Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got a Turbo last year. It's pretty good, if basic. Elite-it.com - it's called the Crono.

One thing it did was to encourage me to go out on my bike in shitty weather. Or to the gym.

It really is hard to enjoy a Turbo Trainer.

:bowdown:

If you wish to continue even after the soundest advise from the soundest thread on NSC 2 bits of advise for you:-

- Don't spend extra money on a 'geared' turbo.
- Use youtube training sessions, don't just sit there pedaling.
- Keep the box it'll be easier to put in the loft and keep everything together when you move from house to house.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
TURBO TRAINER recommendations?

All, I am looking to source a reasonable turbo trainer for the winter evenings whilst trying to maintain my efforts accumulated through the Summer months. As a relative newbie to this cycling game, I'm not too sure where to start. They all look pretty similar to me (the magnetic ones). I have a max budget around £150 - £160 so am happy to consider 2nd hand as well (if you know of any available!)

Any advice most welcome...

I use a fluid turbo (Elite I think) and its pretty good. Resistance changes just by changing gear and its not too noisy.

They can be sheer torture but the results you get are impressive - and hour of intervals on the turbo is a serious workout.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
:bowdown:

If you wish to continue even after the soundest advise from the soundest thread on NSC 2 bits of advise for you:-

- Don't spend extra money on a 'geared' turbo.
- Use youtube training sessions, don't just sit there pedaling.
- Keep the box it'll be easier to put in the loft and keep everything together when you move from house to house.

Comments duly noted with thanks! Probably the best option is to buy some decent winter clothing, grow a pair and get out there!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Comments duly noted with thanks! Probably the best option is to buy some decent winter clothing, grow a pair and get out there!!
Especially as 'proper' winter is only for about a couple of months, and even then there will be great riding days thrown in.

If you are committed to a day and its pretty crappy weather, it is exhilarating to get out there and do it anyway.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Here you go [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION].

Titanium
Hydraulic brakes
SRM
'only' £99 over top end budget.

If you're not having this, you're on your own, sunshine:-

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPICKRIV22HRD/on-one-pickenflick-rival-22-hrd-cross-bike

Thanks, I did spot that one last night, well I saw someone mention it on Bikeradar. I notice you didn't mention it's lack of mudguard eyelets! ;)

If I was willing to forego the mudguard fixings I would be tempted to go for the carbon XLS with better wheels and groupset which weighs in almost 2kg lighter: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSCX1/planet-x-xls-sram-cx1-cyclocross-bike

Buying a bike is a minefield...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks, I did spot that one last night, well I saw someone mention it on Bikeradar. I notice you didn't mention it's lack of mudguard eyelets! ;)

If I was willing to forego the mudguard fixings I would be tempted to go for the carbon XLS with better wheels and groupset which weighs in almost 2kg lighter: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSCX1/planet-x-xls-sram-cx1-cyclocross-bike

Buying a bike is a minefield...

I don't know much about CX but won't you struggle to find a CX bike with mudguard eyelets - bit like mudguards on a MTB, people just don't seem to do it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't know much about CX but won't you struggle to find a CX bike with mudguard eyelets - bit like mudguards on a MTB, people just don't seem to do it.

:lolol: you've got to get to the back of a very long queue before handing out that advise.

I've got to admire [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION]'s dogged determination in his pursuit of 'THE' bike.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Just had my first go using the Park Tool CM 5.2 chain cleaner tonight.

Blimey! It works amazingly well. Very quick and easy to use. I've never had a chain so clean!

A nice touch is the magnet at the bottom that attracts any metal filings that come off in the cleaning process and stops them going round and round in the brushes as they clean.

Thoroughly recommend this tool if like me you've just been using wet wipes and the occasional going over with an old toothbrush.

Go easy on it. They are not as robust as they look. May not bother with a new one. Can't see the point if I'm shelling out for a new chain and set of gears every year anyway.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Noooooo! Why did you have to do that!

Until we see details of the bike he was riding, I think we can still claim Bono is a bike rider rather than a cyclist! Can't we?

Though if ever there was a subsection of society that could deal with disappointment and disillusionment, the road bike enthusiast would surely be the one, see Armstrong, Lance; Pantani, Marco etc, etc.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I think this might be worse than an fkw!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416596763643.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416596763643.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 90

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ninja needs some strava love.
I'm eagerly awaiting day 2 to pop up.
In the meantime day 1 looks a lot lumpier than i expected and only has 3 kudos' :down:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ninja needs some strava love.
I'm eagerly awaiting day 2 to pop up.
In the meantime day 1 looks a lot lumpier than i expected and only has 3 kudos' :down:

My Strava involvement doesn't normally stretch to kudos, comments, following etc. I just use it to see my rides and sometimes look at the rides of others I know on there. However, made an exception for the Ninja on his Norwich mission and added some Kudos - Top work!

Very nice recent ride from yourself btw SB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here