Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT. Large bird of prey

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just adding - they are impressive birds, and very distinctive with their V tails. And much bigger than anything else in Southern England.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I managed to get a photo of it.

Attachments

• red kite.jpg
    red kite.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 367

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
The red kites I have seen from car on m40 are about quarter the size and have a much sharper v on their tails

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
There is one missing from a sanctuary near aldingbourne which has been on radio Sussex.
Can you email radio Sussex with any sightings

That sounds interesting. My first thought on seeing it was an eagle as I've never seen a bird that size apart from a heron

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The red kites I have seen from car on m40 are about quarter the size and have a much sharper v on their tails

If your sighting was of a bird FOUR times the size of a red kite (which has a wingspan of 70"), I'd get onto David Attenborough quick!

You've discovered a new species, almost double the size of the great albatross, and officially now the largest flying bird in the world. :clap2:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

The M40 is rife with Red Kites, there's a field just off the motorway by High Wycombe where they seem to congregate during the summer, quite spectacular.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The M40 is rife with Red Kites, there's a field just off the motorway by High Wycombe where they seem to congregate during the summer, quite spectacular.

Agreed - always look out for them if driving up that way. There are a load of pine trees beside the road at one point and they're usually circling above them

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Are those the fellas that you see hovering over a large part of the M40? Pretty sure their numbers are increasing feeding off the road kill.

Edit, sorry just seen the other post mentioning this. They are impressive to watch as you sail along at 70mph (but never more....)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Agreed - always look out for them if driving up that way. There are a load of pine trees beside the road at one point and they're usually circling above them

Off the Wycombe junction, it's a road to Marlow Bottom, where funnily enough has a decent brewery on the same road:cool:
Rebellion Brewery!

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Ok I am not certain how big red kite are but this had the wingspan of a heron. The other gardener saw it the day before and suggested harrier. Colour was wrong for hen harrier. Marsh harrier was closest match I could find.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'd probably still guess Buzzard. I've seen a huge variety of size and coloured birds all round sussex and some of them are seriously big.

Last edited:

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

I think this is/was the main re-introduction site which kick-started the Red Kite's revival in England about 15 years ago. It's certainly where I first started seeing them, anyway.

Almost crashed the car first time I saw one. Couldn't be anything else because of the forked tail and at the time, I thought they were still confined to wilder parts of Wales. Then I saw another one about half a mile down the road, and another half a mile after that. Looked it up when I got home and it turned out the population was already exploding, and they have since used the motorway network and its abundant roadkill to spread out over large parts of central England. Still haven't seen one in Sussex though, & was beginning to wonder why they hadn't made it down the M23, so good to hear they have started to arrive.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think this is/was the main re-introduction site which kick-started the Red Kite's revival in England about 15 years ago. It's certainly where I first started seeing them, anyway.

Almost crashed the car first time I saw one. Couldn't be anything else because of the forked tail and at the time, I thought they were still confined to wilder parts of Wales. Then I saw another one about half a mile down the road, and another half a mile after that. Looked it up when I got home and it turned out the population was already exploding, and they have since used the motorway network and its abundant roadkill to spread out over large parts of central England. Still haven't seen one in Sussex though, & was beginning to wonder why they hadn't made it down the M23, so good to hear they have started to arrive.

Definitely saw one on the Downs when out running one morning last year - between Clayton Hill and the A27 (not far from the Chattri site). It was on a fence within about 20 yards before flying off. Not seen any others though.

Buzzard numbers seem to be significantly increasing locally - had 5 circling over the house a couple of weeks ago (near to Bedelands in Burgess Hill) and very often see them when out plodding on the country lanes/trails.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Ok I am not certain how big red kite are but this had the wingspan of a heron. The other gardener saw it the day before and suggested harrier. Colour was wrong for hen harrier. Marsh harrier was closest match I could find.

Marsh Harriers are large birds of prey but smaller than kites - significantly smaller than herons.
Red kites can vary in colour (as can buzzards) but the V shape tail still suggests red kite for me.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I can tell you there have been a few near misses with people twitching and some.....
Glad you didn't crash :thumbsup:
On a lighter note, there's a pair that commute over my allotment, keeps the pigeons on their toes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here