Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
BML2 is an interesting one. There's a compelling case for it every time there's a fatality or emergency engineering works on the single point of failure part of the main line. However, as you say, the work to do it would mess things up for the duration. The absolute balls up made of the London Bridge improvements (dangerous platforms and signage, signals that never worked) suggests things would get MUCH worse before they got any better with BML2. Plus it would need a private franchise to run it, Network Rail to design it and unionised labour to staff it. what could possibly go wrong?

I have not heard of this, but rest assured, I would not presume to doubt you, as you clearly have more experience of train journeys than I do - mine is limited to the 12.26 on Saturdays from Hastings to a certain place in Brighton. Perhaps this sums up the railways as it has always been - poor service and sloppy attitudes throughout.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
I have not heard of this, but rest assured, I would not presume to doubt you, as you clearly have more experience of train journeys than I do - mine is limited to the 12.26 on Saturdays from Hastings to a certain place in Brighton. Perhaps this sums up the railways as it has always been - poor service and sloppy attitudes throughout.

Other countries over the world used to come here to see how such a comprehensive network and service could be run on such old infrastructure and low investment. The massive increase in population has proved too much as it has for roads and services etc. It doesn't matter who runs the service ,, one incident will cause chaos on the busiest network in the world..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This is what happens when a privatised company driven by pure naked greed is given completely free rein to run amok without being slapped down by the people elected into government to protect decent people from the likes of these complete shysters.

And is totally illegal to do so but SASTA don't care about it or the damage that it does to the future industrial relations

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is what happens when a privatised company driven by pure naked greed is given completely free rein to run amok without being slapped down by the people elected into government to protect decent people from the likes of these complete shysters.

this

And people still vote blue

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And is totally illegal to do so but SASTA don't care about it or the damage that it does to the future industrial relations

It's doing damage WAY beyond intra-industry squabbles now. This continual crock of shit is killing the regional economy, destroying the work/life balance of countless thousands of families, causing people to lose their jobs and I'm pretty much sure tipping some people over the edge into mental illness. Beneath contempt that our elected representatives don't slap these cvnts down bigtime and replace them with a company that can at least pretend to be arsed to run trains up and down a straight sixty mile piece of track to a given timetable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's doing damage WAY beyond intra-industry squabbles now. This continual crock of shit is killing the regional economy, destroying the work/life balance of countless thousands of families, causing people to lose their jobs and I'm pretty much sure tipping some people over the edge into mental illness. Beneath contempt that our elected representatives don't slap these cvnts down bigtime and replace them with a company that can at least pretend to be arsed to run trains up and down a straight sixty mile piece of track to a given timetable.

That. All of it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and a merry yuletide to RMT too. have they balloted their members on the current offer, or just continuing on without?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Do you know if this is guards or RMT drivers, it just says workers?

Guards according to the RMT site:

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-announces-further-strike-dates-in-southern-guards-safe/

RAIL UNION RMT today confirmed a schedule of additional industrial action by Southern Rail Guards in the wake of the company’s continued refusal to give a guarantee that a second, safety-critical member of staff will be retained on all services which currently have a guard on board.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
From RMT:

RAIL UNION RMT today confirmed a schedule of additional industrial action by Southern Rail Guards in the wake of the company’s continued refusal to give a guarantee that a second, safety-critical member of staff will be retained on all services which currently have a guard on board.

From Southern:

We guarantee that traditional conductors will retain current competence and will guarantee that the second member of on board staff will be trained to a ‘safety competent’ level including track safety training, train evacuation, traction competence and full commercial route knowledge (excluding train dispatch).

Cool. So the RMT will be instructing it's members to go back to work then.......

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
From RMT:

From Southern:

Cool. So the RMT will be instructing it's members to go back to work then.......

depends what trained to a SAFETY COMPETENT LEVEL means.

They won't be going back to work, infact the situation is about to get a whole lot worse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here