Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Dover is the most profitable port in the U.K. for both passenger and freight economies.
You’ll have to google the figures yourself , I’m bored of educating you lot today.

cant find anything to support that. busiest port, Grimsby; largest port, Felixstow; largest value Heathrow(!). perhaps you're accounting for EU only, where Dover leads?

When you look up the figures, be sure to look for perishable goods, foodstuffs and medicines, rather than just tonnage and container ships.

the reports im looking at dont make such distinctions, and mix up tonnage and "unit" which of course maybe of different tonnages and certainly different values. this isnt supposed to be an arguement for or against leaving or remaining, more a observation that both sides tell us a narrative that they think the public (or often i suspect the media themselves) can understand.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Thank you.

The relevant paragraph

If the government is defeated, there would likely be a move to stage a vote of no confidence in the government from the opposition. Or perhaps even the prime minister herself would seek to test the confidence of MPs in her government, as a way of trying to regain her authority.

Boris Johnson will relish a leadership challenge. He's even got his own family onside and has said that he now thinks it's better to Remain. Why do you think he's laying low and keeping things under his hat?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...etary-of-state-for-exiting-the-european-union
regards
DR

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
“Up to 85,000 retail jobs disappeared from Britain’s high streets in the first nine months of this year after a surge in the number of businesses going bust and closing stores.
Nearly 1,000 businesses – from big employers such as House of Fraser, Evans Cycles and Poundworld to independent traders – went into administration between January and September, according to new data seen by the Observer, the highest number in five years. A further 26 big companies, including New Look, Carpetright, Mother care and Homebase, opted to close stores – up 73% on the same period last year.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/11/jobs-lost-retailers-high-street-decline

Nothing to do with the internet shopping phenomenon then [emoji23][emoji23]
3288230e3d09924e07b263fba91fbe52.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nothing to do with the internet shopping phenomenon then [emoji23][emoji23]
3288230e3d09924e07b263fba91fbe52.jpg

Most of the shops/brands listed in the article had an online presence. You tell me.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Just caught up with the thread to see if anyone says “crap, we were tricked and miss sold an impossible dream”

None yet.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just caught up with the thread to see if anyone says “crap, we were tricked and miss sold an impossible dream”

None yet.

That is true, of course. And almost everything that has happened since 52 percent of people who bothered to vote bought it has made the situation worse, beginning with May’s incomprehensible rush to trigger Article 50 before she had the semblance of a plan. She is no nearer one today than she was then. The sensible and brave thing to do would be to suspend Artcle 50 immediately until we have decided the way forward, but she imagines that that would be taken as a sign of weakness. But as she is seen as feeble and useless anyway, it would make no difference to her standing and might actually improve it. Corbyn, of course, is beyond a joke. Caroline Lucas for dictator!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
That is true, of course. And almost everything that has happened since 52 percent of people who bothered to vote bought it has made the situation worse, beginning with May’s incomprehensible rush to trigger Article 50 before she had the semblance of a plan. She is no nearer one today than she was then. The sensible and brave thing to do would be to suspend Artcle 50 immediately until we have decided the way forward, but she imagines that that would be taken as a sign of weakness. But as she is seen as feeble and useless anyway, it would make no difference to her standing and might actually improve it. Corbyn, of course, is beyond a joke. Caroline Lucas for dictator!

I bet you are one of those FBPE idiots

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

None yet.

Why.Have you started building houses on flood plains?Come back when you're Berty43,you might make a bit more sense.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
“Up to 85,000 retail jobs disappeared from Britain’s high streets in the first nine months of this year after a surge in the number of businesses going bust and closing stores.
Nearly 1,000 businesses – from big employers such as House of Fraser, Evans Cycles and Poundworld to independent traders – went into administration between January and September, according to new data seen by the Observer, the highest number in five years. A further 26 big companies, including New Look, Carpetright, Mother care and Homebase, opted to close stores – up 73% on the same period last year.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/11/jobs-lost-retailers-high-street-decline

The Amazon / internet effect has without doubt helped the demise of these companies and this trend has been incurring in other developed economies

But it is Brexit that has turbo charged the situation in the UK and made things far worse. Companies have been hit with increased import costs on the back of a weak sterling and have been unable to pass on increases due to sector weakness.

