Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

911, the evening of

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I missed the game on account of being on holiday in Italy, staying in the town where I lived in the early 70s. Most of my evening was spent worrying about the teaboy and his girlfriend, who were holidaying in Manhattan and were victims of the effective shutdown of the NYC phone network that made any sort of communication impossible.

It turned out, of course, that, despite being less than half a mile away, the young Bracknells had managed to sleep through the whole incident, waking up to discover, in Dan's words, that "It's a bit dusty out there".

It was two days before we received news that the young people were fine.

Although you make light of it it must have been truly terrible as a parent for those 48 hours of not knowing.
Needless to say glad to hear they were ok.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I went to that game but don't remember much about it as the following morning me & the wife were flying to falaraki (Rhodes)
To our amazement our flight left on time although our bums were a bit squeaky.

I do remember though that we played on the Friday night against either stoke or Brentford I think at withdean & we scored a last minuete winner to put us top of the league.

Please correct me if I have got that wrong.

Was at a team day for work at the Oval cricket ground. Very strange as he news filtered throught mid morning, lunchtime many of us were clustered round the security mans hut watching things unfold on his little TV. The minibus we returned home in I am sure had a TV so it was a very sombre journey home.

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
I went to that game but don't remember much about it as the following morning me & the wife were flying to falaraki (Rhodes)
To our amazement our flight left on time although our bums were a bit squeaky.

I do remember though that we played on the Friday night against either stoke or Brentford I think at withdean & we scored a last minuete winner to put us top of the league.

Please correct me if I have got that wrong.

We did pay on the Friday, but it was away at Wrexham, If I remember correctly we won 2-1 to go top of the league but I also think that Bobby Zamora missed a penalty which would have given him a hat-trick.

Although you make light of it it must have been truly terrible as a parent for those 48 hours of not knowing.
Needless to say glad to hear they were ok.
People often talk about the importance of "solidarity" in situations like this. That event brought this home to me. There were a few New Yorkers holidaying where we were staying, and there was an Italian woman working in the bar that we liked drinking in, who had a daughter who was honeymooning in New York at the time. In the absence of any hard news about friends and family and with nothing much to help us make sense of what had happened, we all found ourselves giving each other that quiet support that can be so helpful.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I was stuck in Leicester on a work training course. In terms of the game itself though, is it any wonder people have little memory of it after all this time? I honestly have little recollection of games and scores of Albion matches I attended last season. (no I don't have Alzheimers, although alcohol has certainly destroyed a fair few brain cells down the years).

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
We did pay on the Friday, but it was away at Wrexham, If I remember correctly we won 2-1 to go top of the league but I also think that Bobby Zamora missed a penalty which would have given him a hat-trick.

You are right we played stoke on Tuesday the 18th September while I was still in Rhodes & we won 1.0

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I was at work in haywards heath when my mate said that a plane had hit the twin towers. Everyone thought at first that a small private jet had gone off course and it was an accident, nothing to worry about..

Wendy Wilkins

May 23, 2014
Hove
I was at Lingfield Races in the afternoon and we were getting various reports through of what was unfolding and most of the group were tucking into the hospitality. As the course is on the Gatwick flight path we were witness to the directive to 'ground' all flights ASAP with planes coming in every minute or so. I too went to the Scummers game but couldn't really be arsed to be there. When I got home I watched all the news footage again and rang my cousin in Toronto to chat it through.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I think I remember that there wasn't a minutes silence although I think games the next day did.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yep. Just turned 16 and in my first week at Lewes college.

Was not aware that anything had happened until I arrived at the ground and it was almost silent. I found out from a few people but didn't really comprehend the magnitude until I got home later that evening to see it with my own eyes.

A bit of a diversion. What was Lewis College like? I had a place to do A levels but never went, ended up working and doing in the evening somewhere else. And no, i wasnt at the game but remember the day very well.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My only memory of the game is a very young Scott McDonald being very good for them. I'd never heard of him and thought for a while afterwards that he was going to have a much better career than he has had.

D

Deleted User X18H

There was a minutes silence before kick off everyone thought it was for the obvious . It wasn't. It was for a club official or similar . Zamora scored but disallowed lots of phone calls and disbelief. I worked I the City that day. Everyone walked over London Bridge head tilted watching seemingly hundreds of stacked up planes nervously. Because of that match I also remember the Saturday before 9/11 , reading the Argus and Perry's comments whilst in the Co-op in Baker Street.

D

Deleted User X18H

A bit of a diversion. What was Lewis College like? I had a place to do A levels but never went, ended up working and doing in the evening somewhere else. And no, i wasnt at the game but remember the day very well.
Lewis College ? Do you mean Lewis Collins?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was in Mauritius on my honeymoon. 5 days later we flew back with the route over Libya! I had my swiss army knife in my pocket just in case. Probably wouldn't have helped but it was the only reassurance I had. Looked at everyone on the flight with suspicion.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I was living in the Chicago area at the time. I had talked to a chap that morning who was working in the World Trade Center-Tower 1 about some financial thing I don't remember at all now. When we heard the news it was about 9:00 a.m. in Chicago. I kept thinking about the chap I had talked to that morning. I eventually tried to find out if he was okay. I kept seeing those ash covered faces of the people in Manhattan and thinking how did that chap get out. I heard from him about 3 months later and found out he worked on a lower floor and was able to get out by going down 30 flights of stairs. I was never so glad to hear what was essentially a stranger's voice as I was that day I talked to him again. :angel:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here