Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bad crash on the Excelsior ride today, RN (Strava NSC geeks) came off on a gravel and pot holed bend on a descent not far from Bolney, followed by our elder statesman Bob who couldn't avoid the crashed bike. Result: 1 x Pinnerallo Dogma snapped clean in two through both top & bottom tubes, beautiful Colnago chromed vintage Columbus frame cracked and bent both tubes. Bob was okay and went home, RN went to hospital with a serious gashed leg - best wishes RN, I moved your frame out of your eyeline as I'm sure seeing it wasn't going to make your leg feel any better!

Be careful people, those flash flood followed by a gorgeous summers day can deceive the best of us.

Blimey, nasty. Does RN post on here?

A mate of mine broke the frame of his Trek when he had it on his car roof and went under a low bridge. :facepalm:

Trek gave him a new frame - they don't like it to seem as though their frames are not indestructible - or something. Worth sending photos to Pinarello and Colnago and giving it a go?

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Hi fellow geeks.

What are my rights regarding my mountain bike? I'm having problems with it and bought it back to the shop last Tuesday as it was making really irritating clicking and creaking noises. I've only had it for six weeks and done 45 miles max.

Picked it up Saturday morning and they said after 4 days of working on it said they had found the problem, it was the spokes and needed tightening.

Rode it home and nearing home the sounds returned, just been out and the noIsles are defiantly back.

It's unbearable and think they're parming me off. I'm taking it back tomorrow as don't enjoy riding now because the noise.

Basically what are my rights as it cost £3,300 and only 6 weeks old. Will I have to put up with it spending 4 days in the shop and ride it home only for me to return it a agian the following day.

I'm at a loose end now and bloody frustrated.

Any advise would be very welcomed :down:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hi fellow geeks.

What are my rights regarding my mountain bike? I'm having problems with it and bought it back to the shop last Tuesday as it was making really irritating clicking and creaking noises. I've only had only six weeks and done 45 miles max.

Picked it up Saturday morning and they said after 4 days of working on it said they had found the problem, it was the spokes and needed tightening.

Rode it home and nearing home the sounds returned, just been out and the noIsles are defiantly back.

It's unbearable and think they're parming me off. I'm taking it back tomorrow as don't enjoy riding now because the noise.

Basically what are my rights as it cost £3,300 and only 6 weeks old. Will I have to put up with it spending 4 days in the shop and ride it home only for me to return it a agian the following day.

My advice would be not to spend £3,300 next time.

For £3,450.99 you get a FAR better bike with no chance of clicking and creaking. :thumbsup:

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
My advice would be not to spend £3,300 next time.

For £3,450.99 you get a FAR better bike with no chance of clicking and creaking. :thumbsup:

That's not very helpful and has made more depressed. So basically you're saying I've no chance of an exchange or refund and have to suck it up and ride it even though it'll get worse. God I hate Sundays.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hi fellow geeks.

What are my rights regarding my mountain bike? I'm having problems with it and bought it back to the shop last Tuesday as it was making really irritating clicking and creaking noises. I've only had it for six weeks and done 45 miles max.

Keep going back. That's all you can do. They won't want you making a fuss in front of other customers. Its a pain I know.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Keep going back. That's all you can do. They won't want you making a fuss in front of other customers. Its a pain I know.

I will and I'm not easily phobed off. I'll bring my tent in and say I'm not moving till it's sorted then if that doesn't work then keep an eye out for the front page of the Argus. It seems I'm in for a long fight to get this issue resolved but I'll stay the course till they relent and back down.

Thanks for the reply.

Bad crash on the Excelsior ride today, RN (Strava NSC geeks) came off on a gravel and pot holed bend on a descent not far from Bolney, followed by our elder statesman Bob who couldn't avoid the crashed bike. Result: 1 x Pinnerallo Dogma snapped clean in two through both top & bottom tubes, beautiful Colnago chromed vintage Columbus frame cracked and bent both tubes. Bob was okay and went home, RN went to hospital with a serious gashed leg - best wishes RN, I moved your frame out of your eyeline as I'm sure seeing it wasn't going to make your leg feel any better!

Be careful people, those flash flood followed by a gorgeous summers day can deceive the best of us.

There was a guy from a large group run from East Grinstead that came a cropper coming down the hill at the Dyke golf club onto Dyke road. A broken collar bone I believe. True that the roads I was on today were at times very gravelly.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Completed my first sportive over the weekend and really enjoyed it!

