Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martial goal

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...l-next-goal-contract-clause-85m-a7577576.html

Manchester United are set to pay £8.5m to Ligue 1 side AS Monaco the next time Anthony Martial scores due to an inserted clause in the player’s contract.

The Frenchman joined United in September 2015 for an initial £36m to become one of the most expensive teenagers in English football history.

However, it later emerged a series of clauses were written into the contract triggering payments as the Frenchman reached specific milestones at the club.

One such clause stated that United would be required to pay £8.5m to Martial's previous club once he reached his 25th competitive goal for the side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Clause in his 'transfer' or contract?

As I read it Monaco are due the money so it is a clause in the transfer agreement on him scoring 25 goals rather than his personal contract. I didnt read of any time clause so the extra money would go to Monaco eventually even if it took 3 seasons.,

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Have I just logged on to some United board by mistake?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
As I read it Monaco are due the money so it is a clause in the transfer agreement on him scoring 25 goals rather than his personal contract. I didnt read of any time clause so the extra money would go to Monaco eventually even if it took 3 seasons.,

See [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] post #3

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
See [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] post #3

Why would that be a clause in his personal contract when Monaco collect the money,. I would suggest that it is a poor expression of the terms of his contract in that article and it is a clause in the transfer agreement between the 2 clubs. Not that it matters it still cost them an extra £8.5m and Monaco got the money not him.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Why would that be a clause in his personal contract when Monaco collect the money,. I would suggest that it is a poor expression of the terms of his contract in that article and it is a clause in the transfer agreement between the 2 clubs. Not that it matters it still cost them an extra £8.5m and Monaco got the money not him.

Suspect you're right*, otherwise Martial should have 're-negotiated his contract' once he hit 24 goals... "give me £5m and we'll remove this Monaco nonsense" :)

*It's inevitable sooner or later

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
isnt this sort of structured payment is common for young players, especially on big headline fees? so much for appearances, goals, winning league/trophy, national squad appearances so on.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:shrug:

Ah well, I'm sure they can afford it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Joey Barton just cost United £8.5m for not stopping that attack in its tracks. No brainer to take the tactical yellow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here