Apart from other EU countries benefiting from companies leaving or downsizing in the UK, I'm still trying to work out who is going to benefit from Brexit

Nov 9, 2018
The Amazon / internet effect has without doubt helped the demise of these companies and this trend has been incurring in other developed economies

But it is Brexit that has turbo charged the situation in the UK and made things far worse. Companies have been hit with increased import costs on the back of a weak sterling and have been unable to pass on increases due to sector weakness.

Apart from other EU countries benefiting from companies leaving or downsizing in the UK, I'm still trying to work out who is going to benefit from Brexit

Genuine question - who is actually going to benefit from Brexit?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The ones you support and applaud are the assorted bad boys, chancers, mysterious millionaires and hitherto unfulfilled politicians who launched this shambles and got it to float our country straight up the creek towards the situation it now faces. Calamity beckons and all you can do is bounce up and down at any prospect of the people having an opportunity to dig us out. While slipping in one of your sad little patriotism jibes at the end of course.

(BTW, I have never argued for the vassalage option so perhaps this means that I am not one of your undemocratic loons after all. Can you imagine how disappointing this is for me?)

Woeful misrepresentation as usual. Firstly I don't 'support' or 'applaud' anyone I just exercise my democratic choice in elections and expect the outcome to be enacted (just like you did until Remain lost). Secondly, we are where we are because of a complacent, arrogant, political class (both here and abroad) continually ignoring numerous sections of the electorate. Bad boys, chancers and mysterious millionaires wouldn't get anywhere if our politicians were doing their jobs properly. Thirdly it hasn't helped that a significant section in parliament and elsewhere have been doing their best to undermine our negotiating position at every opportunity and yes the government have been making a pig's ear of the negotiations.

Saying all that our relationship with the EU has always been problematic (constantly ceding sovereignty) so seeking a specific democratic mandate to continue on or choose a different path was needed in my view and the right decision even though we got a say for the wrong reason (Cameron only promising a referendum to head off rising support for UKIP). I would rather a deal was reached but not any deal at any cost and planning for a no deal scenario more advanced but we are where we are.

Your undemocratic loon credentials were established years ago.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Shops run by idiots,and audited by their idiot mates,will always be going to the wall.Not long to go now.Once Christmas/New Year is over,then the Spring is in the air for Great Britain.On our way.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

I think it will now fall apart anyway. Shambolic to say the least. Whatever deal will now be voted down.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Woeful misrepresentation as usual. Firstly I don't 'support' or 'applaud' anyone I just exercise my democratic choice in elections and expect the outcome to be enacted (just like you did until Remain lost). Secondly, we are where we are because of a complacent, arrogant, political class (both here and abroad) continually ignoring numerous sections of the electorate. Bad boys, chancers and mysterious millionaires wouldn't get anywhere if our politicians were doing their jobs properly. Thirdly it hasn't helped that a significant section in parliament and elsewhere have been doing their best to undermine our negotiating position at every opportunity and yes the government have been making a pig's ear of the negotiations.

Saying all that our relationship with the EU has always been problematic (constantly ceding sovereignty) so seeking a specific democratic mandate to continue on or choose a different path was needed in my view and the right decision even though we got a say for the wrong reason (Cameron only promising a referendum to head off rising support for UKIP). I would rather a deal was reached but not any deal at any cost and planning for a no deal scenario more advanced but we are where we are.

Your undemocratic loon credentials were established years ago.

I largely agree with your highlighted point. I spend a fair amount of time in areas where local people feel ignored by remote southern politicians. It was obvious they wanted to protest and that's why I hazarded a guess about which way the referendum would go. It wasn't clever of me. Stand in a Lincolnshire social club and you could see it coming.

You imply that more robust (ie Brexity) negotiators would have got more out of the EU negotiators. I am not sure you're right: those negotiators have been mandated by members not to cede ground on what they regard as basic principles and in respect of these it would have made little difference who was on our side of the table and how loud they were shouting. I agree that life for our own negotiators would have been simpler if it hadn't been for the mother of parliaments exercising its rights in the background. But that, sadly for them, is how our ancient system of representative democracy works. It's a messy old business.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Ppf gets his post count up, with , basically, one inane comment,expressed in various ways. Apart from that, nope, can’t see any winners either, unless it’s democracy :ffsparr::D

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here