I took the 60km route on the Brewood Cycle Challenge, as it is pretty near where I live. I was in the last group to start (I seemed to be the only person that was on time to register - everyone else was early, even though the pack asked riders for the shorter route to not register until the long-route riders had begun). As I had not ridden a sportive before, I spent the first 10k sat in the group - I guessed by their vastly more expensive bikes and kit, that they were more experienced and knew much more than I did.

After 10k I got bored of the constant breaking in the group and also the generally slow pace, so I rode off the front of the group and was surprised that nobody even tried to stick to my wheel. I carried on riding at my own pace, overtaking each group I came to. In the end, I was one of the first finishers, even though I had left in the final group. I was genuinely surprised at how slow the other riders were - I was expecting lots of people going hell for leather. I am super proud of my sub-£400 bike for out-climbing and generally being faster than lots far more expensive bikes (lesson learnt, by improving myself I can go lots faster, by improving my bike I can only go a little faster).

I will definitely enter another sportive, probably over a longer distance. I definitely felt that 60k was fairly easy - even though my longest ride beforehand was only 40k.

A fantastic day! I just wish I had more experience of riding in a group!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Completed my first sportive over the weekend and really enjoyed it!

I took the 60km route on the Brewood Cycle Challenge, as it is pretty near where I live. I was in the last group to start (I seemed to be the only person that was on time to register - everyone else was early, even though the pack asked riders for the shorter route to not register until the long-route riders had begun). As I had not ridden a sportive before, I spent the first 10k sat in the group - I guessed by their vastly more expensive bikes and kit, that they were more experienced and knew much more than I did.

After 10k I got bored of the constant breaking in the group and also the generally slow pace, so I rode off the front of the group and was surprised that nobody even tried to stick to my wheel. I carried on riding at my own pace, overtaking each group I came to. In the end, I was one of the first finishers, even though I had left in the final group. I was genuinely surprised at how slow the other riders were - I was expecting lots of people going hell for leather. I am super proud of my sub-£400 bike for out-climbing and generally being faster than lots far more expensive bikes (lesson learnt, by improving myself I can go lots faster, by improving my bike I can only go a little faster).

I will definitely enter another sportive, probably over a longer distance. I definitely felt that 60k was fairly easy - even though my longest ride beforehand was only 40k.

A fantastic day! I just wish I had more experience of riding in a group!!
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

The bike bling at sportives has always amazed me, hey each to there own.
Although as you found it does rather leave you open to accusations of 'cart before the horse'.

When learning the craft and testing myself, I always thought I could add another 10 or so miles to my then usual long routes, it's not as if I'd end a ride bent double unable to walk.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From personal experience I do have one word of caution when smuggly powering passed an 'all the gear...' rider.

Recently some whippersnapper popped out in front of me on Worthing seafront.
He rode balls out for a mile, spending more time looking over his shoulder at me, than looking forward.
Each look resulted in an extra effort.

Sure enough, looking at Strava fly-by later he did PB that section.
But what Fly-by also showed was he'd ridden 1 mile of his 1.2 mile journey.
I on the other hand was just approaching the 100th mile of my 110 mile journey.

I still have no idea how I managed to not call him out on Strava.
I'm sure he was loving 'beating' me, but it was hardly a fair fight.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
From personal experience I do have one word of caution when smuggly powering passed an 'all the gear...' rider.

Recently some whippersnapper popped out in front of me on Worthing seafront.
He rode balls out for a mile, spending more time looking over his shoulder at me, than looking forward.
Each look resulted in an extra effort.

Sure enough, looking at Strava fly-by later he did PB that section.
But what Fly-by also showed was he'd ridden 1 mile of his 1.2 mile journey.
I on the other hand was just approaching the 100th mile of my 110 mile journey.

I still have no idea how I managed to not call him out on Strava.
I'm sure he was loving 'beating' me, but it was hardly a fair fight.

Yeah, but you stayed with him though didn't you, just to let him know...:hilton:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, but you stayed with him though didn't you, just to let him know...:hilton:

He didn't gain as much distance on me as he should have done. :wink:

Bloody kids, no respect. :angry:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I'm doing the Wiggle Work from home sportive on Wednesday. 100k 5500ft of climbing. In memory of one of the guys who used to ride with us. He sadly passed away. Nice mid week challenge.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That time of year is almost upon us:-

League Name: NSC Geeks
League Code: 41202037269

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That time of year is almost upon us:-

League Name: NSC Geeks
League Code: 41202037269

Thanks SB.

I already picked a provisional team last night in about 5 minutes flat. Quite liked the look of it, but it needs to wait for the full startlist and a bit more thinking about before anything gets settled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here