Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
19:11 at Guilford parkrun today. I was actually pretty pleased with the balance of the run and had my best ever 2nd lap. I think that my long run earlier in week and the tail end of my cold did for a pb though.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A very slow 22:21 for me (slowest for a good while) at Portsmouth Lakeside. This was only about the 14th event. Not a bad course - almost flat and with some longish straight bits - so no excuses unfortunately. Looks like lack of training of late is beginning to take its toll on my times. But on the bright side I won my category and remain in the 70%+ age grading.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Crap marathon for me this morning at Caldecotte Lake in MK. Overheated and puked a bit so pace went through the floor. Ended up doing about 4.05 with pretty much a jog/walk second half. Course looks picturesque but after a couple of laps was boring........7.5 laps in total. Very small field of runners (50 ?) with many doing very slow races as they are doing another there this afternoon (or they're just slow). Nice medal but don't think I would rush back there to do another (they hold them pretty much every week, and often multiple times per week)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Been an eventful 24 hours. Went over last night and wild camped in our camper at the start of Hasting's Parkrun. Famous for it's free camping we had an enjoyable evening with fellow European campers. Swim at 7 am followed by meeting @St Leonard's Seagull after his 12 hour night shift in A&E for the starter's gun. Great effort for him to turn up without any sleep and talk to the 20" pacer for the first 10 minutes of running!
The course and conditions were ideal and the 20" pacer was really encouraging. Pushed out to a 15th finish by a number of other tourist runners turning up. Especially the Weald Tri lot. The set up better than Hove Prom but Hove Park rules still.
End result was 10 seconds better than last week at Hove, 20:19. So pb for 7 years and 76.29% best AG ever. Lost 4-5 (?) seconds when a Steward tried to make us turn for home too early. Need [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] to back that up when he wakes up.

So have to try harder. 2 weeks prep for going better at Hove Prom on August 14th. Anyone up for giving me support or a challenge?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Been an eventful 24 hours. Went over last night and wild camped in our camper at the start of Hasting's Parkrun. Famous for it's free camping we had an enjoyable evening with fellow European campers. Swim at 7 am followed by meeting @St Leonard's Seagull after his 12 hour night shift in A&E for the starter's gun. Great effort for him to turn up without any sleep and talk to the 20" pacer for the first 10 minutes of running!
The course and conditions were ideal and the 20" pacer was really encouraging. Pushed out to a 15th finish by a number of other tourist runners turning up. Especially the Weald Tri lot. The set up better than Hove Prom but Hove Park rules still.
End result was 10 seconds better than last week at Hove, 20:19. So pb for 7 years and 76.29% best AG ever. Lost 4-5 (?) seconds when a Steward tried to make us turn for home too early. Need [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] to back that up when he wakes up.

So have to try harder. 2 weeks prep for going better at Hove Prom on August 14th. Anyone up for giving me support or a challenge?

As long as you mean Saturday 13th then I'd be happy to pace you for 19:59. Hopefully conditions are favourable for this attempt, you aren't too far away based on today's effort.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Excellent work that ! I think I've got a parkrun in my plan that weekend, but you're definitely going to beat me at the mo........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As long as you mean Saturday 13th then I'd be happy to pace you for 19:59. Hopefully conditions are favourable for this attempt, you aren't too far away based on today's effort.

Excellent work that ! I think I've got a parkrun in my plan that weekend, but you're definitely going to beat me at the mo........

August 13 prom run then, unless a strong wind heads us to Hove Park.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
August 13 prom run then, unless a strong wind heads us to Hove Park.

Worthing is a quicker run with only one turn - do you want to go for that?

Only problem is its the morning after the Forest game which may involve beer and curry.

Reasonably pleased with 21:20 at HP this morning as on the back of two nights out.

Reacquainting myself with the delights of Truleigh Hill in the morning.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Been an eventful 24 hours.

For some reason I read that as 'awful 24 hours'... which made no sense in the context of what you went on to write, and made me wonder what a good day for you would look like!

