer upon layer of restructuring, each of which makes things worse and requires the employment of more managers. I straddle both camps (higher education, teaching, medical research) and there are layers of management above me, none of whom have any direct contact with me, instigating new process and initiatives, all of which result in nothing more than box ticking paperwork. Officially, I have never taken a day's holiday in 30 years: because nobody monitors it. Spend the lottery money on the Olympics - it makes people happy and inspires young people to get of their arses and compete, with some hope of a win.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What about the social and health benefits of raising the profile of sports and getting kids into something that may not have otherwise been exposed to? I think it is a little shortsighted to just look at the costs without addressing the benefits also.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If people are going to complain about the Olympics, it should be about the publicly funded BBC, and their continuing moving coverage between BBC 1 and BBC 2 because no doubt there are millions of people who are unable to switch channels to watch Eastenders or the 10 o'clock news.

Are there really millions of people who can only get BBC 1 ?
Or am I missing your point?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
having positive role models in sport is really important in terms of getting kids involved in sport/activity. We live in an age of celebrity so seeing our guys winning medals and all over the TV gets kids interested. Getting kids active is incredibly important in so many ways

Only if that interest can be built on.

I mentioned earlier that a swimming club was putting people on a waiting list but I found another example of sporting idiocy last night. My 10-year-old son was watching the handball and thought it looked interesting.

I checked the Brighton handball club website and they only take people who are 14 or older. I know from involvement with cricket and rugby clubs that this is the age when kids starting dropping out of sport as exam pressures take their toll, so it seems the height of stupidity to try attract players at that age. You need to get them while they're still young - minority sports have to work even harder to get people. If you're only trying to attract adults, you're not going to build a successful team.

As I said earlier, it would be great if that Olympics success did inspire young people to take up sport but the sports have to be ready for them or there's an opportunity lost

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Only if that interest can be built on.

I mentioned earlier that a swimming club was putting people on a waiting list but I found another example of sporting idiocy last night. My 10-year-old son was watching the handball and thought it looked interesting.

I checked the Brighton handball club website and they only take people who are 14 or older. I know from involvement with cricket and rugby clubs that this is the age when kids starting dropping out of sport as exam pressures take their toll, so it seems the height of stupidity to try attract players at that age. You need to get them while they're still young - minority sports have to work even harder to get people. If you're only trying to attract adults, you're not going to build a successful team.

As I said earlier, it would be great if that Olympics success did inspire young people to take up sport but the sports have to be ready for them or there's an opportunity lost

I have to agree that having a lower age limit of 14 is very short-sighted. I wonder what their reasoning is?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Perhaps everyone from now on in needs to have a certain level of education before they are allowed to vote. Say English and Maths as a minimum. If you snooze at school you lose :moo:

Shame that potential parents don't have to pass a test before they can have kids, as well.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What about the social and health benefits of raising the profile of sports and getting kids into something that may not have otherwise been exposed to? I think it is a little shortsighted to just look at the costs without addressing the benefits also.

In a way, this is why I can't completely get my head round the idea of cash being given out to those sports only where there are medal hopes. Surely,one has to start somewhere and nurture the seeds of future success.I don't think basketball or handball get much dosh at all, because of a lack of medal hopes. Blimey, these kind of sports should be encouraged as they are more accessible to the many, rather than the likes of cycling and rowing.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
In a way, this is why I can't completely get my head round the idea of cash being given out to those sports only where there are medal hopes. Surely,one has to start somewhere and nurture the seeds of future success.I don't think basketball or handball get much dosh at all, because of a lack of medal hopes. Blimey, these kind of sports should be encouraged as they are more accessible to the many, rather than the likes of cycling and rowing.

Basketball was discussed on the Olympic programme, yesterday. One of the problems we have in the UK, is that youngsters who show any promise go to the States to play. The UK then has a problem trying to get the different players in one place, to train as a team for the Olympics.
It's not a case of only allocating cash where we think we can win medals.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Basketball was discussed on the Olympic programme, yesterday. One of the problems we have in the UK, is that youngsters who show any promise go to the States to play. The UK then has a problem trying to get the different players in one place, to train as a team for the Olympics.
It's not a case of only allocating cash where we think we can win medals.

Point taken re basketball, but my point re cash allocation is nevertheless still valid.
If you win medals, you get more dosh thrown at the sport, but if you fail to reach your 'target' the dosh goes down. To my way of thinking, this doesn't necessarily seem quite right.

Jul 5, 2003
If you win medals, you get more dosh thrown at the sport, but if you fail to reach your 'target' the dosh goes down. To my way of thinking, this doesn't necessarily seem quite right.

This isn't necessarily so. The swimming team had their lottery money reduced after a poor 2012 Olympic Games. However, it made them look at better ways of using the money they had been granted and their results improved massively. Next time their money will go up but a further improvement in results should be expected.

I think the people who distribute the lottery money are experienced at this now and do a good job. They do the job that they were mandated to do after the Lottery was set up and the improvement in performance has been unbelievable. (8 medals in Atlanta I believe).

If people don't want their money to go to the Olympic athletes then they should stop buying lottery tickets! Most of the people that say that the money should go to the NHS probably don't enter the lottery anyway!

I don't particularly want my National Insurance and Income tax to go to all those managers in the NHS but, unfortunately, I don't get a say in that! My money is taken, distributed then wasted.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This isn't necessarily so. The swimming team had their lottery money reduced after a poor 2012 Olympic Games. However, it made them look at better ways of using the money they had been granted and their results improved massively. Next time their money will go up but a further improvement in results should be expected.

I think the people who distribute the lottery money are experienced at this now and do a good job. They do the job that they were mandated to do after the Lottery was set up and the improvement in performance has been unbelievable. (8 medals in Atlanta I believe).

If people don't want their money to go to the Olympic athletes then they should stop buying lottery tickets! Most of the people that say that the money should go to the NHS probably don't enter the lottery anyway!

I don't particularly want my National Insurance and Income tax to go to all those managers in the NHS but, unfortunately, I don't get a say in that! My money is taken, distributed then wasted.

Oh well, we will have to agree that we have a different take on funding.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here