Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Official: Oscar resignation accepted***

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
This is really disappointing and shows there is something very wrong behind the scenes. There can't be any stability if we can't keep hold of a manager.

This.

We cannot carry on like this otherwise any manager worth his salt will not be interested in joining a 'hire them fire them' club.

And before someone says he resigned, you don't have 2 managers leave in 2 seasons for no reason, especially when both have been in the playoffs.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This is really disappointing and shows there is something very wrong behind the scenes. There can't be any stability if we can't keep hold of a manager.

Ex Barcelona player and academy coach, leads Tel Aviv to first promotion in first management job, leads Brighton into play offs in first 9 months of 3 year contract, but still decides to cut and run. something behind scenes is awry

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
True. So did Gus.

They were both allowed to bring in their own team, but why so keen to leave?

Must be more truth to the rumours he wasn't happy with the budget from a few weeks back than I gave them credit for, I don't believe he has taken the decision likely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Gutted.
The thing that ****s me off about this is what kind of motivation is this for the players going into a play off match. I can't accept that Oscar was giving his all to the play offs.
We started really well on Thursday. These are the facts I saw in the playoffs:

1) Derby are a good team, finishing 3rd and scoring the most goals
2) Luck wasn't on our side in the first game - both teams hit the bar, their attempt went in off the back of our keeper
3) Decisions didn't go our way in either game - penalty decisions and no red card
4) We were hugely hit by injuries in the second leg - seriously, what would any of us have predicted if told our back 4 would be Calderon, Dunk, Ward and Chicksen.
5) The above lead to us being outplayed in the end.

Sure we lacked fight in the end, but because of the above, not because Oscar wasn't planning on staying. Look at his reaction vs Forrest. And that of the team. And the start against Derby. They wanted to win regardless.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Paul Barber blatantly wrote that letter didn't he.

It will have been approved by OG, since it comes from him, and the club (I would guess PB and the media folks), since it is published on the official website.

Personally, I would guess that OG did get on well with PB; I'm inclined to believe what he says in the open letter. The club would be happy to let such sentiments from OG be published in part to counteract the negativity surrounding Gus' departure with many fans blaming PB. This wording basically says "OG's departure has nothing to do with him not getting on with PB, so whatever you may think about Gus's departure, OG's leaving does not show a trend with PB being the problem", all imo, obviously.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Not happy with this.

Interesting quote from him "I have enjoyed my first experience of English football..." Makes me wonder if he has had his head turned in the last few weeks.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Get in an English manager, go back to playing shit football like most of the league, make everyone happy...

Then laugh at the same knobs wanting a foreign influence in 3 years.

If we get in an English hoof manager then its bye bye alot of our foreign contingent and hello Zat Knight and Stephen Dobbie.

this :ohmy:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Very disappointed, he never really had the chance to build his own team. Regardless of what people will say, we had a good season with some great moments.

Onwards and upwards though, I'd like to see Clarke or Zola in the dugout next year, may not happen but I trust Tony to make the right appointment whoever it is.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Also, Oscar says he has been talking to the club for a while and they accepted his resignation immediately.

Makes you think the successor is already planned. Malky settled a couple of days ago with Cardiff....

Not sure he is the right man personally but who knows. BHAFC, always a drama, never a crisis...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
They were probably both told there was no more money to spend.

should be interesting with the replacement then.

We really want you to be our next manager, meet David Burke, he chooses the players, well he would do if we had some money but we don't, so what do you think, up for it?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It seems Sherwood is a shu in, with the bookies but I am not going to make any predictions after my Darren Ferguson debacle last season.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Who is going to discuss new contracts with those players out of contract now? Supposing new manager isn't happy with the signings?
Must get new manager soon to sort this out.
Of course, probably not manager's decision anyway!!!!!
Part of the problem?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I know he hasn't been happy for quite a while. At least his resignation has been done with class and dignity unlike some. Sherwood next it seems then.

Somehow we need to do a Burnley next season because we simply won't have the budget to compete financially again.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
This really saddens me, as it heralds another summer of disruption and a close season going begging (although this year may be slightly better with less transfer movement while the World Cup is ongoing).

What actually angers me is this constant curtain of secrecy. If Oscar has resigned and the club has accepted, then there is no pending threat of legal action, so why not just tell us what has happened and where the differences lie? I appreciate that the club has good reasons for keeping things under wraps (we don't need to go declaring our finances when trying to broker deals with competitors) but it just fills me with impotent despair to be so in the dark.

Sad stuff. Very sad. So near and yet so completely bloody far away. Again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here