:D

Filipino Pat

Aug 24, 2014
I am a slow, poor runner who sometimes/often struggles to find the motivation to run, especially early morning. I prefer running alone, but know that I'd be much more likely to go if I had a commitment with someone to keep. So, my question is: Does anyone know whether an app exists whereby online commitments are honoured with running partners across the globe somehow? Of course, I do realise I'm overcomplicating this and should just get out of bed and run...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am a slow, poor runner who sometimes/often struggles to find the motivation to run, especially early morning. I prefer running alone, but know that I'd be much more likely to go if I had a commitment with someone to keep. So, my question is: Does anyone know whether an app exists whereby online commitments are honoured with running partners across the globe somehow? Of course, I do realise I'm overcomplicating this and should just get out of bed and run...

Not aware of an app, but join the NSC strava group if you haven't already........simply seeing the league table of mileage will spur you on a bit.

We all struggle with motivation at times as well, nothing unusual. Might help to have a plan, with varied sessions so you're not aimlessly plodding when you go out, and also set yourself a target - a particular race, or a particular time over a distance ? You'll see all the chatter in here about parkrun - start getting along to those now and again, it'll motivate you to want to improve your time, which will in turn impact your motivation to train ? Can't recommend parkrun highly enough - free, no registration faffing about and suitable for everyone from complete beginners

Filipino Pat

Aug 24, 2014
Thanks for the info. Had to look up what a parkrun was exactly. My wife and I did enter our first race (10km) over here in Manila a little while ago - and it was about the first time I've ever actually enjoyed the run itself rather than just the feeling afterwards. So we plan to do more of those as it did help with the motivation, nice to have an aim other than simply slowing the middle-age spread... Don't think there are many parkruns here, but there are lots of different length races available I could sign up for - no excuses...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for the info. Had to look up what a parkrun was exactly. My wife and I did enter our first race (10km) over here in Manila a little while ago - and it was about the first time I've ever actually enjoyed the run itself rather than just the feeling afterwards. So we plan to do more of those as it did help with the motivation, nice to have an aim other than simply slowing the middle-age spread... Don't think there are many parkruns here, but there are lots of different length races available I could sign up for - no excuses...

Definitely helps to have something to aim for, whether it's a race or a time.......nope, no excuses !

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Had to edit as put the wife's Facebook page on. Google makati Manila hash house harriers and look at their Facebook page.

When I was in Riyadh I joined the Hash House Harriers. It was for all abilities. From there I moved on to the Riyadh Road Runners. Looks like your group runs every couple of weeks. Give them a try. The photos of the routes look brilliant.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Worthing is a quicker run with only one turn - do you want to go for that?

Only problem is its the morning after the Forest game which may involve beer and curry.

Reasonably pleased with 21:20 at HP this morning as on the back of two nights out.

Reacquainting myself with the delights of Truleigh Hill in the morning.

What with your football beer and curry not sure if I want you as a pacemaker! With football and Wilko at the De La Warr Pavilion that night think I'll stick to Hove Prom.
Could do Worthing this Saturday? Planning a hard week training so won't improve on time.

Filipino Pat

Aug 24, 2014
Had to edit as put the wife's Facebook page on. Google makati Manila hash house harriers and look at their Facebook page.

When I was in Riyadh I joined the Hash House Harriers. It was for all abilities. From there I moved on to the Riyadh Road Runners. Looks like your group runs every couple of weeks. Give them a try. The photos of the routes look brilliant.

Thanks - just had a look. I joined the Harriers in Doha when I lived there many years ago - just for a couple of runs. It was fun, but I was quite a bit younger then with fewer responsibilities. Sunday afternoons are less easy to get free for nowadays. Cheers for the advice though...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
What with your football beer and curry not sure if I want you as a pacemaker! With football and Wilko at the De La Warr Pavilion that night think I'll stick to Hove Prom.
Could do Worthing this Saturday? Planning a hard week training so won't improve on time.

There's no parkrun at Hove Prom or Preston Park this week (6th Aug) because of Pride. Hove Park therefore likely to be very busy so definitely considering an out of town jaunt - possibly Worthing or Tilgate

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's no parkrun at Hove Prom or Preston Park this week (6th Aug) because of Pride. Hove Park therefore likely to be very busy so definitely considering an out of town jaunt - possibly Worthing or Tilgate

Try Clair in Haywards Heath - different parkrun experience

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You've settled it for me. Tilgate this Saturday and Hove Prom 13th. Will camp near Tilgate on Friday and go into Horsham after the run. I'm getting into Parkrun tourism and Friday 'on the road'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here