Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] *** Labour Party Annual Conference, 23-25 September 2018, ACC Liverpool ***

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good grief. Just watched some of his speech. Incredible really.

Presumably he understands that to do anything that he wants to do he needs to be in power first? Some of his policies are totally ridiculous and will be rejected heavily by the electorate.
Labour has outlined many policies during the past few days. Can we identify which of the policies are the most ridiculous and will lose most votes? Top 5?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I had: "Labour have proposed making companies with over 250 employees put 10% of their shares into a workers fund, which would pay dividends out to the company's employees. Do you think this is a good or bad idea?"

Source: https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/re...d8ede366-bfd8-11e8-b2fd-d185bd10f20a/politics

250,interesting on R4 this morning and something like 'i have built this company up from nothing do you think that i should give away 10% (basically a tax take) anyway someone is leaving on Friday so it goes to 249 problem solved'.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Labour has outlined many policies during the past few days. Can we identify which of the policies are the most ridiculous and will lose most votes? Top 5?

Unclear strategy on Brexit - he even mumbled the bit about all options being available in his speech today, very odd
A levy on second homes - eole are generally aspirational and want a government to support that not punish them for them. He laughed during his speech and said "think of this as a contribution towards those that don't have a home". Vote loser.
Massive increases in spending - talk of borrowing an additional £125billion
Forcing companies to give shares to employees - popular for labour voters, but not good for business, and therefore people won't vote for it
Supporting a Palestinian state and attacking Israel, reconfirming his anti semitic views
More powers for unions - really? Back to the 70's we go.

None of this will help them into power. Crazy talk.

Additionally, the most scary thing is behind Corbyn you have a bunch of an strange supporting cast who look like they have just left the public sector. Can you imagine what they would do in power? Diane Abbott is actually probably the best of a very bad bunch which says it all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
250,interesting on R4 this morning and something like 'i have built this company up from nothing do you think that i should give away 10% (basically a tax take) anyway someone is leaving on Friday so it goes to 249 problem solved'.

There's not many edge cases that could manipulate things in that way.

However, after the Corbyn speech, McDonnell did a piece with BBC and was asked about foreign-owned companies. His response was simply that if a company operated in the UK then they will come under the scheme. That's all well and good but as I said before, I'm not sure what economic benefit that will bring either to the employees of that company and to society as a whole, when the UK company does not pay any dividends, as is surely the case for most.

And to be clear: I'm massively in favour of employee share ownership. All studies I have seen indicate the positive effects for companies that implement schemes, but I can't see how enforcement would work in many common cases.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One was a leaver, one was a remainer! The leaver knew he would piss many in his party off if too vociferous, the remainer was Home Sec. at the time with one eye on the top job and knew she would piss many of her party off if too vociferous! Both imho are a pair of snide’s .

yeah, that's my take too

borat

Jul 16, 2003
But so what if they are? The issue only becomes a problem if any bias comes out in their work and I just don't see or hear it. And I say this as someone who is on the left of the political spectrum. Yes, there was the Laura Kuennsberg interview with Corbyn early on in his leadership and she was quite rightly slapped down for it. Since then I think she's been excellent and gave May a torrid time during the last election with the whole dementia tax debacle. Andrew Neil pulls no punches with anyone, Today will go after MPs from both parties, as will Andrew Marr, who incidentally is married to a political journalist from The Guardian.

Do you not think it is dangerous to have a monopoly of views within what is supposed to be a neutral organisiation and not a government mouthpiece. If we are citing Marr, I would suggest viewing his starkly contrasting approach to recent interviews with May and Corbyn. Agree with you that Andrew Neil does go hard on all guests. The majority of mainstream media (which is right leaning) are pumping out Anti-Corbyn articles on a daily basis (mainly the Anti-Semetism smear). There is little balance or nuance. On the plus side, there are growing outlets of ''new media'' outlets which I think is healthy for journalism.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There's not many edge cases that could manipulate things in that way.

However, after the Corbyn speech, McDonnell did a piece with BBC and was asked about foreign-owned companies. His response was simply that if a company operated in the UK then they will come under the scheme. That's all well and good but as I said before, I'm not sure what economic benefit that will bring either to the employees of that company and to society as a whole, when the UK company does not pay any dividends, as is surely the case for most.

