Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could you compete in an Ironman?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Very best of luck.

I did Crawley Tri a Tri several years ago, and quite enjoyed it. I am more of a runner, but it was good doing an race with several parts to it.

All I would say is concentrate on the swimming, and try to get used to swimming with other people. Its quite easy to train on your own, but on the day you will be swimming with hundreds of other people and it can all get quite physical. Elbows flying, kicking and even people swimming over you. Plus the water get very choppy.

I was just glad to get out of the pool and onto my bike .

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Hello All,

Just thought I would say that (if anybody cares) my blog has been updated with how my training is going.

First Olympic distance Traithlon in 6 weeks time!

James

http://www.ironsnook.co.uk
I have a tiny little super sprint in five weeks. Sad to say I have got rather fat and unfit over the winter and been slow to resume training. Still mulling over when I will be up to the Ironman, if ever.

Good luck and keep with it.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Thanks for the positive comments all.

The full Ironman is not till 2015. Have a sprint tri in June, then an Olympic distance in August.

Half IM early in 2015, then train up for the full later that year. Should be achievable I hope.

Can't wait to get the compulsory Ironman tattoo.

9 hours training a week seems about right, and luckily for me swimming is my strength (which is the thing most people worry about) so its just about getting my run and bike fitness up.

For those of you who have done halves / full IM's, where did you do them? I am considering the Outlaw in Nottingham as it seems the most forgiving course.

James
I did my IM race in Frankfurt, very nice course, closed roads on the bike and 4 lap run course. The crowds were immense and hugely supportive. I've also completed the Outlaw as the cyclist in a relay team, nice location and well organized but no closed roads. Run around the boating lake so plenty of support.

I've also done about 12 half IMs, Aberfeldy in Scotland is beautiful but challenging,Bala in Wales is similar, I did one in Northern Ireland with an evil sea swim and run across the beach that really sapped the strength from your legs. I've done the Vitruvian race 5 times, this is based around Rutland Water and is very well organised. It used to be a GB qualifying event so you got the best athletes competing so was expensive and filled up quickly, but was worth it.

Good luck.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I did my IM race in Frankfurt, very nice course, closed roads on the bike and 4 lap run course. The crowds were immense and hugely supportive. I've also completed the Outlaw as the cyclist in a relay team, nice location and well organized but no closed roads. Run around the boating lake so plenty of support.

I've also done about 12 half IMs, Aberfeldy in Scotland is beautiful but challenging,Bala in Wales is similar, I did one in Northern Ireland with an evil sea swim and run across the beach that really sapped the strength from your legs. I've done the Vitruvian race 5 times, this is based around Rutland Water and is very well organised. It used to be a GB qualifying event so you got the best athletes competing so was expensive and filled up quickly, but was worth it.

Good luck.

Bloody hell mate.

Any training tips?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hello All,

Just thought I would say that (if anybody cares) my blog has been updated with how my training is going.

First Olympic distance Traithlon in 6 weeks time!

James

http://www.ironsnook.co.uk

Good luck James - I thought what I did on Sunday (Olympic Tri followed by Brighton Marathon) was tough, but an Ironman is taking it to the next level. Like I said previously, the swimming would rule me out, but If I had to, I reckon I could get through it. All the best with the training. Triathlons are such fun.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Bloody hell mate.

Any training tips?

Train your weaknesses; go for consistent training; stay injury free; practice your feeding regime; train with the nutrition products you will use on the day; be confident that you can complete each discipline; make sure you get to the run feeling fresh; look good; smile when you cross the finish line.

Running is the discipline most likely to cause injury so only run once or twice a week. I hate running so did all my fitness work on the bike, either on a turbo trainer in the garage or out on the road. My run sessions were either very short and sharp speed sessions or 45 - 60 minute steady. I did one 20 mile run about 6 weeks prior to the race to give me confidence that I could do the distance. I wasn't particularly keen on swimming but as it was my weakness I trained a lot in that including some proper coaching; I was quite poor when I started so made big gains. Cycling was my strongest discipline and even taking it easy I managed 112 miles in 5 hours 40 minutes (did 5 hours 14 mins at The Outlaw) and felt really good getting off the bike and starting the run. The crowds really do give you a lift so use that energy.

I said before I started on my Ironman journey that I would only do it once, which is why I chose somewhere a bit more interesting than Nottingham! That said, I enjoyed it so much I subsequently did 3 IM distance races as the cyclist in a relay team, twice at Challenge Barcelona and once at The Outlaw. Challenge Barcelona is highly recommended and the family get a nice holiday as well.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good luck. I did have a friend who tried to do one and ended up with cronic fatigue. Its not for everyone..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Best of luck. Would love to have a go - I don't mind going out for a longish run or cycle, but swim like a brick and can't be bothered to learn how to swim properly. Doggy-paddling for 2 hours just wouldn't cut it really........

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I have been away from NSC for a very long time, but just wanted to resurrect this thread for anybody who cares and say.

I COMPLETED MY IRONMAN RACE!

15hrs and 15 minutes to swim 2.4miles, ride 112miles and then run a marathon.

Below is a video of me crossing the line.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I have been away from NSC for a very long time, but just wanted to resurrect this thread for anybody who cares and say.

I COMPLETED MY IRONMAN RACE!

15hrs and 15 minutes to swim 2.4miles, ride 112miles and then run a marathon.

Below is a video of me crossing the line.

Bloody fantastic effort!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Well done. Amazing stuff. I did my one and only triathlon last summer. I had to learn to swim which was hard work. I only did an Olympic length one and took 2 hrs 53. I am tempted by a half ironman but an ironman is just nuts and hats off to you for doing it.

Your next challenge should be celtman (google it) my cousin's husband came 4th or 5th this year and the TV pictures were amazing. The cycle is around the highlands and the marathon is nearly all cross country and involves climbing two mountains. Mere mortals like me can dream of ironman but having completed an ironman would you consider that?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow. Excellent stuff. Well done

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here