Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Under 8's football in Brighton

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My lad is currently playing for a team out in hove but it's a bit of a pain in the backside as we're in Queens Park. Can anyone recommend a good Brighton based kids team for next season? Cheers in advance :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not sure about your sons age group but as a club I can recommend Patcham United, my youngest son plays for them and they have a good set up.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
What team does your son play for? My sons 5 & I'll be looking for a team for him soon.

I know nothing about brighton teams - sorry

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Thanks people. Patcham's a bit of a trek too. When I was a kid you had Hollingbury hawks, bevendean Barcelona and Queen's Park Jaguars. Hopefully that website will reveal that they still exist

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good luck with it: I spent two years trying to find a Brighton football team for my son - Patcham, Hollingbury, Coldean and others were all full with no vacancies on the waiting list. He's given up looking now.

There's a desperate shortage of teams in Brighton, a far cry from what it is like when I was young

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Our under 8s are pretty good - we have two teams and two great coaches who both work for the Albion in the Community. Ping me your details and I can pass on your details to them.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
as said before your choice will be very limited It's a case of taking what you can get

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My lad is currently playing for a team out in hove but it's a bit of a pain in the backside as we're in Queens Park. Can anyone recommend a good Brighton based kids team for next season? Cheers in advance :thumbsup:

Be honest he got dropped didnt he ???

If he was playing each week, captain and on pens, the trip from Queens Park to Hove would be the easiest trip in the world :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good luck with it: I spent two years trying to find a Brighton football team for my son - Patcham, Hollingbury, Coldean and others were all full with no vacancies on the waiting list. He's given up looking now.

There's a desperate shortage of teams in Brighton, a far cry from what it is like when I was young

The problem (or solution depending on how you look at it) arises out of all teams needing to achieve a standard as set by the FA if they want to compete in any leagues etc. Each team needs a minimum FA Level 1 qualified coach*, and any helping parents need to be CRC checked. There are also insurances and other matters to consider which is a far cry from when we were young.

Unless more parents volunteer to help, established clubs cannot field more teams. We're fortunate at Fishersgate Flyers U9 in that I managed them on my own as a single team of about 14 at U7's, but in roping in other parents (one of whom has played at a decent level) we now have 5 parents running 2 teams with now 32 kids signed on now we're U9's.

3 more of us are now booked onto Level 1 courses, so we'll have 4 qualified coaches by the start of next season. We still have to turn kids away though which is a real shame but we simply cannot manage more than 32 on any given training morning.

*this might only apply to teams looking to achieve FA Chartered Club status. [MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] can probably correct me on that.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Woodingdean YFC is only a short bus ride away. Training is on Sat 09:00 till 10:30. PM me if you want more info. My son plays in the u8's i coach u9's

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
In the thread list, this looks wrong. It is very nearly Jimmy Saville asking about Under 8's.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The problem (or solution depending on how you look at it) arises out of all teams needing to achieve a standard as set by the FA if they want to compete in any leagues etc. Each team needs a minimum FA Level 1 qualified coach*, and any helping parents need to be CRC checked. There are also insurances and other matters to consider which is a far cry from when we were young.

Unless more parents volunteer to help, established clubs cannot field more teams. We're fortunate at Fishersgate Flyers U9 in that I managed them on my own as a single team of about 14 at U7's, but in roping in other parents (one of whom has played at a decent level) we now have 5 parents running 2 teams with now 32 kids signed on now we're U9's.

3 more of us are now booked onto Level 1 courses, so we'll have 4 qualified coaches by the start of next season. We still have to turn kids away though which is a real shame but we simply cannot manage more than 32 on any given training morning.

*this might only apply to teams looking to achieve FA Chartered Club status. [MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] can probably correct me on that.

Yeah, that makes sense: I was asked by one of the clubs if I would be interested in coaching and if I were, then my son could have a place for next season.

I declined, partly because I was a pretty poor footballer and not sure what I could have taught, but mainly because I already devote 16 hours a week to taking my kids to sports and other activities (I help coach at my son's cricket team) and I couldn't see myself giving up more time.

This is going to be an ever-increasing problem: we have less spare time these days as we work longer hours and spend longer commuting; what's it going to be like in 20 years time?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Be honest he got dropped didnt he ???

If he was playing each week, captain and on pens, the trip from Queens Park to Hove would be the easiest trip in the world :)

Ha! He always gets a game but it's a new club and the actual games are few and far between. Games are portslade way, training on the other side of town bang in rush hour. Just not an ideal set up all round.

One thing I would say, watching some of the kids coming through has been enlightening. Saw one kid playing for mile oak who was completely two fitted, passing with the outside of his foot, excellent touch... The coaching at grass roots might just be working

D1AX

Jun 20, 2013
West Hove Dynamos, play out of Wish Park. My lad has been to the saturday morning drop-ins since he was 4, has played for them from under 7's now plays for the under 9's. Great club, well run, fantastic coaches.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thanks people. Patcham's a bit of a trek too. When I was a kid you had Hollingbury hawks, bevendean Barcelona and Queen's Park Jaguars. Hopefully that website will reveal that they still exist

Patcham's a trek? Sorry you didn't say you were walking :wink:
Takes me 20 minutes on a Saturday morning to drive to Patcham from Newhaven for training.

TBH I don't know of any central Brighton teams and I don't think either of my lads have played an away match on a central
Brighton pitch.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Patcham's a trek? Sorry you didn't say you were walking :wink:
Takes me 20 minutes on a Saturday morning to drive to Patcham from Newhaven for training.

TBH I don't know of any central Brighton teams and I don't think either of my lads have played an away match on a central
Brighton pitch.

Fair enough. Perhaps I will have to put up with current arrangements. It's a shame that all the clubs that were around when I was a kid seem to have disappeared. Queen's Park jags was full of kids from hanover, Queen's Park and the Hawk. It's a shame that local vibe only seems to exist in Hove now.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Fair enough. Perhaps I will have to put up with current arrangements. It's a shame that all the clubs that were around when I was a kid seem to have disappeared. Queen's Park jags was full of kids from hanover, Queen's Park and the Hawk. It's a shame that local vibe only seems to exist in Hove now.

One thing I would find out when choosing a new club, how much is the subs?
A club my son used to play for before moving to Patcham Utd were charging more than double to what I pay now.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
All Charter Standard clubs must have FAL1. Incorportated within that is the Safeguarding Children certificate and Emergency Aid, which in my view are vital if you're running a kids team.

If you're not a CS Club, then you don't need to have a FAL1, although nowadays, I would question why parents would want to join a club that doesn't have at least the lowest standard of CS accreditation. Especially, as coaches of those clubs get preferential rates on Coaching Courses and free access to CPD events.

I would always say that when you're looking at clubs for your kids, you need to look at their older age groups, how long they've been around and check out their Club Ethos (all well run clubs will have an upto date website with their codes of conducts on them) and as @BN9BHA says, check out their registration fees.

Some clubs have certain age groups which have a better overall reputation than others and so if a club is charging you more than £120 a year, then you need to question why and what you get for it. Am happy to offer impartial advice to anyone.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

I guess it's about what is or isn't convenient for you.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Montpelier Villas

They train at Falmer. I think they may have some spaces in the younger age group.

Your best bet would be to have a look here
http://full-time.thefa.com/ProcessP...electedCompetition=0&psSelectedLeague=1697069

and then contact each team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here