And to be clear: I'm massively in favour of employee share ownership. All studies I have seen indicate the positive effects for companies that implement schemes, but I can't see how enforcement would work in many common cases.

The point that is missed on this policy is that a large amount of companies already do this. Those that don't would need to adjust accordingly but not every company is the same and therefore to have a hard and fast rule on this is crazy. It certainly won't help business. Those that already do more than this may gradually ease back to the minimum, like the minimum wage has shown. Those that do less may struggle to achieve it without impacting on their business.

Generally business is best left alone to get on with it with help from the Government only when it really needs it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

A Labour MP who called for a general strike to bring down the government unless there is a general election "got a little bit carried away", the party's deputy leader says.
Today we've heard calls for a true people's vote. A general election," she said.
"Comrades, we must topple this cruel and callous Tory government as soon as we can. And if we can't get a general election, we should organise with our brothers and sisters in the trade unions to bring an end to this government with a general strike."

Fantastic, Derek Hatton reincarnated just what we need.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Just back from walking the dog and switched on to Corbyn.

Is that the most ill-fitting suit in history?

I think Boris Johnson or Theresa May probably win that title.
I'm sure the media will focus on what he was wearing in tomorrows papers though, its what the people want right? You've only got to look at some of the posts on here to know that most people aren't concerned with policies.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Do you not think it is dangerous to have a monopoly of views within what is supposed to be a neutral organisiation and not a government mouthpiece. If we are citing Marr, I would suggest viewing his starkly contrasting approach to recent interviews with May and Corbyn. Agree with you that Andrew Neil does go hard on all guests. The majority of mainstream media (which is right leaning) are pumping out Anti-Corbyn articles on a daily basis (mainly the Anti-Semetism smear). There is little balance or nuance. On the plus side, there are growing outlets of ''new media'' outlets which I think is healthy for journalism.

100%, a monopoly of views, as found in our press, is unhealthy, but I'm not sure what the BBC has to do with that. Do you genuinely think that it's a "government mouthpiece"? Really? Sorry, that's entering tinfoil hat territory. I just don't see this at the BBC and in the main its political output is fairly balanced, with journalists and production staff that are able to separate their personal views from their professional work. Contrast it with its comedy output, especially some of its panel shows that are loaded with left-leaning comedians and which have a much larger audience. I don't see many people of the left complaining about that. Apologies, I haven't watched Marr recently so can't comment on his May/Corbyn interviews. I honestly haven't see May get an easy ride from the BBC, apart from that One Show appearance, which actually did more damage to her than good.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
A Labour MP who called for a general strike to bring down the government unless there is a general election "got a little bit carried away", the party's deputy leader says.
Today we've heard calls for a true people's vote. A general election," she said.
"Comrades, we must topple this cruel and callous Tory government as soon as we can. And if we can't get a general election, we should organise with our brothers and sisters in the trade unions to bring an end to this government with a general strike."

Fantastic, Derek Hatton reincarnated just what we need.
I have no problem with her passion. I have a lot more problem with people who seem content with what has become normalised in this country regarding inequalities of opportunity and outcome.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

share owning democracy was a cornerstone of another politician, who done very well at the ballot box. however, in McDonnells plan, the employee doesnt own anything, shares are transferred to a fund on their behalf and they get a handout, maybe. i know i labour the point but only because the policy needs to be shown for what it is, its not a fluffy cash hand out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Any news on the General Strike ?

thats a good laugh. trouble is for all the talk of the nation in crisis, it isnt. there are problems, but not sufficient for a massive walkout by the average worker. Some union members would probably back it, but i doubt say teachers and nurses would come out en masse to force democracy. even Tom Watson has poured cold water on it.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Good questions. I am no expert but I know that in Germany workers generally have rights and engagement far in excess of what has become commonplace in this country.

The share ownership thing seems to work OK for John Lewis. I assume the proposed model might have some elements in common with how that scheme operates.
the german workers psyche and attitude is far different to here , thats why it works , we could learn a lot from the germans , both management and workers

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Correct. Aside from unions there are works councils. This is the key difference to most other countries. They are in the process of setting one up in the Frau’s place of employment. It’s been interesting to hear about it. They are incredibly common and you have legal rights to set one up in any business above a certain size. They have been around for decades as well. https://www.german-way.com/german-workers-councils-demystified/

as ive just said , it works in germany because the psyche is so different , we could learn a lot from the gemans mate both management and the workers .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here