Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
What i find confusing in all this is why Goldson would want to play in Scotland. The level of football there is so dire that the league may as well not even exist.

You must be joking.

Playing in front on 40,000 who worship you.

Massive profile up there. He will be like an A list celebrity.

Money

Playing

Chance to springboard onto an even bigger move.

Look at all the top players that have played up there , most absolutely loved it.

Perfect move I'd suggest.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
You must be joking.

Playing in front on 40,000 who worship you.

Massive profile up there. He will be like an A list celebrity.

Money

Playing

Chance to springboard onto an even bigger move.

Look at all the top players that have played up there , most absolutely loved it.

Perfect move I'd suggest.

And (although, probably quite briefly) Europa League football too.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The last time we were in the top league we were buying players from Rangers (Gordon Smith), now we're selling ours to them. That's progress, but not sure in which direction.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just because they have a large following and used to play in Europe does not detract from the fact that the league is noddy and pointless.

In which case Goldson will be a huge star in it, bringing to it a whole new level of football ability. It won't be pointless for him.

And by the way, I'm no fan of Rangers (sectarianism and all that) but just because they have a large - no, a huge - following and play regularly in Europe, they are actually quite a big club. I'd still rather Goldson went on a season long loan and came back to us next June, but what is what is, and I wish him well anyway - I shall follow his progress with interest.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Or he wanted the players in each position that are most suited to the type of football he wants to play. Which is fair enough.
What type of football does he want to play?

Because as far as i can see we have a defender who is very good on the ball in Dunk?

Greer, too, was very good on the ball.

You seem to be suggesting Hughton just wants a big lump that's good at heading and that Goldson is the better player (again, based on a good 5 months in the Championship and a decent performance v a dire Watford side). Is that right?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My Shrewsbury supporting colleague is quite pleased about this deal as apparently the Shrews have a 20% sell on clause from when they sold Goldson to us.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What i find confusing in all this is why Goldson would want to play in Scotland. The level of football there is so dire that the league may as well not even exist.

On the one side of the coin that is very true, the flip side says that if he does even reasonably well, he will be stand out like a beacon from his team mates, so in time it could lead to even bigger clubs taking note of him and wanting his signature.

Until recently of course Scottish football was pretty much exclusively about Celtic and Rangers, now its's all about errr Celtic. With Rangers partial demise, it means the likes of Aberdeen, the two Edinburgh clubs, Kilmarnock, Dundee etc. can all give Rangers competitive games.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In Scotland..................nuff said.

I think you'll find that the Steven Gerrard factor will guarantee that interest goes way beyond just Scotland. Anyway, love them or loath them, Rangers still have a bigger global footprint than, say, Brighton and Hove Albion for instance - just think of all those millions of ex-pat Scots that turn up in every corner of the world.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I think you'll find that the Steven Gerrard factor will guarantee that interest goes way beyond just Scotland. Anyway, love them or loath them, Rangers still have a bigger global footprint than, say, Brighton and Hove Albion for instance - just think of all those millions of ex-pat Scots that turn up in every corner of the world.

We dont yet know if Gerrard is any good at being a manager. Its a gamble by Rangers, he could be out the door after 3 months for being useless as far as we know. Being a good footballer does not automatically make you a good manager.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
In which case Goldson will be a huge star in it, bringing to it a whole new level of football ability. It won't be pointless for him.

And by the way, I'm no fan of Rangers (sectarianism and all that) but just because they have a large - no, a huge - following and play regularly in Europe, they are actually quite a big club. I'd still rather Goldson went on a season long loan and came back to us next June, but what is what is, and I wish him well anyway - I shall follow his progress with interest.

100% agree. I think players look at someone like Virgil Van Dijk and think, SPL may not be the highest league, but it's a great stepping stone to get into the heads of the bigger clubs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We dont yet know if Gerrard is any good at being a manager. Its a gamble by Rangers, he could be out the door after 3 months for being useless as far as we know. Being a good footballer does not automatically make you a good manager.
No, we don't know if he'll be a good manager, but we do know that his profile is huge, he is very famous and well-known, and Rangers' (and Gerrard's) progress will be watched closely far further afield. Whether he's any good as a manger or not, nothing will change those facts.
Yes, we all know that good players do not automatically become good managers; and we all know that the standard of Scottish football is not high. Most of us, however, also know that these things are quite irrelevant when it comes to this being a great move for Connor (just as long as he delivers on the field, of course).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Considering there are less than 7 million Jocks in Scotland I think the chances of finding millions around the world is slim. Gerrard, Scouse. Moving on, global footprint, BHA's has grown massively in 5 years, Rangers has at least diminished?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Considering there are less than 7 million Jocks in Scotland I think the chances of finding millions around the world is slim. Gerrard, Scouse. Moving on, global footprint, BHA's has grown massively in 5 years, Rangers has at least diminished?
There are more Scots living outside Scotland than in it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here